Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:37:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:29:30 AM]

[Today at 11:10:17 AM]

[Today at 08:28:43 AM]

[Today at 08:05:07 AM]

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ling Cod Lutefisk experiment  (Read 5544 times)

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Hei pa deg!  :smt006

Between 1999 and 2008 I lived in Budapest, but would frequently travel to Norway with my colleagues when we had a holiday.  During one Christmas in Alsund I was introduced to lutefisk. After a few glasses of aquavit I developed the bravery to sample this culinary oddity against the better judgment of my scenes.  To my surprise, the dish was delicious.  Since that Christmas, I have not missed an opportunity to dine on this stinky gelatinous delicacy. 

Returning from GSIII with too much fish in my freezer, I have decided to make lutefisk from two of the lings (as not to waste any fish).

My lings are now dried and hammered, I have dug a 4ft deep pit in my backyard, made a quick call to Norway and I am ready to start the luting.

I have soaking my dried fish in cold water for about 24 hours (changing the water every 6 hour or so).

I will then make my Lute mixture by adding 25 grams Lye (NaOH) per 3.5 Liters of water. (be very careful when handling lye.. gloves and goggles).

With my lye mix ready I will add the fish and bury the container in the 4ft pits for 2 days (as advised by Erling's mother).  You could get away with shallow pits during the winter.

After 2 days, I will dig up the containers and rinse the fish for another 2 days.  If all turns out well, it will be ready for cooking!

If anyone is interested, I will provide updates on my lutefisk project.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Hell yes!!! I would like to even try it...if it turns out and keeps till Albion....please bring some...maybe freeze it...

did u fish in budapest? and if u did what did u catch???
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16

did u fish in budapest? and if u did what did u catch???

I fish wherever I find myself (Hungary, Korea, Norway, and Cali).

I caught carp in Hungary.  There is one trout stream near the Austrian border that I fished.  Trout fishing is not big for the Magyars, at a tackle shop I inquired about trout gear to which the clerk responded "In Hungary we fish for carp".

My best fishing experiences out of the US have been in Norway and the Sea of Korea (also known as the sea of Japan  :smt044)

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

sea of Japan  :smt044)

can anyone say sushi!!! so no lutefisk @ albion? :smt003
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
Until I get a seaworthy kayak, I will be fishing Sierra lakes only.  Otherwise I would bring you some lutefisk.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Ummmm.... Not to rain on your experiment, but I must share :smt003

Coming from a Norwegian family background, that moved to Minnesota in the 30's I have heard many tales of Lutefisk!  There isn't a person left in my family that would dare try it, ever again! 

The elderly family members bring it up EVERY family gathering just to remind people how awful it was growing up eating it...  Apparently my grandfather really liked it.  But how they describe the finished product, boy, I don't think I'll ever try it!

Well...  Maybe just a little if you bring it to Albion, since I haven't tried it myself.   :smt004

Now, Lefse, that's a whole different story!  If you can make that, I'd PAY you for some  :smt044
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
You are right, Lutefisk is not for everyone.  I make it for a family event yesterday, only the Korean and Norwegian sides of my family dared to taste it.

It was not as good as the Lutefisk I had in Norway, but it was the real deal.

I can show you how to make Lefse, Risengrynsgrot and kjottkake if you like.  Lefse is pretty easy to make.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
oh jeez my grandma (swedish) and grandpa (norwegian) loved it. I guess they got used to it in No. Dakota. You could smell it outside the house when they were eating it!
-Eric Berg

mtrouter

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I know this post is old, but I can't help myself.  My wife's Norwegian grandmother fixed it for us one christmas.  It was enough to make a grown man weep.  She left the table to go to the kitchen so of course I fed it to the dog.  Poor thing, and he had been such a good dog.

obkook

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

A thread about lutefisk - I can hardly believe it!

I grew up in a small Swedish and Norwegian farm town in MN of about 2000 people. Lutefisk feeds were put on anually by the local Lions club. We have had a "traditional" Christmas Eve dinner which included lutefisk, finn and haddie (SP?), Swedish Meatballs, lefse, etc.

It sort of grows on you. My dad is a true fan of it. And he immediately fell in love with my Japanese wife  :smt007 who had no problem gobbling up platefuls of it (when most of the other short-timers were eating thimblefuls).

But I think I'll stick with my cod pan-fried.  :smt003
Just a walleye fisherman from MN tryin' ta get salty!

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

I grew up in a small Swedish and Norwegian farm town in MN of about 2000 people. Lutefisk feeds were put on anually by the local Lions club. We have had a "traditional" Christmas Eve dinner which included lutefisk, finn and haddie (SP?), Swedish Meatballs, lefse, etc.

Ever heard of Madison Minnesota? A much smaller town (bout 1sq mi) where my family migrated from Norway to settle down.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

obkook

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

Ever heard of Madison Minnesota? A much smaller town (bout 1sq mi) where my family migrated from Norway to settle down.

West of Wilmar (where my brother was born). I grew up in Zumbrota.

But for the Lutefisk discussion, you win - I googled Madison to find it, and the first thing to come up was, "Madison, Minnesota "Lutefisk Capital USA"!!
http://www.ci.madison.mn.us/
Just a walleye fisherman from MN tryin' ta get salty!

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
....and my family on Mom's side is from Fergus Falls Minnesota.  Pure Norwegian on that side.

.....an unobserved trend here perhaps?

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well Albion is come and gone with no "lutefisk"  :smt009  Auberntroutfisherman did not attend...at least i didnt see you, I would love to try these dishes being discribed...one of these days... :smt004

Next time theres a Pot Luck one of u guys need to bring it.... :smt003 because a lot of us would pig... :smt003 I've got danish and swedish and some irish in by blood...but no recipes from that side...

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
Well Albion is come and gone with no "lutefisk"  :smt009  Auberntroutfisherman did not attend...at least i didnt see you, I would love to try these dishes being discribed...one of these days... :smt004

Albion was scheduled on my wedding anniversary. :(