Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rescued a flipped kayak at HMB today 9/18  (Read 4300 times)

MauiBen

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
I was out in my Whaler today, making bait between the jaws and the green buoy. I heard a faint "help!" in the distance, and looked around and saw a flipped kayak 200 yards away.  I motored over and picked the guy up. He was wearing a dry suit, so he was in good shape, but clearly shaken. We flipped his kayak upright and he got back on. He said his name was Roger (I think) and he was in a camo Hobie. I told him I was MauiBen on NCKA, but he didn't say if he was on here. Then he made a bee line for the harbor.

Despite the moderate swell and wind, the sea was very sloshy and chaotic. A lot of kayakers were heading in at that time (around 10:30am). I saw a small 13ft Whaler go out the jaws and turn around and go right back in.

I'm wondering if you're reading this, Roger? I picked up some of your stuff that was floating around. Got a spool of line, a lure, gulp grubs, snacks. If you want them, drop me a PM.

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Why do so many people go out alone?
Old Town Bigwater 132
Old Town Bigwater 132 PDL

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
personal issues idk... depends on experience and comfort. But I don’t judge.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

Going out alone is fine if you're also prepared and an experienced mariner.  I do a lot of solo trips.  I say my PLB is my "buddy" and my hundreds of thousands of miles on the water gives me enough experience to know when it's not good to go out or it's time to head in early.

I think a better question is why do so many people skip self-rescue practice until it's an emergency?
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

MauiBen

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
He was well prepared with the dry suit, at least. Didn't see if he had a radio, but if he did, I guess it wasn't attached to him when he flipped. That would have been helpful. Lucky I had the motor off and was able to hear him. He said to me "you saved my life", but I doubt that. He could have lasted a long time in that dry suit, and there were many other boats and kayaks around. If I wasn't there, someone else would have noticed him before long. He was not far from the jaws. I bet he could have swum to the jetty and climbed up on the rocks.

I didn't get a chance to ask him if he tried to flip the kayak back over. He was kind of freaked out and took off before much conversation could take place.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 06:26:55 PM by MauiBen »

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Also do a lot of solo trips…if you practice self rescuing, have everything safety-wise, dressed for the drink, and a bit of confidence, there’s no need to panic when shit hits the fan.

He’s lucky that it didn’t happen somewhere w/o much boat traffic.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I understand those with a lot of experience and who are prepared going alone. I am fully prepared to go over any time I get in my kayak. I have practiced self rescue several times and have not had much of an issue getting back on. Maybe panic was a factor here. I dunno. So many are worried about sharks, but what will really get you is lack of preparation.
Old Town Bigwater 132
Old Town Bigwater 132 PDL

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks for running rescue duty. I was out on my paddle kayak near 1S and conditions got a little sloppy but not worse than expected.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thanks for running rescue duty. I was out on my paddle kayak near 1S and conditions got a little sloppy but not worse than expected.
I've only been out once on da stealth, how bout dat slop, did you feel glued to the ocean? :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
It felt good. The hull of the 475 slaps more than I’d like when paddling into chop, and the seat depression stays full of water from the waves, but it never felt unstable.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Yakkin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I heard over the radio that a camo kayaker was rescued by boater.  Good to know it's NCKA member that provided the assistance.  Thank you MauiBen for rescuing the kayaker.   On my way back, I found a landing net bobbing up and down near the green buoy.  Camo kayaker, DM me to pick it up.  It's probably yours.

On another note,  the weather reports looks pretty decent for today 2.5 ft@10 secs.  why actual condition was so bad?  Did I missed something?

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007

Going out alone is fine if you're also prepared and an experienced mariner.  I do a lot of solo trips.  I say my PLB is my "buddy" and my hundreds of thousands of miles on the water gives me enough experience to know when it's not good to go out or it's time to head in early.

I think a better question is why do so many people skip self-rescue practice until it's an emergency?

Hundreds of thousand miles on a kayak?
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
It felt good. The hull of the 475 slaps more than I’d like when paddling into chop, and the seat depression stays full of water from the waves, but it never felt unstable.
Thanks Krishna.  Hope we get out and slay, I'll take my meclazine so I'm not a party pooper... :smt005 :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

Circumnavconflation

Bouché

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Circumnavconflation

Bouché
Just to be clear, I think brother Tedski is logging his CG boat miles in his experience... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm