Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:30:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Please improve my fishing skills or the lack or.  (Read 2169 times)

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I’ve been bottom trolling my ass off for a few weeks but no luck but I did get a lot of exercise.   Skunfest!  The only thing I caught in Alameda when I started kayak fishing is a smelt, a big one though. 

My cousin is visiting next week and I want to introduce sport fishing to him.  Any pros here with a tip or two?

Thanks!

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I think fishing Alameda is your "problem," not your fishng skill. If you want action, why not troll for trout, or  jig for rockfish?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I think fishing Alameda is your "problem," not your fishng skill. If you want action, why not troll for trout, or  jig for rockfish?

I googled it and the closest near me for trout fishing is Alameda Creek.  Is that the best spot for trout?

Also,  I don’t know most of the fishing spots here but Alameda is mostly sand or mud, what place do you have in mind for rockfish that’s near?

Thank you!

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

I googled it and the closest near me for trout fishing is Alameda Creek.  Is that the best spot for trout?

Also,  I don’t know most of the fishing spots here but Alameda is mostly sand or mud, what place do you have in mind for rockfish that’s near?

Thank you!
It's time to sit on some bait for a sturgeon, and stripers are being caught at candlestick
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
From Alameda, closest trout would be Quarry in Fremont I think. If nonyak, it would be Temescal in Oakland. Ask Mel (FishingAddict) to take you on one of his trout slaying outings... He always limits on trout at Quarry and Shadowcliffs. As for rockfish, join one of the hookups... the last Timber Cove hookup caught 40+ inch ling and some nice RF.

There's a dino hookup this Sat in the delta, but I would not recommend that, as the hookup/bite ratio is very low... unless you enjoy staring at your rodtip all day for the slightest twitching...Lol. Good luck

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I’ve been bottom trolling my ass off for a few weeks but no luck but I did get a lot of exercise.   Skunfest!  The only thing I caught in Alameda when I started kayak fishing is a smelt, a big one though. 

My cousin is visiting next week and I want to introduce sport fishing to him.  Any pros here with a tip or two?

Thanks!

What is your setup and what are you targeting?
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010

The ocean might not be the best place to use introduce someone to kayak fishing. Even the bay can be a rough spot for a beginner.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Thank you!
It's time to sit on some bait for a sturgeon, and stripers are being caught at candlestick
Sturgeons are Here!!!!! So are Stripers...!! Your better off trolling for stripers. If you want action in general I hear Clear lake crappies are biting. Drop shot a itty bitty minnow.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:20:28 PM by SlackedTide »
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Basically bottom fishing and targetting whatever is underneath.  For halibut, the bounce ball rig with squid (trolling) and also sliding sinker wih 🥓. Then a lot of other stuff.

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Sturgeons are Here!!!!! So are Stripers...!! Your better off trolling for stripers. If you want action in general I hear Clear lake crappies are biting. Drop shot a itty bitty minnow.
[/quote]

Haven’t tried fishing for sturgeons.  As for stripers, if they are the same as their fresh water counter part then they should be good game!  Miss those crappies... my kids love them.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Basically bottom fishing and targetting whatever is underneath.  For halibut, the bounce ball rig with squid (trolling) and also sliding sinker wih 🥓. Then a lot of other stuff.
try trolling a lunkerhunt bento swimmer with a weighted swimbait hook 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz. paddle slowly or drift as much a possible.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:35:13 PM by SlackedTide »
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
From Alameda, closest trout would be Quarry in Fremont I think. If nonyak, it would be Temescal in Oakland. Ask Mel (FishingAddict) to take you on one of his trout slaying outings... He always limits on trout at Quarry and Shadowcliffs. As for rockfish, join one of the hookups... the last Timber Cove hookup caught 40+ inch ling and some nice RF.

There's a dino hookup this Sat in the delta, but I would not recommend that, as the hookup/bite ratio is very low... unless you enjoy staring at your rodtip all day for the slightest twitching...Lol. Good luck

Will keep an eye for hook ups.  Follow up question,  just bought a car cross bar, would that be enough to transport a yak or do I need those J bars?

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Thanks Eddie, will google them for more information.

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
squid will attract a lot of things. including rays and shark.  but if you're targeting striper or halibut to bring home for the table, try bouncballing some anchovie,herring, or the smelt you catch.

if alameda is your local fishing hole, just be patient,  you'll meet some of the locals out there one of these days.

guitar shark/ guitar fish from one of the tourneys while targeting halibut.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
squid will attract a lot of things. including rays and shark.  but if you're targeting striper or halibut to bring home for the table, try bouncballing some anchovie,herring, or the smelt you catch.

if alameda is your local fishing hole, just be patient,  you'll meet some of the locals out there one of these days.

guitar shark/ guitar fish from one of the tourneys while targeting halibut.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ll take any catch!  All I’m getting right now are bites here and there from small baitfish when camping with a circle hook.  I see a lot of schools of baits though... If only we could cast net😩

anything