Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:55:19 AM]

[Today at 07:40:37 AM]

[Today at 07:31:14 AM]

[Today at 07:12:18 AM]

[Today at 06:07:34 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 11:38:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:37 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:46:00 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:45:26 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:45:01 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 04:51:41 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:38:26 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Thule Hullavator vs Yakima Showdown  (Read 8252 times)

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I’ve been eyeing the Yakima Showdown as well. Lower profile than the Hullivator, no pneumatic assist though. I have a hullivator bought used, but one of them is not locking for some reason.

What exactly isnt locking?

When you pull them down and they’re suppose to lock in place. Fore some reason one of them wouldn’t latch.

Hey Herb. I had the same issue, what I did was wiggle the arm a little bit until I hear it click/lock. You can call thule and they should help as well. This method has worked so far...until it doesn't then I will call thule and request service.

As for the initial post.

I love the hullavator. Without it I don't think I would go kayaking that much since its a lot of work to lift up the hobie outback on top of a suv without damaging it. I could use other method but then strapping it down takes additional work. With the hullavator, you put it down, lift the kayak into the craddle, then you can strap it down before lifting it onto the car/suv. I can load the kayak in less than 5 mins.

The only downfall is that its expensive.

Oh one more thing. When you aren't using it, you can detach the hullavtor  and store it inside the garage. This was a huge plus since the footprint of the bar that remain on the car is really small. The others have to stay on the car and it would be a hassle to take off and put on each time when I park in the garage.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:02:42 AM by crazyfisher »

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Herb, you may need to loosen up the strap to get the arm to drop in at the right place.  Once it clicks, then tighten it up.  I had the same problem with mine (new), but that trick did the job for me.  The arm's movement is very strict if the strap is tight.

By the way, I do the same thing crazy does.  When I am not using it, I take it off the roof.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Thanks, I’ll try those suggestions. Mine does it with or without straps. I’m surprised even the new Hullavators like yours are having issues. I’ve thought that maybe it was just the old models.

Hydrospider, keep us updated if you go with the showdown. I’ve seen reviews, but haven’t heard of anyone actually using them. Looks like a decent product. I may have to switch to those when the time comes.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
If the arms are not exactly parallel to each other, you will have issues with locking in without any jiggling involved.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
Thanks, I’ll try those suggestions. Mine does it with or without straps. I’m surprised even the new Hullavators like yours are having issues. I’ve thought that maybe it was just the old models.

Hydrospider, keep us updated if you go with the showdown. I’ve seen reviews, but haven’t heard of anyone actually using them. Looks like a decent product. I may have to switch to those when the time comes.

Actually, mine is good all around.  It didn't click for me because the arms locations shifted during the lift up as my yak shape is not symmetrical.   I personally have no complain and will buy another one in the future in a heartbeat.

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Hydrospider

Decided to go with the Yakima Showdown.   Ill review after 20 or so trips.
Thanks again to those who contributed on topic.

jrsuperman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Just 2 cents. I’m able to lift the hull of the 2018 AI with the hullavator xt (previous version). But crap for 449$ for the Yakima showdown, I would just go with the hullavator (479$ xt version 649$ new version).

...Anyone got a pair of old non working struts hullavator they wanna give away?

Hydrospider

Just 2 cents. I’m able to lift the hull of the 2018 AI with the hullavator xt (previous version). But crap for 449$ for the Yakima showdown, I would just go with the hullavator (479$ xt version 649$ new version).

Okay jrsuperman, I'm listening. Why should I go with the Hullavator?
Price point is not one of my considerations. $500 vs $1000 does not matter. Im looking to get what is best for my ops.  Do you believe that the Hullavator is superior to the Showdown?
You may have more experience than I do loading kayaks and I appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:43:58 PM by Hydrospider »

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Okay jrsuperman, I'm listening. Why should I go with the Hullavator?
Price point is not one of my considerations. $500 vs $1000 does not matter. Im looking to get what is best for my ops.  Do you believe that the Hullavator is superior to the Showdown?
You may have more experience than I do loading kayaks and I appreciate the help.

If you look around, you should be able to score a Hullavator for less that $650.  With Hullavator, you get a spring-assist when you lift up.  It really depends on your kayak weight and shape.  But if the money is close enough, I would recommend the Hullavator.  In my opinion, this is one of those To Wheeleez Or Not To Wheeleez type of question.  However, I never own the Yakima Showdown before. 

Based on what I saw on YouTube (Rack Outfitters), it appeared the Hullavator offer (slightly) lower loading position than the Showdown.  On some days, it may make a difference, especially when you are not so energetic after a long day. 

Good luck, I believe either way you will be happy.

https://www.prolineracks.com/item/Thule-897XT-Hullavator-Kayak-Load-Assist-Carrier-456

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Well stated, Hojo. I've been using my Hullavator to transport my Hobie Outback and it barely fits. The kayak actually is too wide but I make it work. It also exceeds the rack's recommended weight capacity as well. If you don't put the yak on correctly, yes, you can warp or twist the arm. So anything lighter and more narrow than an Outback and you shouldn't encounter any issues like I have. That Jackson Coosa may be a bit too much in my opinion..
Exactly my experience with the Outback on the Hullivator.  I only use a trailer now for the Outback. It’s just a whole lot easier for me.  We do transport Hobie Revo 13’s with the Hullivator and two of those fit perfect.  I have the Hullivator on my Chevy Silverado. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydrospider

I had initially decided to go with the Showdown after only doing my web searches and info gathering.
Fortunately I live in a place that has a regular parade of racks and gear rolling through. I was able to see the Showdown and it wasn't as low profile as I had hoped. The Hullavator appears to have a better grip on the boats and as I have now arrived at 50, I decided to take that 40 pounds of lift assist.
I chose the Hullavator pro as my rack and after a series of adventures, I am happy with my purchase.
Thanks to those who offered their opinions.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I had initially decided to go with the Showdown after only doing my web searches and info gathering.
Fortunately I live in a place that has a regular parade of racks and gear rolling through. I was able to see the Showdown and it wasn't as low profile as I had hoped. The Hullavator appears to have a better grip on the boats and as I have now arrived at 50, I decided to take that 40 pounds of lift assist.
I chose the Hullavator pro as my rack and after a series of adventures, I am happy with my purchase.
Thanks to those who offered their opinions.
Your cradle width capacity is increased on the Pro.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I love my Hullivators except when they decide to lockup and not engage or disengage. Also when they decide to spring back while unloading the kayak.

Doesn't happen all the time but if you anticipate it happening then at least you are expecting the worst. It can totally jack you and or your yak up if you aren't ready.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:38:29 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I'm a wimpy old guy, and I load my Revolution on top of my SUV from the side, using a towel to protect my vehicle, as shown in my post at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=19202.msg204958#msg204958.  It's easy to do. I'm also a cheap old guy, and couldn't stomach coughing up hundreds of dollars for a kayak loading assist device.  The cost of my towel and bungie cord was under $10. 

Hydrospider

I love my Hullivators except when they decide to lockup and not engage or disengage. Also when they decide to spring back while unloading the kayak.

Thanks. Ill be aware that this can happen, but so far, all ops are smooth.

anything