Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 12:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 03, 2024, 11:37:50 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 11:24:10 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 10:04:16 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Costa Rica this December  (Read 1990 times)

• a funguy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
I’m going to Costa Rica this December for a week! Looking at going to Tamarindo for the first half of the trip and stay in a hostel/surf. I’d love to get out on a boat to hook and line or spearfish. Any recommendations? I’m also trying to see as much as I can down there hikes/wildlife-wise.
Thanks!
Max
Remove the Klamath River dams!

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
https://tamarindosportfishing.com/

I’ve fished with them many times.  Captain Randy on the Talking Fish is the kind of captain that wasn’t shy about yelling at you that you messed up the bait and switch on a sailfish.  He’s my kind of captain.  Although I see he is retiring next month, and one of his long time captains on one of his other boats is taking the helm.

Caught my personal best fish, an 800 pound black marlin, off this boat.  So many memories with best friends and fathers, one of who caught the biggest dorado I’ve seen in person, probably pushing 70 pounds.

-Allen

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Awesome!  Have safe and be fun!

polepole CR sounds GREAT!!  Lets gothere.  Maybe this coming weekend?

Bouché

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Yah, like AB said: maybe this coming weekend?
 :smt003
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Califbill

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Small country.  About 6 hrs drive across continent.    Do Manual Antonio and hire a guide!  We stayed in a cabinas in Manual Antonio.  Fished tarpon in Tortuguero, but 1 week maybe too short.   Be careful in Tamarindo as seems to be low life capital of CR.   Lots of theft.   Son in law lost debit card.  And had two surfboards purchased quickly.

polepole

• Administrator
Small country.  About 6 hrs drive across continent.    Do Manual Antonio and hire a guide!  We stayed in a cabinas in Manual Antonio.  Fished tarpon in Tortuguero, but 1 week maybe too short.   Be careful in Tamarindo as seems to be low life capital of CR.   Lots of theft.   Son in law lost debit card.  And had two surfboards purchased quickly.

It is sad what has become of the Tamarindo area.  I used to go there yearly in the early 2000's.  It was a sleepy little surf town that happened to have a fantastic sailfish fishery.  I used to go there in the late summer, during the rainy season, which meant even less people.  Double digit days on sailfish were the norm.  Surf waves out front were party waves with multiple people riding, encouraging each other on, with no one getting aggro.  This because the lineup wasn't crowded and everyone got all the waves they wanted.  I went back a year or 2 after the road was paved, and the vibe completely changed.  Lot of solicitors appeared, peddling all the vices.  Crime was up.  And it got crowded.  I've not been back since.

-Allen

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
im going for ski week ‘24 with a large group of 25.  were staying in two villas in the area.   Allen ur review has me concerned

polepole

• Administrator
im going for ski week ‘24 with a large group of 25.  were staying in two villas in the area.   Allen ur review has me concerned

I’m only jaded because I have a reference from “before”.  It is not unlike many more accessible places in CR. Jaco is much worse. You’ll be fine.

-Allen

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Max how was ur stay in Tamarindo? 

Our group had an awesome trip.  Among the best trips weve taken w this group.  Was really apprehensive about it but ran into no issues whatsoever.  Granted we were very conservative in our ventures due to group size and kids. 

Stayed at this huge house w gated security and service staff.  Pricey but the amenities included electric golf carts and location couldnt b beat.  it was really safe and convenient.   

Amazing adventure tour included 90 min rafting/tubing adventure that was just right combo of exciting and pedestrian. 

Surprises included the weather (hotter n drier than anticipated), and how accepting the country is of US-everything (currency, language,etc). Downsides was the one lane roads enhanced travel time to get to literally anywhere outside of Tamarindo

LatAm continues to surprise and impress me.  Im not naively thinking the region is without issues.  however there is def opportunity to enjoy a family-based trip, and theres a high likelihood we will be back. Im thinking Honduras, CR, Panama road trip to punch two more passport stamps

• a funguy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
Costa Rica was awesome. I surfed every day for the week I was down there. I ended up going to Santa Theresa. Most days when I was out past the breakers pompano would cruise right by me. I drank a lot of coconuts and spent a day cruising around jeep roads on a rented dirt bike. No one wears helmets down there, it’s crazy (I did though).

Locals were super friendly but it was a little touristy. Saw juvenile sea turtles emerging from their nests. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! I had a great time and can’t wait to go back and explore the country more. I’m thinking Quepos next trip - less touristy? And I think good surf and fishing.

Only bummer was I got so sunburned! I’ve been in Humboldt county too long…
Remove the Klamath River dams!

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

It is sad what has become of the Tamarindo area.  I used to go there yearly in the early 2000's.  It was a sleepy little surf town that happened to have a fantastic sailfish fishery.  I used to go there in the late summer, during the rainy season, which meant even less people.  Double digit days on sailfish were the norm.  Surf waves out front were party waves with multiple people riding, encouraging each other on, with no one getting aggro.  This because the lineup wasn't crowded and everyone got all the waves they wanted.  I went back a year or 2 after the road was paved, and the vibe completely changed.  Lot of solicitors appeared, peddling all the vices.  Crime was up.  And it got crowded.  I've not been back since.

-Allen

I spent time in Tamarindo in the mid nineties.  It was fun back then, but more tourists than Playa Coco where the Tica family I stayed with had a vacation home.  I never stayed in hotels when I visited Costa Rica.     
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

anything