Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Plug building  (Read 8937 times)

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Appreciate the props guys! The pics don't show it but there are definitely imperfections. I don't think the fish will care but I'd want them to come out a little better before I give them out.

I got the wood from saltwaterplugs.com. He has a wide selection of types and some come pre-drilled for thru-wire. He also sells his plugs bare so you can paint them and add the hardware you choose
Headwaters Kayak Fishing Team

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Man , some of these kayak fishermen are so creative!

Nice Work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
That's some top notch craftsmanship. This blow ups are going to be even more rewarding since you made the lures.

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Did a little work today and some testing. I cut one of the the "Lyman" type plugs with a cup shape and left the other flat for the test. Surprisingly there didn't seem to be much difference in action between the two so I'm probably not going to worry about the cup shape. I did make a little mistake and drilled the screw eye slightly off center on one plug so it pulled a little to the left. Otherwise I'm pretty happy.

I also started on a new spook with a a little different shape to it, larger head and body. Also moved the weight a little closer to the tail. Will test it soon

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:47:14 AM by racer414 »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
My friend scored 2nd place at the fair for a wood cut and lathe entry.  It was a lamp. It would be fun to enter one of your lures in a local fair to see if "Best in show" was waiting for you.  Next year.  Does Lodi have a fair?  Sounds trivial but your work is fun and solid. :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
They do, but like you say maybe next year...I need a lot more practice before I'd enter these into competition. And more importantly I need to catch some fish on them. I have tried the spook once so far, but conditions were not ideal (mid day) and didn't have any action. Might have to wait for the fall run

Thanks Eddie!

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Been having a few issues trying to get my epoxy finish to look nice. So, I finally went out and bought a rotisserie to help prevent pooling issues. Also I've seen people use a butane torch and with quick blasts from it they are able to remove the little air bubbles that develop from mixing the epoxy. I've already sanded and re-applied a coat of epoxy to the spook. This time its better but still not how I want it. So it will probably get sanded again, and another coat of epoxy.

And a few pics since I haven't added any in a little while. I've got four other lures waiting for epoxy but I want to get this spook figured out first.

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I feel like I'm getting better and more efficient in all areas of the process, except epoxy... I did have a couple lures turn out decent from yesterdays batch, and two others that didn't. The two with eyes are farrrr from perfect as you can see from the pic. The other two (that I forgot eyes) turned out pretty good other than a couple small bubbles I missed. If I can get a finish like that all or most of the time I'll be pretty happy.

I also worked on the popper I made my first go-around. It casted well enough for me, but sat in the water level, so I decided I'd work on it a bit and see if I could improve it. I cut the wire and removed the hardware so I could drill out the tail. Then drilled a couple of my weights. Re-sealed the newly exposed wood and epoxied the weights in. Sits much better now with just the neck sticking up.

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
A little more work accomplished. My intent with building has been to fill my personal tackle box, so this time around I decided to try a few different styles. I opted for a 7" needle, 5" pencil, and a 3.5" hula popper. Also purchased some forstner drill bits to make things a little cleaner/easier. I've read its important to keep the center of gravity low for the needle, so I just used a hammer to flatten the lead a little. Then used a dremel to get the basic contour of the plug to match up. Still need to drill the hole for the front hook.

cal.ndn-yakin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Beautiful work there. 

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
My first attempt.  I hesitate on adding a hook.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
That hula popper will be a good one. Just curious whether you are going to try things with lips, like, say, jitterbug or rapala?
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
That hula popper will be a good one. Just curious whether you are going to try things with lips, like, say, jitterbug or rapala?

Possibly. There are a few different varieties of swimmers I'd like to try at some point. The east coast builders make several variations with a metal lip, but they sound a little more difficult.