Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:16:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: roll the scupper pro?  (Read 6500 times)

Hydrospider

yes

wasn't pretty, but success on my first attempt.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:52:53 AM by Hydrospider »

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Thigh straps right?
<=>

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thigh straps right?

Is there a way to roll a sit on top without thigh straps?

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Sit-on-top kayaks can be rolled over upside down without thigh straps.  They can't be eskimo rolled back upright without the use of thigh straps.

Now that I've said that, somebody is going to post a video of themselves locking their legs around the sides of their upside-down sit-on-top kayak while they are underwater and rolling it upright.  It would be worth being proved wrong to see a stunt like that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:34:24 PM by pmmpete »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
yes

wasn't pretty, but success on my first attempt.

Now that is cool.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Hydrospider

Correct, I use thigh straps, but there is also a foot stirrup and lap belt combo.

Being strapped into this boat allows you to fully realize how quick this hull really is. wow

My 2nd roll was smoother and I was able to keep my visor on.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:26:16 AM by Hydrospider »

Hydrospider

Strapped in shots from another cam angle.

Saving the video for another project.
Im either getting stronger or the scupper pro is easier to roll.
Going to try to roll the Tarpon 140 again soon.

Hydrospider

Now I'm considering...

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
RTM kept the scupper molds when they split with Ocean. Sure looks the same huh. Thanks for sharing the scupper project. I love those boats.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I suspect that a Scupper Pro with thigh straps would be easier to roll than many other kayaks with thigh straps because it doesn't have a stiffened nylon or lawn chair style seat, which makes it possible to lay back on the rear deck of the Scupper Pro when rolling back up, if you like that style of roll.  In a kayak with a seat, you'd need to do more of a C-to-C roll.  And it would be real difficult to roll a sit-on-top kayak if the seat is at all elevated.

Sit-on-top kayaks can be rolled over upside down without thigh straps.  They can't be eskimo rolled back upright without the use of thigh straps.

Now that I've said that, somebody is going to post a video of themselves locking their legs around the sides of their upside-down sit-on-top kayak while they are underwater and rolling it upright.  It would be worth being proved wrong to see a stunt like that.
I am amazed and disappointed that somebody hasn't already accepted my challenge and posted a video of themselves rolling a sit-on-top kayak back up without thigh straps.  It seems to me that you should be able to make a pretty vigorous hip snap and lay back on the back deck with your legs locked around the sides of a kayak.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:15:58 PM by pmmpete »

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I remember when my butt use to fit in a Scuppertwin hatch 18 years ago.  :smt005 :moon :moon :moon :moon :bootyshake: :(
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I still have a scupper twin hatch... I can't even sit in the thing... :smt044 Only 2 of my skinny little girls can :smt005 But what a hull! Fast and stable. Wish the ass depression was Xl.... :smt007
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I still have a scupper twin hatch... I can't even sit in the thing... :smt044 Only 2 of my skinny little girls can :smt005 But what a hull! Fast and stable. Wish the ass depression was Xl.... :smt007

I loved my Scupper Pro it still to this day one of my favorite kayaks I've ever owned. You are right it is fast and was great for surf launching.
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

Hydrospider

I suspect that a Scupper Pro with thigh straps would be easier to roll than many other kayaks with thigh straps because it doesn't have a stiffened nylon or lawn chair style seat, which makes it possible to lay back on the rear deck of the Scupper Pro when rolling back up, if you like that style of roll.  In a kayak with a seat, you'd need to do more of a C-to-C roll.  And it would be real difficult to roll a sit-on-top kayak if the seat is at all elevated.

Thank you for sharing your expertise. The C2C roll was the first roll that I learned in WW boats and I tried it with the SOTs with very little success. Have you rolled a SOT?  You may be better and stronger than I am but I find rolling a SOT a lot more challenging than rolling a SIK, even with the straps.
One thing is for certain, my brace is FAR more effective after working on my roll.

I am amazed and disappointed that somebody hasn't already accepted my challenge and posted a video of themselves rolling a sit-on-top kayak back up without thigh straps.  It seems to me that you should be able to make a pretty vigorous hip snap and lay back on the back deck with your legs locked around the sides of a kayak.
Im not surprised that someone hasn't accepted. Im sure it can and has been done. Im just not sure that I have the core strength to pull it off. Ive challenged myself to be able to roll a big fishing SOT eventually and to be able to roll a SOT without a paddle. Im not there yet but Im putting in the work.

Maybe a more reasonable challenge for the NCKA would be to just see who can roll a SOT and document.
Sure, the SOT makes the roll "unnecessary" but it is still a basic kayak skill and its the foundation of the brace, which is absolutely applicable.
There are pro staff and others here who talk the talk but I'd like to see if there are any "pros" or "OGs"
who really have the skills.  Its easy to pretend on the internet but not on the water.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:01:28 PM by Hydrospider »

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Cant roll. never could. never tried. I can roll over halfway though. That is documented. hehehe
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost