Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:56:50 PM]

[Today at 03:38:07 PM]

[Today at 03:22:32 PM]

[Today at 01:56:07 PM]

[Today at 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Worst Injury?  (Read 4866 times)

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Watched a guy at pacific city (Oregon) roll on return and got slapped in the melon by the full weight of his Outback, gave him a pretty decent cut.

This is why Scott GB2 started wearing a helmet on re entry!

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
First Angler of the Day tournament at Inseins place near Bodega.
I was fishing Ocean Cove.
Getting ready to wrap things up I scooted forward in my seat to rearrange something in the footwell.
Filet knife came out of the sheath without my knowledge and slid into the seating area.
When I slid back into the seat I got stabbed right below my hip and waist; upper ass cheek.
Kept my wetsuit to keep things compressed until I got back to Insein's place.
Went into the bathroom to assess the damage.
Dropped trow and was leaning over trying to look at the wound in my ass when Fishunters wife walked in on me.
Good times.
Probably could have used a couple stitches but did a good enough job with a butterfly bandage.

Wowwwww!  Thats insane Tote.  The ignominy of getng walkd in on while u were self inspecting lol

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
whatever I did I hurt my shoulder badly.

its them ligament n tendon injuries that stay w us n nevr seem to heal!

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Getting finger grabbed by a crab... mighty terrible. Avoid at all costs..

happened 2me on my first PB crabbing trip outta HMB. skipper pried while I cried lol

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Heard of someone getting their leg broken by their kayak while landing at the Bean.

dang!  i seen many yard sales from buddies eatng frijole isht burgers. but mostly ppl embarrassed yet able to walk away

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
A week later I was diagnosed with inguinal hernias on both sides.  One of which had already been repaired six months earlier but needed it again.

dayum!  bilat surgery from rescuing a fellow boater.   that stinks.  knowing the outcome would u make the same choice?

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Noodling for Pachali.  That left a mark.

OK u bes elabr8 here :smt044

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I fell onto my ass with the kayak crashing down on my head. I was totally flattened by the impact with the wind knocked out of me and a gash on my eyebrow that pumped pretty good for a while.

some straight tom n jerry looney tunes action rt there.  glad no lasting damage!

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I sat on a Rapala. That's Dr Tall Paul in the operating room...

buddy system!  thankfully u were exfilng the next day otherwise u cdv got a mean infection!

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I reached toward fish and one of the spines on that sucker buried itself deep into the palm of my hand.

everyone of us has gotten or will be spined, it suxxxxxxxx!

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I remember this thread from years ago that made me decide to start carrying compound cutters with me every time I go fishing.  http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=24247.msg255181#msg255181

I buy these and was able to cut through any hook I tried with them and they work great as a pair of pliers!

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWHT70277-Compound-Action-Pliers/dp/B005OXTPMW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=13PNUQ661CT27&keywords=dewalt+Compound+Action+Long+Nose+Pliers&qid=1680061211&sprefix=dewalt+compound+action+long+nose+pliers%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:03:24 PM by AlsHobieOutback »
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I remember this thread from years ago that made me decide to start carrying compound cutters with me every time I go fishing.  http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=24247.msg255181#msg255181

I buy these and was able to cut through any hook I tried with them and they work great as a pair of pliers!

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWHT70277-Compound-Action-Pliers/dp/B005OXTPMW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=13PNUQ661CT27&keywords=dewalt+Compound+Action+Long+Nose+Pliers&qid=1680061211&sprefix=dewalt+compound+action+long+nose+pliers%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2
How corrosion resistant are those Dewalt compound action long nose pliers?  If they're real corrosion resistant, you could use them for extracting hooks from fish, and in an emergency for cutting a hook.  However, if you primarily want the compound pliers for cutting a hook in an emergency situation, a pair of compound action diagonal cutting pliers could be easier to get into tight spaces than the cutter on a pair of long nose pliers,and you could keep the diagonal cutting plierst in a waterproof bag or container to protect them from corrosion.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 12:46:26 AM by pmmpete »

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I have a pair of compound pliers like that on my workbench at home, super handy for sure. I carry a regular needle nose fishing plier on the kayak, and a side cutter, like this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-diagonal-cutters-with-comfort-grip-64105.html

I keep them handy, mainly for cutting mono. They would cut a hook like butter too. Also, not to be ignored, the angle of the cutting edge makes it easy to get in to wherever I need to cut, without manipulating the object. So, if a hook is stuck in me, I can just cut it, and don't need to turn it or pull it to get an angle to cut.
- Kevin

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Kayak diving.  I came in at SWS with Fuzz and for some reason had my eyes glued to a couple divers just on the other side of the pier that were wrapping up.  One guy was trying to unload his pneumatic speargun and was fidgeting with it a little too much.  He gave up and extended his arm and pulled the trigger.  I see the shaft launch and spring back due to it being attached to the shooting line and that long piece of steel came back and embedded itself in his shin.  It was horizontal to the beach until the poor guy fell down screaming...at which point it was perpendicular. 

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
So, if a hook is stuck in me, I can just cut it, and don't need to turn it or pull it to get an angle to cut.

These wd have been so clutch for cutting through that jighead stuck in Jeff's neck.  At the time I had the standard berkley classic 8" fishing needlenose.  Not only did the length work against me, they didn't have the sufficient cutting leverage.  I remember wrenching and wrenching on the thing with cold-hampered dexterity till the plier edges finally contacted each other, seemd interminably long while blood squirted down and across homie's neck. 

I see the shaft launch and spring back due to it being attached to the shooting line and that long piece of steel came back and embedded itself in his shin.  It was horizontal to the beach until the poor guy fell down screaming...at which point it was perpendicular. 
:smt107 :smt107 :smt107 :smt107 :smt107 :smt107  What happened next?  Ambulance or they drove off under their own power?  incredible!  I'm imagining his buddy pulling the shaft all the way through ...

anything