Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Physical Conditioning and Preparation  (Read 2752 times)

SanddabMan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
For some of you young'uns and kayakers with the liberty to hit the water often, this may not be such a big deal, but I haven't seen a lot of discussion on this topic. One of the near death rescues I pulled off years ago involved a guy who went kayaking when he was sick. He wasn't on his game, mentally or physically. While boating a fish he leaned over too far, capsized with his spray skirt off and one hatch open (and had peeled his wetsuit down to his waist due to warm weather!), and submerged both himself and his kayak. Sometime I'll try to post the whole story, but the point here is that he wasn't mentally or physically fit to be on the water that day, and I had to save his bacon. So to the point...I'm mid 40's, raising kids, career going nuts, high stress, no time for exercise. In my experience and knowledge, the ocean can eat you on a good day. On a bad day things can go full nightmare quickly. So you have to be on your game, or stay home and save it for another day. I'm sure there are a lot of suggestions out there, hence my starting this chat, but I figured I'd share a solution I came up with for my current life status. Last year I started working out at Paul Gale's Chinese Martial Arts Association in Arcata, doing Kung Fu. It's a lot better than jogging, treadmill or lifting weights, because it not only works your cardio, but works your muscles from head to foot with a ton of exercises that translate directly to paddling, peddling and fighting big fish. It's an internal martial art focusing on balance, posture and coordination as opposed to techniques and fighting. If you live in the area, drop by for a free month or even single workout to check it out. If you're out of the area and find yourself in my shoes, I can attest that a couple nights a week has helped me stay in good enough shape that I'll be able to jump back in the water if the wind ever dies down. Additional training that I've found very helpful is an occasional frolic in the surf with a sit-on-top kayak like and ocean kayak mailibu. Catch some waves, wipe out on a few, climb back on while getting tossed around, etc. You gotta plan for the unexpected headwind you'll sometime have to paddle against, or towing a crippled kayaker back to shore. Towing a disabled kayak was part of my second rescue on the ocean. Being in good enough shape to make it through rough water and help the guy back in his boat and then tow him in was critical. Hope this sparks some thought for those who are a bit out of shape like I was getting last year.

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Actually a good point.
Catch & Repeat

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Martial arts sounds like a good workout. There is no way My body could handle it.  My main workout is actually getting into the water.  I don't claim to be in shape and personally limit going out in dangerous conditions.  I don't want anyone risking their lives for mine.  I carry safety gear and have no problem calling coast guard to help if I am not in good enough shape in any given scenario.  I am not going to pass on a kayak trip because I am not in shape enough for all possible scenarios.  For me diving is the best low impact training around and about all my body can handle on a good day. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
It is a good point, especially as we all age.
Personally I have to put in a lot more effort these days then I used to just to maintain.
If I am a little sore and fatigued at the end of a day, I'm stoked.

I know each year that passes makes it that much more important.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Good topic. I pedal a hobie so for exercise, I try to bike whenever I get the chance. One of these days I'm going to actually get out on the water to see if it's doing me any good...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

SanddabMan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
That's a good idea, DG, on the diving. I'm not set up for it, but swimming and diving would be good across-the-body workouts. The martial arts system we train in is referred to as an internal system. It's much different than most of the gyms/systems you'll see around. It's a lot more like Tai Chi, just a little faster, so we've traditionally had a lot of older folks in the gym because they can go at their own pace and not tear something or get beat up. I've been hearing quite a bit of complaining from folks I used to kayak or duck hunt with as they hit their 60s and 70s, they just can't do it anymore. Then I've been noticing a few friends in their 70s who bike everywhere around town instead of driving and I seriously can't keep up with them at 43. They're in darn good shape. Granted they don't have a bunch of kids and the same workload I have. So that's why two nights a week at the gym allow me to make it several miles out to my sanddab beds. My dad is one of those who was starting to wear out, but now that you mention it, he got a membership at the local gym/pool and at 70 he's starting to get back in shape from swimming laps a few times a week, to the point where he can keep up with me. I'm interested to hear other ideas for those who can't get out on the ocean often enough to stay in shape for a big trip.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Last year I started working out at Paul Gale's Chinese Martial Arts Association in Arcata, doing Kung Fu. It's a lot better than jogging, treadmill or lifting weights, because it not only works your cardio, but works your muscles from head to foot with a ton of exercises that translate directly to paddling, peddling and fighting big fish. It's an internal martial art focusing on balance, posture and coordination as opposed to techniques and fighting. If you live in the area, drop by for a free month or even single workout.

That is a generous offer and I'd like to take you up on it.

I'm not giving up weight lifting tho. Maybe you would like to come lift sometime?  This is one of those times where the correct answer is Both. You should do Both.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
Here's a pretty interesting WSJ article that seems relevant to this discussion. The author didn't do martial arts, but he found that lots of stretching, balance training, etc., was key, so pretty similar principles. Unfortunately the article seems to be behind their paywall, so you might not be able to get to it for a few more days...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/giving-a-kidney-fixed-my-jump-shot-1494187432
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

SanddabMan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I forgot to mention surfing as another toning option. Back when I had time to surf I was in killer shape. Too many responsibilities to hit the waves much these days. I have to say I'm really glad I was in good shape both times I pulled off harrowing kayak rescues and helped a mom pull two drowning girls out of the Mad River!

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I've started going back to metal concerts. Nothing like cross training in a pit. Arms pushing and shoving. Overhead presses as people crowd surf. Legs for jumping and running. Keeping your back and core tight to prepare for the next hit.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I've started going back to metal concerts. Nothing like cross training in a pit. Arms pushing and shoving. Overhead presses as people crowd surf. Legs for jumping and running. Keeping your back and core tight to prepare for the next hit.

:smt044 :smt044

Sounds like an A-hulls chill  :smt044 :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I hear ya bro. Damn good point indeed. You just never kno wats going to happen out there on the big blue rather it be you or someone else and I can't just ignore a cry for help. I fill like its our duty. I would say I'm in pretty good shape too from my job, weightlifting, boxing, and running but i kno and fill like i could be better and in better shape. Good proper gear does make a difference tho and we should never fill ashame for calling for help if needed.
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
There were a couple of times last year when it was a complete workout getting back to my launch.  When the ripping current and strong wind team up against you after a long day of trolling, it sucks!  My legs are still sore from last year's salmon season but damn that was fun!  You better be ready to do work if you want to fish in the ocean
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:16:38 PM by Str8FishiN »
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

justyakit

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
You can do what Tony does too  :smt003

anything