Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:23:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:57:41 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tingle toes  (Read 2990 times)

Bekaykay

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I get painful numb toes when I've been on my Hobie for a few hours.  It feels like there's a thread wrapped around my second toe specifically. If I stand or sit cross legged for a while it gets better for a little bit.  No problem when I'm at the lake and getting out of the kayak to fish from shore occasionally, but when I'm coming back 3 miles from fishing in the ocean or bay, in waves, it's horrible. 

Does anybody have any tricks up their sleeves for this?

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I get painful numb toes when I've been on my Hobie for a few hours.  It feels like there's a thread wrapped around my second toe specifically. If I stand or sit cross legged for a while it gets better for a little bit.  No problem when I'm at the lake and getting out of the kayak to fish from shore occasionally, but when I'm coming back 3 miles from fishing in the ocean or bay, in waves, it's horrible. 

Does anybody have any tricks up their sleeves for this?
I’m sorry.  I paddle yet numb or tingling can occur at times.  Toes for me would be restrictive foot wear.  Sometime I over sock then put in a boot over the drysuit socks and it’s snug.  Hope it works out and you find the proper stretch or strengthening for your body peddle mechanics...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:12:29 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I deal with this a lot on both the kayak and the bicycle.  On the kayak, I've found changing foot positions on the pedals to be helpful.  I'll change my knee position slightly (further apart or closer together by a few inches) to cause a different area on the balls of my feet to contact the pedal.  I'll also change which area of the balls of my feet touch the pedal surface by moving my feet forward or aft on the pedal.  This seems to help a ton.  I'm no doctor or physiologist, so take what I say with a grain of salt... I don't know if my tactics are helpful or hurtful in the long run.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Don’t use the Hobie foot strap things. Also you can occasionally kick both legs over one side of the kayak while sitting sideways in the seat and kick your legs to stretch them out.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
In addition to what others have said, when I was using a pedal kayak I realized that even when I was pushing with my right leg my left foot was still gently pressing against the pedal, so my feet never got a break from the pressure. Try consciously un-weighting the inactive foot on each pedal stroke, at least once in a while.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Do a really good stretch of the Piriformis before you head out.
<=>

Bekaykay

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I'll try these things!  It's always really helpful to take a break and just stretch my legs out of sit cross-legged, but that's so hard to do if it's choppy out.  I guess I could switch to paddle for a while.  I should definitely be stretching more.

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I also have this problem. Cross legged forsure, sometimes ill just bust out the paddle for a little bit. Rotation through pedel strokes, I try to get circulation going by just using my calves, one leg extended and one bent and just little calf strokes lol, then switch.

It might also be a seat position issue, I have everything up top but I noticed some of my buddies drop the kickstand or bring it to the bottom. So maybe we can play with that.
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I'll end up the same way after a decent paddle, sometimes feeling numb all the down the backs of my legs from my hamstrings to my toes. I've tried to be better about stopping every hour or so to stretch recently. I usually just slide my legs off each side of the kayak, essentially straddling the kayak. This gets your butt off the seat for a moment which takes pressure off those nerves and restores some blood flow. That plus adding a few stadium seat pads to my seat seems to help alot.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I used to get that a lot when wearing my drysuit. But, since I've been using a wetsuit this year, it's entirely disappeared. I assume that it was due to a seam in the drysuit socks that would put the slightest pressure on my toes. That seemed to be enough to cause problems. With the wetsuit, I use comfortable smartwool socks, and my booties are oversized.

So, I'd suggest trying (very) loose-fitting footwear to see if that helps.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
like someone else said, don't use the foot straps for a little bit see if that helps, you can adjust the footstrap tightness if so.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
You don't need that 2nd toe anyways.  :smt005

I get that once in a while and I do what Tedski mentioned, I try changing the distance my knees are apart, and pedal with different areas of the foot.  Worst case, just take a break, light one up and stretch out.  :smt003
If you ain't first, you're last.

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Make sure your foot ware is not too tight. Could be sciatic nerve issue too. Posture it probably not very good in a pedal kayak.
Old Town Bigwater 132
Old Town Bigwater 132 PDL

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Hooking some fish may be good for them woes.. :fishing2

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Do a really good stretch of the Piriformis before you head out.

KEEP YOUR Piriformis IN YOUR PANTS!!!!!

Bouché

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News