Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Introducing the SLAM Categories!  (Read 2794 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Introducing the SLAMS! The NCKA AOTY Committee has gotten together and decided for the 2018 NCKA AOTY year that we are introducing 3 SLAM categories.

RCG Slam - Lingcod, Rockfish, Cabezon, Greenling
Bass Slam - Spotted & Smallmouth Bass (Combined Category), Striped Bass, Largemouth Bass
Freshwater Salmonid Slam - Brown Trout, Trout, Kokanee and Mackinaw

For each of the above SLAMS, the competitor who scores the most points will be crowned with the SLAM title. We will be working on getting these slams integrated into the AOTY website, but it may take a bit to get them to show up. That being said, these are official and ACTIVE so go get 'em!

We are currently working on getting sponsors for each of these slams, and hope to get some cool stuff for the best of the best. We hope this encourages more participation and some enthusiasm for those of you who may not be able to attack at least 10 species of fish full bore.

Getting excited yet? WE ARE!

Signing up for AOTY costs $40, and ALL net proceeds from the NCKA AOTY competition go to Pay it Forward, a Northern California kayak fishing community fund that helps out community members in financial need due to circumstances outside of their control.

AOTY Committee
Archie Marx, RacinRob, AnnieAreYouOK, Cod Almighty...
I am getting tired, there's so many of you now...
Midwest, Sin Coast ....
Sailfish..

Me
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:16:37 AM by bmb »

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
It's a SLAM dunk!  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Looks good,
I may actually have to join again.
Also,
Since you have two fresh water slams, how about a "Flat Slam" consisting of ;
Halibut, Petrali, Starry, Sandab?
;0)
Hobie Outback (dune)

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Looks good,
I may actually have to join again.
Also,
Since you have two fresh water slams, how about a "Flat Slam" consisting of ;
Halibut, Petrali, Starry, Sandab?
;0)
Still under consideration.  And we don't want to rejigger the tournament settings so it would include the 3 flatfish categories currently constructed. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:38:06 AM by bmb »

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
I also want to propose an anadramous slam, but i feel it would be fairly complicated for the competitors to click buttons about where they caught a fish and one slam already includes stripers so probably going to sit on that a bit. Plus anadramous steelhead and salmon fishermen don't necessarily cross with striper and sturgeon fishermen.

I think the three slams we have this year are pretty solid. If they are popular and we can get some cool prizes we can think about adding more.  Otherwise it ends up being more work for the committee to chase down sponsors. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:42:54 AM by bmb »

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I also want to propose an anadramous slam, but i feel it would be fairly complicated for the competitors to click buttons about where they caught a fish and one slam already includes stripers so probably going to sit on that a bit.

I think the three slams we have this year are pretty solid. If they are popular and we can get some cool prizes we can think about adding more.  Otherwise it ends up being more work for the committee to chase down sponsors. 

How about a trash fish slam?  Maybe carp, pikeminnow, sucker, and bat ray/misc. shark that isn't a thresher or leopard? 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
I also want to propose an anadramous slam, but i feel it would be fairly complicated for the competitors to click buttons about where they caught a fish and one slam already includes stripers so probably going to sit on that a bit.

How about a trash fish slam?  Maybe carp, pikeminnow, sucker, and bat ray/misc. shark that isn't a thresher or leopard?
I think our goal right now is to work within the parameters we have rather than try to add non-counting fish towards the top 10.  But those are definitely interesting ideas. 

Also, I hate carp so I would always vote against any proposal that includes them, so the other committee members would have to vote it in.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:55:29 AM by bmb »

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

I think our goal right now is to work within the parameters we have rather than try to add non-counting fish towards the top 10.  But those are definitely interesting ideas. 

Also, I hate carp so I would always vote against any proposal that includes them, so the other committee members would have to vote it in.
Pretty cool BMB!!! Thank you for doing this!!!
Yeah how about bring back the “Top 10” recognitions!?!?

Naoaki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Great concept. I'll sign up soon enough.

Since people seem to throwing out ideas, how about SLAMS for certain bodies of water? Don't know how it would work in the salt though. Catch any 3 or 4 different species that count towards AOTY in a day and tag the lake. Add up the points on that day and there is your score.  Someone out fished you on your favorite lake? Go beat the score.  Little mini competitions I guess. With the vast amount of lakes it would be hard to sponsor each one so maybe just have it for bragging rights.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Since youre taking requests, Id like to hear Free Bird.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:42:16 PM by ex-kayaker »
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

Since people seem to throwing out ideas, how about SLAMS for certain bodies of water? Don't know how it would work in the salt though. Catch any 3 or 4 different species that count towards AOTY in a day and tag the lake. Add up the points on that day and there is your score.  Someone out fished you on your favorite lake? Go beat the score.  Little mini competitions I guess. With the vast amount of lakes it would be hard to sponsor each one so maybe just have it for bragging rights.
Are you saying you only fish at one lake?

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I like it! I do AOTY to support the real Players and to log my short list of catches. This will be great! Focusing on a smaller target will make it fun for the little people that can't invest the time to win AOTY. Good addition to the fun :metal :smt041 :smt038 :headbang: :wav:
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

Adam brought up a similar idea with regional slams, but I can't see how it would work within our current configuration.  I am sure you guys could do that as on offline thing, but I don't know if our webmaster has the time to try and implement that.  Plus some of our guys are so secretive they wouldn't tell admit to telling you where they were even if you were sitting next to them on the water.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:59:20 PM by bmb »