Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:12:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Learning to Fly Fish in the Sierra  (Read 2675 times)

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I'm looking for a place that a guy can camp, chill and fly fish beginner-style for a couple of days midweek. I'm not looking for anyone's sensitive information. I'm learning how to fly fish for trout, so I'd like to go somewhere that I can hook fish-I don't care if they're wild or planters. Preferably, there's not a ton of people or other fisherman around who are going to vibe the beginner dude.

Current thought is June Lake area-anyone have other recs? I'd like to stay generally out of the ridiculously smokey zone.
Thanks for your help!

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Spent most of last year living in Twain Harte before moving back to my home town.  I can say that you can have endless fun on the Stanislaus River, and do some camping and fly fishing, as well as hit some of the lakes in the area as well.  Not sure if it's smokey or not, not following the conditions up there.  But I can look up some of the turnoffs if your interested.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Spent most of last year living in Twain Harte before moving back to my home town.  I can say that you can have endless fun on the Stanislaus River, and do some camping and fly fishing, as well as hit some of the lakes in the area as well.  Not sure if it's smokey or not, not following the conditions up there.  But I can look up some of the turnoffs if your interested.

Was looking at the area around Dardanelles as well. Lee Vining Creek is also an option-too many options! Any info you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated-PM or on the board-your choice.

Thank you sir!

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Martis Creek Lake
<=>

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
The Clarks Fork is an awesome spot, which they also plant trout in and we had days with multiple limits there.  Go far down the end and find a day use spot that is free parking and where they plant them at.  Can pretty much park anywhere along it and trek down though.  You can also camp at lots of spots along the river if your prepared for roughing it and have a vehicle that can drive the forest roads.  Frasier Flat can be reached from a spot near the top of 108 or from a spot driving in from Strawberry and is one of my favorites. 

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Oh, and for a local Fly Shop, the one in Twain Harte, CA is a good spot to hand over some $$$ and get some local intel. :smt003

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
definitely smoky. was up there yesterday.

LuiG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
+1 on Clark Fork off 108. Also consider West Walker  on the other side of Sonora Pass.  Good camping all along that stretch of 108. I usually do that area in early October to catch the Aspens, nights are cold though.

I was also going to suggest Upper Sacramento River.  Lots of good water and camping all along 5. Trains can be loud at night though. If you head up that way check in at the Ted Fay fly shop in Dunsmuir, assuming they are still open. Ask about Cantera Loop.
Hobie Revo 13

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thank you guys. As of now, my plan is to head up and find a campsite along either Lee Vining Creek or the MF of the North San Joaquin. Going to check out the East Fork Carson, Hot Creek and whatever else I stumble upon on the way.

IsaoK

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Lmk how it goes! Try as I might to get the little one into casting a spinning setup, he seems drawn to fly casting  :smt010
So far amber is into it but I don’t think she has seen the price tag on the fly gear….

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Lmk how it goes! Try as I might to get the little one into casting a spinning setup, he seems drawn to fly casting  :smt010
So far amber is into it but I don’t think she has seen the price tag on the fly gear….

Haha it's a bottomless pit for sure but possible to keep it simple. A cheap Cabela's 5-6 wt combo is all you need!

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile

Haha it's a bottomless pit for sure but possible to keep it simple. A cheap Cabela's 5-6 wt combo is all you need!
That's all I got  :smt044  Then save some money for the fly budget  :smt003

Tractor_Helmet

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
If you have a 4x4 with decent clearance, leavitt lake is great. You can camp next to the lake and practice long casts. There are plenty of Brookies and rainbows in there. A half mile east is a lake called ski lake that is full of golden trout. Mornings and evenings they were hitting any dry fly you throw out there and a few bigger ones went for hoppers. You can hit the stretch of the Stan on the 108 on the way back too. I was just there last weekend. It wasn’t too smoky until Sunday when we left. Not sure if it’s cleared up.

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hat Creek, is a spot that i take a lot of beginners. they plant it heavy so lots of fish, and if you venture out to some smaller streams, cow creek, bear creek ect. you can catch a lot of 6" - 12" native fish.
Jeff
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks everyone for the advice. I found exactly what I was looking for (except shade!) camping on the upper Owens River. Ended up with about 9 trout over 3 days-all on the hopper. I didn't see any hoppers on the water. Tried caddis, tricos, dry-droppers with different beadheaded nymphs. Largest was a brown about 12".

Took a couple of drives over to Hot Creek and saw some monsters that were not interested in my offerings-that place is for the next level of proficiency  :smt004

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 07:42:33 AM by oysterer »

anything