Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:36:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: The danger of Waders  (Read 6310 times)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Since waders don't have relief zippers, but dry suits do, coupled with my love of coffee and a weak bladder, waders will not do for me.  Waders would guarantee wet feet for me.

My waders have relief zipper........

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I have followed the wader discussion over the years. I have never worn waders and I never will. When shit goes bad in the ocean, it gets worse quick. You could easily be in the water for a lengthy period. Im not that huge of a fan of drysuits either. They are just one hole away from becoming a liability in the ocean. I wear a 3mm farmer John with a hydro skin shirt. On top of that I have a kokatat dry top and dry pants without the sewn in booties. On my feet I wear good neoprene booties with rubber treads for walking on slippery rocks. IMO, neoprene rules.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I have followed the wader discussion over the years. I have never worn waders and I never will. When shit goes bad in the ocean, it gets worse quick. You could easily be in the water for a lengthy period. Im not that huge of a fan of drysuits either. They are just one hole away from becoming a liability in the ocean. I wear a 3mm farmer John with a hydro skin shirt. On top of that I have a kokatat dry top and dry pants without the sewn in booties. On my feet I wear good neoprene booties with rubber treads for walking on slippery rocks. IMO, neoprene rules.

I will agree with you 100% on this. I had to rescue a fellow kayaker once when he flipped and had waders on. Thank god, the wader only partially got water in it; still the water made it impossible for him to re-enter the kayak without help. It took my full effort to assist him to safety, but he made it back alive.

Those who have not been in this particular situation do not fully understand how dangerous waders are on a Kayak. There are enough cheap alternatives to make kayaking safe and affordable. Learn from the lessons of others. Just DON'T DO IT! --TLA
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... Im not that huge of a fan of drysuits either. They are just one hole away from becoming a liability in the ocean. I wear a 3mm farmer John with a hydro skin shirt. On top of that I have a kokatat dry top and dry pants without the sewn in booties. On my feet I wear good neoprene booties with rubber treads for walking on slippery rocks. IMO, neoprene rules.

I'm trying hard to like neoprene while waiting for my replacement drysuit to arrive in July. But, I never feel like I'm actually "dressed for immersion" when wearing the FJ wetsuit. Yes, it helps with the splashing, but if I actually go for a swim, water flows thru it like a sieve, so I don't get the insulation effect that a "real" wetsuit provides. What am I doing wrong?

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
... Im not that huge of a fan of drysuits either. They are just one hole away from becoming a liability in the ocean. I wear a 3mm farmer John with a hydro skin shirt. On top of that I have a kokatat dry top and dry pants without the sewn in booties. On my feet I wear good neoprene booties with rubber treads for walking on slippery rocks. IMO, neoprene rules.

I'm trying hard to like neoprene while waiting for my replacement drysuit to arrive in July. But, I never feel like I'm actually "dressed for immersion" when wearing the FJ wetsuit. Yes, it helps with the splashing, but if I actually go for a swim, water flows thru it like a sieve, so I don't get the insulation effect that a "real" wetsuit provides. What am I doing wrong?

Your wetsuit isn't the correct fit for you.

-Allen

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

-Allen

I’ve thought of that but there is no way it could be tight enough to keep water from circulating through the chest area. Maybe I need to gain weight and start doing bench presses, but I don’t see any FJ working like a real wetsuit for me...

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
NWM:  Maybe get a 2mm(I think) cardigan style (vertical zipper in front) tight wetsuit top from O'Neill's to wear over the FJ and a fleece rashguard, then cover that with a Goretex splash jacket.  I went to this after a dunking at the launching dock on a cold day and realizing I didn't have enough upper body insulation to stay warm even out of the water.  It allows free arm movement unlike the full surfing wetsuit I have tried.  It might be too much on a really warm day, but I'm hoping I'd be able to unzip on the yak and then rezip if I fall in.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen

I’ve thought of that but there is no way it could be tight enough to keep water from circulating through the chest area. Maybe I need to gain weight and start doing bench presses, but I don’t see any FJ working like a real wetsuit for me...

Try a different size or a different brand.  Or, get it custom fitted.  I'll refrain from commenting on your chest.   :smt044

-Allen

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
NWM:  Maybe get a 2mm(I think) cardigan style (vertical zipper in front) tight wetsuit top from O'Neill's to wear over the FJ and a fleece rashguard, then cover that with a Goretex splash jacket.  I went to this after a dunking at the launching dock on a cold day and realizing I didn't have enough upper body insulation to stay warm even out of the water.  It allows free arm movement unlike the full surfing wetsuit I have tried.  It might be too much on a really warm day, but I'm hoping I'd be able to unzip on the yak and then rezip if I fall in.

I went this route for the same reason, back when Covid started. I got a front zip 2mm from NRS. I like layers so on the chilliest days I go with wicking layer, mysterioso top, 2mm, and spray jacket. If it looks rainy I've got splash pants to go over my wetsuit. Modern neoprene has a lot more stretch to it I find.

I'd use a drysuit but I've just had days of cold becoming bright sun and I prefer the adjustable layer method.my 2c
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
In the 70s I paid $2500 for a commercial dry suit and immediately regretted it, 1) was hot and sweaty and 2) long hours in the water you gotta pee. So went back to skin-skin neoprene suit custom fit at Stan’s dive shop in San Jose around $450 back in the 70s but worth every nickel

Those were the best but California outlawed the use of the glues so they couldn’t do it anymore. On cold winter days I was steaming when I peeled my wetsuit

Lately I’m spending 3-5 hours in the water 3x a week minimum, some days was 6-10 hours in a 4/3 O’Neil psycho tech, not bad but nothing like my old skin/skin neoprene. Not surfing, swimming in the surf zone with fins and a camera doing video

Anybody knows somebody who works with custom neoprene let me know. I may end up making my own if I can’t find somebody who does that kind of thing

Waders are for the suicidal. My friend watched his fishing partner get swept out at the mouth of one of the nor cal rivers and saw his head pop up a couple of times and disappear

I owned hip waders to look cool while I was fishing steelhead and salmon in nor cal rivers but switched to wearing neoprene FJs which gave me the option of floating downstream instead of tromping through the woods. Got a lot of wisecracks

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Conditions are much more mild down South. 

My gortex wader's has a zipper for relief.  And when the surf is up, before trying to land I take them off.

--
<><

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
In the 70s I paid $2500 for a commercial dry suit and immediately regretted it..:

I suspect that your 70s era dry suit had less in common with modern dry suit fabrics than my ‘73 Plymouth Duster had in common with my 2019 Subaru Crosstrek.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Thanks. That sounds like the way to go. And I’m sure I’ll have no trouble stripping on my kayak*.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I'll refrain from commenting on your chest.   :smt044

-Allen

I’ll have you know that my physique has been immortalized in song...

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:10:49 PM by NowhereMan »

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
There was a guy rescued at HMB a while back who was in a screaming panic when he went in the water

Wasn’t he wearing waders?

anything