Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Why topshot?  (Read 2576 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Y'all are very helpful, I might switch to flouro because it lasts longer.  Many good reason to have a topshot, thank you, I forgot why I had one, I just remember it's what you do and now it is confirmed why :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I don’t topshot in most situation. The longest leader I use is about 25 feet so maybe that could be called a topshot. That’s only for jigging macs in clear water. Otherwise I’m braid with a short or no leader depending on what I’m doing and water clarity, or mono. If I was using flouro more ($$) I would think braid with 100yds or so of flouro would save some money.

So salt is 30lb braid (what’s with all the 65 or 50 braid?) with a leader from 15-30lbs depending on what I’m chasing from salmon to hali to rf. One reel to cover several rods. 

Topwater and flipping is 50lb braid. Short leader of mono if clear water topwater. Also stripers in muddy water is straight braid 50lb. (That’s one rod/reel for all of that)

Most other freshwater is light mono. I think my heaviest bass line is 15lb. Usually I throw 10lb.

Eddie you know I’m a KISS fisherman lol.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don’t topshot in most situation. The longest leader I use is about 25 feet so maybe that could be called a topshot. That’s only for jigging macs in clear water. Otherwise I’m braid with a short or no leader depending on what I’m doing and water clarity, or mono. If I was using flouro more ($$) I would think braid with 100yds or so of flouro would save some money.

So salt is 30lb braid (what’s with all the 65 or 50 braid?) with a leader from 15-30lbs depending on what I’m chasing from salmon to hali to rf. One reel to cover several rods. 

Topwater and flipping is 50lb braid. Short leader of mono if clear water topwater. Also stripers in muddy water is straight braid 50lb. (That’s one rod/reel for all of that)

Most other freshwater is light mono. I think my heaviest bass line is 15lb. Usually I throw 10lb.

Eddie you know I’m a KISS fisherman lol.
Yup, I try not to overthink this stuff but you know me, I bring the whole kitchen sink..... :smt005

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I hardly ever topshot. Unless it's called for or if my braid is getting low I'll throw on what ever I have in the garage. Usually it's 20# mono or fluoro. I just mainly use leader n swivels. Stripers aren't line shy. And sturgeons are as blind as can be.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
20' of top shot.
If braid get nicked under stress (like rubbing against a rock) it will break.
Mono can handle it.
When you catch as many fish as I do( :smt044) you are always cutting a few inches of line and retying your jig because the teeth are always nicking the line.
<=>

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
20' of top shot.
If braid get nicked under stress (like rubbing against a rock) it will break.
Mono can handle it.

This is a good point. I hooked a thresher shark this summer and lost it when my (50#) braid  broke---and that was with a 4' mono leader. I'm pretty sure it was the tail of the fish rubbing against the line, which was enough to cause the braid to fail. I'm still bummed out about that one. So, maybe a topshot is the way to go...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

OLDMANRIVER

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Not that very many of us use downriggers, but when fishing for Blackmouth Salmon in Puget Sound I use 30' of 30# mono as a topshot. I put 30' out and hook the last inch of mono into the downrigger clip as the briad doesn't stay in the clip.
2019 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2019 Hobie Outback - Papaya

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
For rockfish, I use straight braid to a small SPRO swivel. I also pre-tie a handful of 2-3 foot leaders of 30-lb mono with snaps at either end. Snap on a leader, snap on a lure, and I’m good to go. I also tie up “teasers” (in my case a Super Line EWG worm hook with a GitZit tube rigged up weed less) with about 4” inches of mono leader with a loop tied in the end. If I want to add a teaser, I just clip it on at the terminal end of the braid.

I like this setup because I can fish all day, with all different offerings, without tying a single knot on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:04:22 PM by AlexB »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
For rockfish, I use straight braid to a small SPRO swivel. I also pre-tie a handful of 2-3 foot leaders of 30-lb mono with snaps at either end. Snap on a leader, snap on a lure, and I’m good to go. I also tie up “teasers” (in my case a Super Line EWG worm hook with a GitZit tube rigged up weed less) with about 4” inches of mono leader with a loop tied in the end. If I want to add a teaser, I just clip it on at the terminal end of the braid.

I like this setup because I can fish all day, with all different offerings, without tying a single knot on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice, with my swaying disease, the least knot tying the better....

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything