Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 54 Kayaker Rescued from Tomales Bay  (Read 1207 times)

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Anybody else hear or read about this?Glad everybody was okay...

54 Kayakers Rescued From Tomales Bay
Multiple agencies fight darkness and cold to save dozens of people

Woodacre, CA – Caught in hazardous conditions on Tomales Bay, 54 kayakers participating in a bioluminescence paddle tour were rescued late Saturday night and early Sunday morning by a multi-agency response led by the Marin County Fire Department (MCFD). Two people were treated for mild hypothermia, but no hospitalizations were required.

Shortly before 10 p.m. Saturday, emergency dispatchers received a report of a capsized boat on Tomales Bay in the area of Hog Island. While rescue units responded, new information came in that approximately 60 kayakers were in distress and in need of rescue. The paddlers, all wearing life jackets, were seeking to view bioluminescent water animals that naturally emit light. All but two kayakers were part of the organized tour.
MCFD launched rescue watercraft from the Tomales and Point Reyes fire stations, and additional resources were requested from the National Park Service and the Southern Marin Fire District.
The kayakers, including a few professional guides, later said the winds increased during the tour and conditions became hazardous. They paddled to Hog Island and Pelican Point, where they were picked up by rescue watercraft and inflatable boats and delivered to Nicks Cove near Marshall for assessment by medical personnel. Multiple trips were required to retrieve all 54 kayakers. The rescues were completed just before 1 a.m. Sunday.
“It serves as a reminder to everyone visiting and recreating on the coast,” said MCFD Chief Jason Weber. “The ocean and weather can be powerful and unpredictable.

“The professional guides did a good job getting the kayakers to the island and beach,” said MCFD Battalion Chief Chris Martinelli. “This is an example of some incredible teamwork from multiple agencies.”

In addition to MCFD, Southern Marin Fire and the National Park Service, the effort included aid from the California Highway Patrol, the Novato Fire District, Stinson Beach Fire Department, and the Tomales Volunteer Fire Department.
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
The monday following, John/Threemoneyj and I went out to fish in less than favorable conditions and witnessed kayak tour companys making mutiple trips to retrieve the stranded kayaks out at Pelican Point.

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Glad everyone was okay

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=68012.0

Dam; must be getting old, dont know how i missed that post... Guess i was way too btsy at work to surf the forum... Dooh

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Glad everyone was okay

Dam; must be getting old, dont know how i missed that post... Guess i was way too btsy at work to surf the forum... Dooh

Definitely age related.......busy at work? Good one :smt044 :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Glad everyone was okay

Definitely age related.......busy at work? Good one :smt044 :smt044

Busy at work is defined as "not being able to surf the internet for more than 6 hours..."

.5 PayBills
1hr text/emails
1.5hrs Amazon.
1hr WranglerForum
.5hr ArcheryTalk
1.5hr NCKA
{Lunch Break}
1.5hrs get your mail out! :smt012

That sums up my work day  :smt003

anything