Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:29:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:24 AM]

[Today at 08:08:08 AM]

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Your Weekly Safety Reminder  (Read 4623 times)

Tinker

I think I'd give OK a call about the patch.  You'd make a fortune if you could invent a glue that makes a permanent bond to HDPE, and I think I'd ask the manufacturer for recommendations before going DIY.

You didn't say what reels got dunked.  Some are better sealed than others, but, generally speaking, you'll want to do more than spray them with a hose on a mist setting.  When I dunk a reel, I rinse it under a tap with warm water - warm carries off more salt than cold water - then spray them with Salt-A-Way and let it work for three or four minutes, then back under warm water.

You'll hear differing opinions on using Salt-A-Way, but it's what Galvan recommends for my uber-expensive fly reel, and I trust their recommendation.

After that, if I can, I'll break the reel down and spray the innards liberally with Rem Oil, set it on a paper towel to drain excess oil, and put it back together.

Good luck on the fix and the clean up.  Glad you made it back okay.

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Yeah no problem, hope you like it

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
i always carry a bilge pump.  used it the first time i brought it out on the water.  also at stillwater, it wasn't for me, but for a fellow ncka buddy that forgot to screw back his plug.  his day wouldve ended for sure, but instead, we got the water out, the plug back in, and continued fishing.

paid 20 bucks for the pump, already got my money's worth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I am the original sunken kayaker at the 3rd (first good) Shelter Cove event that swapped and needed to be rescued (can even watch the videos of me being rescued on YouTube).  I've carried a pump ever since, and have only actually needed to help others with it thank goodness.  Glad you made it back safe and you were able to recover most of your equipment. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I need one of these now  :smt005

Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Glad you're OK. Sounds like you took pretty much all the necessary precautions, other than having a pump and flotation. Sometimes sh*t happens, though.

OKs are notoriously thin-walled, although in my experience, they're sturdy enough around the scuppers. You might check with OK regarding the hole but I would a guess they'll say never stick anything rigid in the scuppers!  :dontknow: :smt003

HDPE can be welded but it's supposedly tough to do around the scuppers, as someone mentioned. I think it can be done.

Regarding a pump, I suggest not skimping by getting a cheapie. Higher quality ones are really not that expensive - maybe $25 - $35.
Catch & Repeat

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Glad you're OK.

+1

It sounds like you handled the situation well.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Whew...'nuff said.

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
F that was scary reading that, possible fix... I would probably get a tube. Smaller then the size of scupper n marine epoxy the B$&?h in religiously.. Maybe seal it too. Pool noodles are cheap. I've always wanted to seal half the inside of my kayak and dump some expanding foam ...
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Glad everything turned out OK. You made the paper.

Did anyone bother to accompany you or at the very least offer to take on your gear?

Sounds like you would've been in much better hands with the Fort Ross crew that was out there today.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Eh NCKA Bruddahs,
About 3 years ago, I flipped my Hobie Tandem Oasis yak in Pillar Point Harbor after having to load some loaded crab traps onto my yak because the wind was starting to blow. Once I was in the harbor, a NCKA Bruddah, told me that I had to sort out all of my traps before I landed at HMB Kayak. I had some misgivings because I had a lot of crabs in my Danielsons and my traps had extra weights on. So, as I lifted on of my full traps above my PVC rear scupper holes trap holder, I had to lift it pretty high and the weight on the full trap was too much and I couldn't hold it as it tipped to the side, Needless to say, my Hobie Oasis Tandem flipped w/ the traps still attached to my Yak. It was a fucking bitch to right the heavy kayak as the Oasis Tandem Kayak has a very wide hull and I had a hard time reaching across the hull to pull it up right. I somehow was able to get my yak upright, I hauled myself in and as I started moving, I realized that it was very hard to move and when I checked my hatch, the hull was half full water. I limped to shore.
Right after that experience, I ordered a NRS bilge pump and 2 Rescue Ladders. Paddling a waterlogged kayak is no joke. I was lucky that I was already in Pillar Point Harbor!!!
I also realized that most of the water came in from the front storage hatch which is lonely secured by bungee like cords. I later installed a more solid front hatch lock that would not open even if the kayak was flipped upside down.
The other safety tools that I always carry are  two 7/16 box/open end wrenches. I once had the Mirage Drive cables come loose when I was out in the open ocean and did not have a wrench to tighten the 7/16 nut to tighten the Mirage Drive cables. I was lucky that day that I had my sail on and I was able to sail almost all the way into HMB/Pillar Point.
Anyway, thanks for starting this Safety thread. One can never be too safe out in the ocean blue!!
Mahalo,
Da Bruddah
Michael Y.
Anyway, those are my
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Glad everything turned out OK. You made the paper.

Did anyone bother to accompany you or at the very least offer to take on your gear?

Sounds like you would've been in much better hands with the Fort Ross crew that was out there today.

No shit? Which paper? And no, nobody did. But I have learned over the years, you can't wait for someone to offer to help in shitty situations, you have to pretty much tell them. That was my bad. I should have just started handing shit over to some of the people I asked for help instead of just asking for a pump and moving on.

F that was scary reading that, possible fix... I would probably get a tube. Smaller then the size of scupper n marine epoxy the B$&?h in religiously.. Maybe seal it too. Pool noodles are cheap. I've always wanted to seal half the inside of my kayak and dump some expanding foam ...

That's an idea. Just get a piece of PVC that fits snug in there and glue th #$$% out of it? I'll ask OK tomorrow to see what they think.

I somehow was able to get my yak upright, I hauled myself in and as I started moving, I realized that it was very hard to move and when I checked my hatch, the hull was half full water. I limped to shore.
Right after that experience, I ordered a NRS bilge pump and 2 Rescue Ladders. Paddling a waterlogged kayak is no joke.

Man that sucks. I'm glad I didn't flip. I don't think people realize how fucking heavy those things are full of water. I couldn't paddle it, just wasn't going to happen. When it got towed to shore, it took me, my rescuer, and some nice guy walking on the beach to flip it over and drain the water. I bet my yak weighed close to 400 lbs.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
HAHA! Found the news story. 

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/6893416-181/three-fishermen-rescued-on-sonoma

I wasn't going to go on a rant or anythingbecause it was my dumbass who sank and needed rescued; but I saw a LOT of people out there without life jackets and wetsuits and radios. It'll never happen to you until it happens to you. Now, time to track Joe down so I can send him a gift card or some beers.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Glad you made it back safe! I never go without a bilge and pool noodles both have saved my ass more than once. Fixing a scupper hole might be pretty tough and how would you feel abouut the safety on the ocean. You might be able to fix it and use on a lake or river but relying on the ocean is a different story. I know it sounds like an expensive option but how important is your life. The ocean is unforgiving and if shit happens you might not be so lucky next time.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
There is a video up of spike and some others rescuing the guys in the zodiac.

anything