Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 02:28:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:04:03 PM]

[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

[Today at 09:12:39 AM]

[Today at 08:43:48 AM]

[Today at 08:20:37 AM]

[Today at 08:12:28 AM]

[Today at 07:35:53 AM]

[Today at 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 09:32:40 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 05:11:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 02:59:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Opinions on Hobie cradles?  (Read 1966 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I've got a set of Hobie AI cradles, and was going to use them on my recent trailer re-build. But, I decided to stay with the PVC bunks I'd been using, mostly because I saw a lot of negative comments about the cradles on the Hobie forum.

The cradles I've got are probably pretty old (I got them 2nd or 3rd hand). They seem to be of sturdy fiberglass construction, and they look very good to me. I'm guessing that at some point, Hobie might have started using some weaker/cheaper plastic construction, and that could be the source of the reported problems.

Anyways, if you've had any positive or negative experience with the Hobie cradles, I'd like to hear about it...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
I have cradles for a Hobie 2020 outback that I mounted on a crossbar that fits in joist hangers inside of a utility trailer.  The joist hangers are at a very slight angle fore/aft so that the cradle matches the fore/aft slope of the kayak where the cradles fit.  They fit great and spread the load evenly without a pressure point a pvc pipe would have.   
Markus
2020 Hobie Outback

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
pics
Markus
2020 Hobie Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Thanks for the info.

I'd like to use the cradles on a trailer, as opposed to just storage. I'm guessing that maybe the vibration and jostling is why some people have problems with the cradles cracking.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Mark,    I consider doing that, but i was thinking getting the yak on the trailer from the water could be a little PITA.  I do have AI cradle for your model years that  you can have, on me of course.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I don't have a lot to say yet on my cradle set since I haven't done the maintenance to see if there are any issues yet.  But i am curious if someone knows the differences between the sets is?  The one I have seems OK, except the ama's are not resting comfortably on the outer support.  But since I do a whole strap in a big loop through the handles of the ama's, under the trailer, and over the top, that is what I count on supporting them during transport.  Thinking of trying to add some padding to get them higher up, but maybe I should find a different set to see if it fits better.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I have both the tandem and AI (2015+) setup. I broke my first setup buying them used and was not aware of the different models hobie made. I probably synced down too hard on a mold that wasn't designed for my 2017 AI.

Below is a link you can see visually have each set differs.

https://www.mariner-sails.com/?ss360Query=hobie%20cradles

I really like using the cradles now as opposed to the pvc bunks I copied from Mark's setup. It's really easy for me to load and unload.
-Jason

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Mark,    I consider doing that, but i was thinking getting the yak on the trailer from the water could be a little PITA.  I do have AI cradle for your model years that  you can have, on me of course.

Hey, Y^3, that would be great! I'll certainly put them to the test.

Btw, what I've seen on the Hobie forum, is that people often use PVC "guides" to help slide the kayak on and off the bunks, without bashing into the metal on the trailer.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 08:58:01 PM by NowhereMan »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
... except the ama's are not resting comfortably on the outer support.

I was wondering about that too, as I have not yet tested them on the full AI setup, just the main hull. Have you tried adjusting them front-to-back, or is it too far off for that to have a chance of working?

Wildrooster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I love my cradles but to prevent craking I mounted a self centering roller just below the cradle height at the rear
It helps in loading /unloading my TI
It also prevents what can be excess rocking of the cradles
Witch can cause damage
This is a modified bass boat trailer I have a bow stop in the front roller in the back no pics of it but we know what they are
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 09:56:21 AM by Wildrooster »
glade you made it
now let's get our fish on

Ascend FS128T
Hobie AI yellow

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

My trailer has a tailgate that folds down and acts as a ramp.   I just wheel the kayak up onto the trailer, rest the front 1/2 of the kayak on the front cradle and then put the aft crossbar (with aft cradle) in the joist hanger on one side and then lift a little to put into the other side joist hanger.  Then the wheels are about 2 inches off the trailer deck with no load, so I just leave them there.  I can't imagine an easier way to transport the kayak.  I also modified the Hobie wheel setup to make that easier as well.  The two risers that go through the scupper holes are too long, so that you have lift the kayak higher than necessary or roll it up on its side.  I cut those down so they are sticking out only an inch through the top of the scupper.  I also epoxied pad eyes on the two risers and attached bungee cords, so that when I'm on the beach wanting to reinstall the wheels I just rest the wheels own the sand, pick up the kayak and place it on the wheels, run each bungee through each scupper and attach the bungee so there is tension (I use west marine sail reefing bungees with the yellow plastic balls).  Then when I lift the aft end of the kayak the bungee cords pull and guide the risers through the scuppers.  easy 1 person job.
Markus
2020 Hobie Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

My trailer has a tailgate that folds down and acts as a ramp.   I just wheel the kayak up onto the trailer, rest the front 1/2 of the kayak on the front cradle and then put the aft crossbar (with aft cradle) in the joist hanger on one side and then lift a little to put into the other side joist hanger.  Then the wheels are about 2 inches off the trailer deck with no load, so I just leave them there.  I can't imagine an easier way to transport the kayak.  I also modified the Hobie wheel setup to make that easier as well.  The two risers that go through the scupper holes are too long, so that you have lift the kayak higher than necessary or roll it up on its side.  I cut those down so they are sticking out only an inch through the top of the scupper.  I also epoxied pad eyes on the two risers and attached bungee cords, so that when I'm on the beach wanting to reinstall the wheels I just rest the wheels own the sand, pick up the kayak and place it on the wheels, run each bungee through each scupper and attach the bungee so there is tension (I use west marine sail reefing bungees with the yellow plastic balls).  Then when I lift the aft end of the kayak the bungee cords pull and guide the risers through the scuppers.  easy 1 person job.

That sounds like a great way to easily handle a heavy kayak. Thanks for the info.