Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shark shield question  (Read 2071 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Pm'd you brah but was meant for the forum, nonetheless, had mine wrapped in my crab pot and it was a hand buzzing minor doozy :smt006 :smt005
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I forgot which version I have but it's from 2012 or so. Battery lasts for a long time -- about 7 hours? Try adding a sinker at the end of the line to keep it from skipping on the water as you're moving.
hobie24 hobie08 rip

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I have the Freedom 7.  It fit through the scupper on my Viking.  I brought it out for SimplyFishing... and I have no idea how long it lasted as I launched at 0630 and it was off by the time I came in at 1300.  :smt102    I used an extra length of fishing line to dummy-cord it to the kayak... but honestly, with the tail through the scupper, I doubt it would pop out in a rollover.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I used to have nave a freedom 7 that I bought second hand. 5-6 years ago, I was paddling across Tomales bay side by side 5ft apart with another guy who also had his shark-shield in the water. I watched a 4ft leopard shark swim right between us on the surface unfazed.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I used to have nave a freedom 7 that I bought second hand. 5-6 years ago, I was paddling across Tomales bay side by side 5ft apart with another guy who also had his shark-shield in the water. I watched a 4ft leopard shark swim right between us on the surface unfazed.
Yeah but you never saw the GWS that it scared off.  That’s how you know it’s working. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Interesting, but doesn't really address the issue as to whether the shark shield will deter an attack. The most relevant info for kayakers is summarized here:

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
mine went off today at about 6-7 hrs..it will beep for few minutes and blink green while doing that to let the user know--its time to freestlye or go home
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
mine went off today at about 6-7 hrs..it will beep for few minutes and blink green while doing that to let the user know--its time to freestlye or go home
What's the fishing report? :smt006, mine goes about 6 hours
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
... mine goes about 6 hours

Mine lasts exactly 5 hours and 45 minutes, like clockwork. It's 4 or 5 years old and has held up well, in spite of being abused (dragged across sand, dropped onto concrete, etc.).
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014

Probably because a shark doesn't even feel it until it's within 3' as stated on their site. Enjoy 😀

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

Probably because a shark doesn't even feel it until it's within 3' as stated on their site. Enjoy 😀
3' is enough to shit myself lol
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014

3' is enough to shit myself lol

3' is also enough for it to hit your bow, or bite your head off, without it even feeling a tickle. The more you know. Haha.

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
How important do you think having a shark shield is?  Do you feel that it's worth it?
Everyone is different.  If you know statistics you probably don't need one.  If you know them and are a bit skeptical regarding drivebys and kayak attacks then it is a possible tool.  Worth it?  It does help me with some strange confidence that I'm a percentage safer with it, but not to be oblivious to the hair on my neck and the eerie conditions that some have written about here before a sighting or even a bump or actual experience.  Supposedly, if it's your time to meet your maker then your going home shark shield or not, I put the sticker on my kayak in case the unit is not effective and the shark can read :smt005........look out for those whales and those 400lb sea lions also........ :smt006

Yep, I'll point out that Eddie fishes solo a lot, so the SS seems to be giving him the confidence to go solo.  He's making it work and catching fish, so yes, the SS appears to be very effective.  I've got buddies who are more than happy to go out with me and my SS, otherwise, they put together outings with several people -- each additional yak drops the odds for all the rest of the yaks, especially with noobs.  You could just save yourself a wad of $$ by bringing a bunch of noobs with you, even better if you don't really know them that well.   :smt005 :smt005 :smt044 :smt044

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
... You could just save yourself a wad of $$ by bringing a bunch of noobs with you, even better if you don't really know them that well.

Human shark shield (HSS).
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

anything