Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:10:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is it time to reduce Rockfish limits?  (Read 5329 times)

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hey Vic,
Just windering if u know how to boil water?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Bad on the water thing... couldn't resist

Back on track, Dave, less is fine with me,
I never seem to get limits anyway so 7 is OK.
I do remember 5 yrs ago when I started ocean kayak fishing, catching those
 Big Ft Ross blacks(20 in plus) on light tackle, that was a blast!
I havn't caught those in 2 yrs ....???

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

srdave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Scott ya I feel the same way. Watch out they might throw a toaster at you for agreeing with me. :smt003

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Back on track, Dave, less is fine with me,
I never seem to get limits anyway so 7 is OK.
I do remember 5 yrs ago when I started ocean kayak fishing, catching those
 Big Ft Ross blacks(20 in plus) on light tackle, that was a blast!
I havn't caught those in 2 yrs ....???

I don't think a 2 year window or a 5 year window is good enough to draw any long term trends.  How many times a year did you fish in that time frame?  How often did you encounter those 20 in blacks?   What about numbers of fish?  Are you catching the same number of fish, or less.  Short term variations in distribution could very well explain your experience.  So many variables ...

-Allen

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
They are in Trinidad.  We are catching huge black rf there right now.  I have caught more black rf this year in trinidad than in any year since the 90s and more 20+" rf than ever.  I also had one trip this year where I caught 10 canaries and 8 blacks along with a smattering of other rockfish.  That had never happened before in any year I fished trinidad, which I've been doing for over 20 years.

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

srdave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Sonoma county especially Fort Ross gets private boats, kayaks, party boats , scuba divers and free divers, and I understand up north the kelp is still healthy too.
Do you get all that types of craft on the reef you fish at Trinidad ?
Refresh my memory 3/4 years ago we had fat abalone they were healthy and we had kelp beds in Sonoma too. last year it was gone no kelp, abalone started to skinny out this year kelp looks like scorched earth under water abalone starving dead shells showing up so the ecosystem can change in 3 years who knows maybe even less.
Hold the toasters please...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:28:05 PM by srdave »

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yes. It gets pretty heavily used.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

srdave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Everyone slams me for asking this but how is the kelp up there out of Trinidad?

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Everyone slams me for asking this but how is the kelp up there out of Trinidad?

It's slowly recovering. Probably about 25% of "normal". There's still tons of purple urchins but there are also a lot of starfish and sea stars now. I think those hold the key to kelp recovery.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
2017 Oregon bottomfish closure is imminent.  Overquota on black rockfish.  I have 3 unrelated confirming sources, seems really credible even though I don't really want to believe it.  Expect announcement soon.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Tinker

It appears ODFW may have to drastically reduce next year's quota, too.  This could last a while.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That will teach me to sing the praises of oregon's management of groundfish. Everyone lol@crash now. brb eating some crow.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
2017 Oregon bottomfish closure is imminent.  Overquota on black rockfish.  I have 3 unrelated confirming sources, seems really credible even though I don't really want to believe it.  Expect announcement soon.
Would that mean a closure to all bottomfishing, or just closure of black RF retention?
aMayesing Bros.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Would that mean a closure to all bottomfishing, or just closure of black RF retention?

Word is closure of all bottomfishing. There is an internal email that went out this morning that gives details. I'm trying to find a copy of it leaked somewhere. It would be nice if ODFW got out ahead of all the rumors sometime very soon.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Word is closure of all bottomfishing. There is an internal email that went out this morning that gives details. I'm trying to find a copy of it leaked somewhere. It would be nice if ODFW got out ahead of all the rumors sometime very soon.

Flatfish to remain open?

-Allen

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Flatfish to remain open?

-Allen

Yes.

4K lbs of south quota (out of 10k total) was moved to central inshore a couple weeks ago and there's still 14k of all depth remaining for halibut. South is getting screwed bad.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

anything