Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:44:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:43:30 PM]

[Today at 08:22:56 PM]

[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

[Today at 06:11:52 PM]

[Today at 03:34:10 PM]

[Today at 01:53:39 PM]

[Today at 01:08:35 PM]

[Today at 12:49:26 PM]

[Today at 11:15:30 AM]

[Today at 08:36:32 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 01:14:38 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 10:18:45 AM]

by Clb
[May 15, 2024, 08:47:12 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:16:45 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:06:54 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 07:51:28 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 06:29:49 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 04:58:26 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:06:14 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Foraging mussels  (Read 7366 times)

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
I found this recipe online.  Sounds good!

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/gooseneck-barnacles-with-lemon/

Okay people seem to like them! This comment stuck out. Im curious what the differences are "Old world percebes (endemic to east Atlantic coast from France to Senegal) taste much better than new world percebes (Pacific coast), they are a different variety."
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

hungers

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2020
Here's what I found on the subject with California Fish and Wildlife:

Harvesting barnacles attached to floating driftwood?
Question: I read your answer recently about how barnacles cannot be harvested in the intertidal zone. Is there a way of legally obtaining Gooseneck barnacles to eat? When I’m way out in the ocean on a boat, I often see floating logs, driftwood and other debris. If it has been floating for a long time, more often than not I will find there are a large number of Gooseneck barnacles attached to the submerged side. Since they are not being taken from the intertidal zone (1,000 feet of shore), would they be legal to take? (Joe K.)

Answer: Yes, if the barnacles are attached to floating logs or driftwood, it would be legal and the limit would be 35 (CCR Title 15, section 29.05(a)). The only problem now is that for much of the debris off our coast that has been in the water long enough to have large numbers of Gooseneck barnacles, there could be health concerns if the wood originated in Fukashima, Japan, due to the possibility of contact with radioactive materials. You’d want to carefully consider how badly you want to harvest those barnacles!

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
How can we tell if the drift wood was originally from Fukashima?  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

LuiG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
There is a catch and cook from Oregon about gooseneck barnacles. They were pretty surprised about how good they were.

I guess in Oregon they can get them in the inter-tidal zone?!?
Hobie Revo 13

MR MAGOO

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
   I hope I am wrong, but it looks like something is wrong with the mussel population down there. Last week I took a walk at low tide south of Moss Beach and saw no mussels. I did not go way out on the reef, but still it looked like something was wrong. The only barnacles were tiny. Sea anemonies and periwinkles and  little brown seaweed were plentifull. Some limpets. No more little crab. No mussels. Can't blame poachers because nobody goes where I went. Got back to the harbor and the tide was still out so I went out to Pillar point. The tide was coming in so I could not go out far. Not one live mussel. Lots of mussel shells.
  Like I said, I hope I am wrong, but as far out as I got, I'm pretty sure there used to be lots of mussels.
  Earlier in this thread somebody posted a pic of a random large clump of mussels. It might be more evidence of a problem. There used to be docents or volunteers at the Fitzgerald Marine Preserve. Maybe if I go by on a weekend I'll stop and see if they have any idea. Last time I talked to one they blamed the urchins for killing the kelp. They did not know urchins disappeared from this same reef years ago. It's just south of flat rock.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nice work on the mussels! Those all look tasty.

Not sure if anyone else said this, but those gashes on the elephant seal’s tail look more like propeller injuries than a shark bite. Bummer either way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
went looking for muscles Sunday and met a few waves that wanted to have a word with me.  Hopefully with the lower swell and wind I can hit the spot tomorrow or the next day. :)
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell