Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 04, 2024, 10:52:45 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:00:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:43:04 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:23 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 02:41:39 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:16:20 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 09:54:38 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:22:51 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fuyu Persimmons  (Read 6662 times)

CaptainKayak

• Do you consider lingcod a filthy animal?
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I got pissed off watching the squirrels and the birds poaching on the persimmons before the right harvest time so the Mrs. and I decided to push back and take the family's share before the poachers cleaned us out. Some of them are ready to eat and some needs a little more time before they're sweet and crispy. For now, I'll enjoy just peeling and eating them. But for the next few days, I'd like to try the following:

a) Crockpot Persimmon Bread Pudding
b) Sauted Persimmons with Green Beans and Chives
c) Sweet Fuyu Persimmon Salad

I hope they turn out okay..... more to follow.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:39:38 PM by CaptainKayak »
I wouldn't go so far as to call a lingcod filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a lingcod's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Andy1976

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Those look really good Frank.  My wife's favorite fruit.  Andy
The world belongs to the energetic. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
yum.  if you need any help fending off the poochers, let me know!  I'll lend a hand, will work for food :smt001

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I love them.  Good thing they're in season right now!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Skunked

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Those look a little under ripe, but you gotta take care of them before the tree gets cleaned out.  I make persimmon jam every year; delicious.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
you need to get a plastic owl to put in the tree.  Then the birds and varmints having something to laugh at as they clean you out  :smt003
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Recipes please!!!

The neighbor across the street has a tree and they always just fall down and rot.   :smt009

-Allen

CaptainKayak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Recipes please!!!

The neighbor across the street has a tree and they always just fall down and rot.   :smt009

-Allen

THis is what I'll try tonight (Sauteed Persimmons with Green Beans with Chives... I hope it turns out okay.
20 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 8

1 1/2 lbs petite green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 ripe fuyu persimmons, , cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (, about 1 pound)
1/2 cup fresh chives (1-inch pieces)
1 pinch sugar
Cook beans according to directions.
Usually frozen beans are boiled for 2-4 minutes and then drained.
After draining, immediately plunge beans into a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking and drain.
In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat until hot and sauté persimmons until lightly browned and softened, about 4 minutes.
Add a pinch of sugar to help sweeten the persimmons.
Add beans and 1/4 cup chives and sauté, stirring gently, until hot.
Transfer mixture to a platter and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chives on top.

Edit*****

Wow this isn't bad at all. I welcome you to try it at home. It's easy to make and cheap but very healthy dish. Luv the sweet touch on the green beans. More to follow later.......

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:36:27 PM by CaptainKayak »
I wouldn't go so far as to call a lingcod filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a lingcod's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

CaptainKayak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
yum.  if you need any help fending off the poochers, let me know!  I'll lend a hand, will work for food :smt001

Hey yakuza! Where you at? I'll save some for you and you don't have to work for them. Let me know.  :smt001.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I have one in the front yard. I like to dehydrate them but not to the point of being completely dry. Usually more than I can eat before they go bad; so I also peel and freeze them and take them to work for snacks. It's a nice feeling to be able to eat fruit grown on your own trees.

I don't usually have problems with squirrels, just birds pecking away at some at the very top of the tree (which I can't reach without risk of falling and breaking my neck.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008

Hey yakuza! Where you at? I'll save some for you and you don't have to work for them. Let me know.  :smt001.

Hey Frank toss some in a bag and I will get them from you tomorrow when I pick up the traps. Martin (yakuza) lives one block from me. I can drop them off....Jeez I am a NCKA mule!
-Eric Berg

CaptainKayak

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Hey Frank toss some in a bag and I will get them from you tomorrow when I pick up the traps. Martin (yakuza) lives one block from me. I can drop them off....Jeez I am a NCKA mule!

OOOOOHHHHH Yeahhhh!!!! That's what I'm talking about! One bag for Eric and one bag for Martin tomorrow.   :smt044

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I'll agree with the comment that the they look a little green.  Also agree with Hojoman that the birds and squirrels don't bother ours much and I live in Fremont too. We have a bumper harvest this year - still on the tree. Would offer some up to my NCKA bros but I have JA relatives from northern climes waiting in line for their share :smt012 :smt002
Dried fuyus or Persimmon ice cream for me  :smt003
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Captainkayak thanks for hooking it up with the fuyus.  Really cool of you.  EWB dropped some off for me (then dropped me off at SFO).  All kinda NCKA love going around on Weds.  Really looking forward to some 'simmon action when I get home.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I don't pick the fruit until around Thanksgiving time, hopefully after the leaves drop and before the rains come. The fruit is also still tasty after being peeled and frozen for future snacks.

anything