Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:16:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Where are the trout biting?  (Read 751 times)

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I might have the day off tmw and have been wanting to get into some trout. Berryessa, from what I've heard isn't producing right now or I'd just go over the hill. Where else that's within an hour or so from Napa can I get into some trout?

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Take the time to go to Melones. All the normal rolling spoons work and the fish are hella fat this year. Doonriggers or divers

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

CaddyChris

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
It's more than an hour drive,  but I'm having good luck on the Mokelumne river right now. Nice beautiful fish that love to get airborne!
2016 Eddyline C-135
2016 Eddyline Caribbean 12
2005 Mad River 17

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Take the time to go to Melones. All the normal rolling spoons work and the fish are hella fat this year. Doonriggers or divers

That's a spot I've been thinking for a weekend camping trip. From the little research I've done it seems that the glory hole campground is right near the deeper water and the trout/kokanee. Do I got that right?

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

That's a spot I've been thinking for a weekend camping trip. From the little research I've done it seems that the glory hole campground is right near the deeper water and the trout/kokanee. Do I got that right?
yes, although the campsites aren't exactly waterfront.

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile

The pictures don't look too far off the water? Am I missing something? New Melones will be a weekend camping trip with my buddy and our wives. How cold does it get in early October?

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

The pictures don't look too far off the water? Am I missing something? New Melones will be a weekend camping trip with my buddy and our wives. How cold does it get in early October?
like most foothill lakes, the banks of melones can be extremely steep.  so you can leave your kayak waterfront and hike up, but its not like at camanche or o'neill where the kayaks are right next to your tent.  just a steepness thing.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
and pretty much everywhere in melones is near deeper water.  there's very few shallow flat type areas at melones.