Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:37:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 07:37:53 AM]

[Today at 06:39:27 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Proposed kayak/paddle board regulations  (Read 5756 times)

BillH

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2020

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
No person shall operate or permit the operation of human- powered boats and vessels or motor driven boats and vessels with a mechanical power of fifteen horsepower or greater unless...

As the law is currently proposed wouldn’t you be exempt if you put a motor less than 15 hp on your kayak?
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
No person shall operate or permit the operation of human- powered boats and vessels or motor driven boats and vessels with a mechanical power of fifteen horsepower or greater unless...

As the law is currently proposed wouldn’t you be exempt if you put a motor less than 15 hp on your kayak?

Yes.  It’s poorly drafted.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Well, it’s coming so you can either be part of the conversation or let it happen and bitch about it later.

Nailed it.

Some already have begun, on three levels.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Having worked for the government most of my life, I think the Ski Pro has it about right.

IMHO, something like traffic school for boaters would make a lot more sense. That is, freely hand out fines to those who violate the rules and give them the option of paying or spend an evening at “boaters school.” I’d think that such an approach would have a better chance of affecting the actions of the small minority who choose to be clueless, while not burdening those who play it safe.

I like this idea. Also want to point out that I have many friends who got injured while biking, skying, and running. The fact that the government will never regulate those activities is a proof that regulation is not always about the things that matter. It’s about other things. Like what’s easy to enforce, or what earns political points.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Blobfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Oh I'll be part of the conversation, against your intention to regulate something that goes against your standard. Just because you have a specific way of doing things doesn't mean everybody should be FORCED to do it your way. This would trickle down to other sports too! Why? I get safety goes first keep the government out, they'll be in it for money and taxes.. and they already have no clue how to manage the world's 5th economy. Thanks for making us aware of the bill.

That said, politicians are humans with limited energy time and attention. Dedicate that to more worthy causes. Things that have a graeater impact in society, and not the 0.000000001%. How about healthcare, schools, military spending! Deregulation in general. Want to regulate something - regulate social media cause that's a major point of division in our country.

If a boater wants education they just have to Google it. Every article about fishing, every forum, has safety guidelines. I think it's well covered. Let them decide.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Statistics don’t bear that out at all.

Some 75% of paddle board deaths are low hours paddlers, and half are < 10 hours paddlers.  It’s rank beginners in Walmart kayaks and SUPs doing all the dying, they don’t come from any kind of paddlesports backgrounds in their families, but the see everyone out there doing it.  How hard can it be?

Those are the folks that need to be targeted for education and training.  Specifically them.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012

This is exactly why legislators have no business making up rules when they know nothing about what they are talking about.  Not a one of them will admit they have a clue when they go to vote on this to make it law.  Just where their funding for re-election comes from. 

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

Seems like if your "primary propulsion" is a <15hp gas motor or an electric motor, you can loophole the entire thing.  Makes sense right?  I'd definitely be safer with a 10hp merc strapped to my yak.  :smt005

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Statistics don’t bear that out at all.

Ok then, let's talk statistics.

There are 22 million+ paddlesports participants in the US every year,  or about 7.5% of our population, and an average of less than 300 deaths a year.  (Source: USCG) 

By contrast, about 12-13% of the population rides a bicycle, and there were 857 bicyclists killed in traffic incidents in 2018.  Arguably more dangerous.  You don't need a license and mandatory classes to buy a bicycle, because that would be ridiculous.

For reference, 5000 people a year choke to death on food.

"Operator Inattention" is listed as the most common cause of boating accidents in general...does a license make people pay attention? 

Good intentions, but unnecessary legislation.  I'm all for safety, but we don't need a f-ing law for everything. 

https://www.uscgboating.org/library/accident-statistics/Recreational-Boating-Statistics-2019.pdf
https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/bicycle-safety

Herefishy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Happy to be part of the conversation, but will not support the efforts.  Those that have common sense and are motivated to improve and do things safely don’t need more restrictions expenses burocratic useless hurdles such as seen in medicine law and day to day commerce. Those that are unmotivated will not do things safely.
Boating safety and other waterway laws are in place, no permits will be helpful or make thing safer. Education is good.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Happy to be part of the conversation, but will not support the efforts.  Those that have common sense and are motivated to improve and do things safely don’t need more restrictions expenses burocratic useless hurdles such as seen in medicine law and day to day commerce. Those that are unmotivated will not do things safely.
Boating safety and other waterway laws are in place, no permits will be helpful or make thing safer. Education is good.

I think it starts with requiring retailers to provide literature, warning stickers that direct new purchasers to safety websites, etc.  especially anywhere north of the Southern California bight. 

I don’t like the idea of a blanket requirement for all users, but that’s what is favored by tptb.  It’s even possible that we will see a requirement for something similar to the waterways access permit in Oregon and that tied in with proof of completion of an online safety series.  If that is where we end up, that’s probably ok.  But the real focus is on new paddlers purchasing new, cheap, inferior gear from big box retailers.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I do think that some type of safety course is good. Leaving future paddlers to Darwins law is not my idea of how people should learn from example. There are too many people involved( family members, friends, etc. ) when someone passes .

I dont know if there are legalities but besides 10 posts a newb should also have to read 5 safety posts?
Instead of us constantly reminding newbs. Which i dont mind.

My 2 cents.

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Years ago I took a motorcycle safety course for 200$ which was a great way to learn to ride on someone else's bike.
  The other benefit to taking the course was that I was then given a $500 voucher to buy only safety gear (helmet, jacket, shoes, and pants) and a discount on insurance.  I'm not a mathamagician but that's a good deal.  If there was something like that offered for paddle sports pretty sure most would agree and would take the course and upgrade some of their safety gear.

I get this is not an apples to apples comparison.  The optimist in me wants to believe there is a way to incentivise safety without a leaky regulations. 
   Creating safety certifications like motorcycle helmet's SNELL and DOT on a kayak, PVD, paddle etc. would push the sport in a safer direction by informing consumers and letting them choose.
Slate Hobie Compass

2023 MBK 1st place

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
safety is a very important matter for the sport.  We are usually the smallest craft in the water and therefore common sense tells us to keep our eyes and ears open to our surroundings and to yield the right of way to larger vessels.  Yes we have every right to be upset when a negligent boater (who presumably has taken a safety course) hits us or fails to obey the law/rules.  And hopefully our law enforcement can take care of the issue or we take care of it when it happens.  With that said, a government official issuing a law under the premise of protecting us is misguided.  For the most part, those of us on this forum are mindful of the risks and take the proper precautions and safety measures.  A possible solution is that each kayak, paddle board etc is sold with a safety on the water manual.  It still wont change those that Darwin targets because "those people" will never learn.  Just hope that they aren't the ones behind the wheel of a powerboat.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

anything