Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:08:36 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Outback vs revo  (Read 4699 times)

SirFishAlot

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I'm wanting to make the big switch from a trident but wondering what are the pro's and con's of the outback and revo from first hand experience.
"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Several threads on this over the years. There are plusses, minuses and proponents of each.  Try the search tool for some good info.
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

bpowa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
There are a couple threads below on the same topic.  From what I gather..   Revo for ocean, and outback for lakes or flat water.

Both can do both conditions.  More space for gear etc. on sides and stable for outback.

I have a revo.. I think its pretty stable enough for ocean.  A bit more tipsy than my old tarpon, but I got use to it real quick.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
The Outback is nicer to crab from because there is more room.  You can also kneel on it to take a leak if the swells aren't too close together.  But, it's a slow, slappy ride.  You'll ride up every swell and then slam down the back side.

The Revo is narrower and feels like there's less space, but feels much more nimble while on the move.  It punches through chop instead of riding over it.

Both troll nicely, but the Revo is more efficient by design.  Quite frankly, stability isn't too much of a concern after about 10 minutes of seat time.  Outback has outstanding primary and secondary stability.  Revo has less primary stability but still excellent secondary stability.

Or... do what I did and just buy an AI    :smt003
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Definitely try them both out, and read up on the pro/con threads already done.  For me, Outback, but I fish freshwater 98% of the time.  If I was more of a saltwater guy I'd probably go with the Revo 16.

MikeinFresno

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
having just come from a T13 to the Outback I am soooo impressed, its just so good. It doesn't have the rod storage under the deck capabilities, that's the only thing that is not better than the T13, way more stable than the T13.

Roofer Rich

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I went from t13 to a pro angler 12 and hated my first couple times out until I got one of the backwater hand paddles and that brought back the monuverabilty that I lost going to a hobie. I have now spent 3 days on ocean back in my trident 13 and caught some nice rock cod at van damn and Caspar. I am glad I kept the t13 but the hobie drives just are amazing. Going out to Albion tomorrow in the trusty trident 13 that has served me well for past 6 years 
2015 Hobie PA12
OK trident 13

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I was back and forth for about a year over outback or revo 13. I tested both numerous times. I'm about 75% freshwater and 25% salt. I ended up going with the revo 13 and am very pleased with it! Stability is great IMO. I spent a day of practice flipping it and recovering. It takes a lot more to flip than you would think! I keep the seat in the high position when I'm in freshwater and low in saltwater. Now that I own the revo I'm glad I went with it. The things that I thought I wanted in the outback weren't really there. Those were things like more storage and the ability to stand. If I really wanted those things then the pro angler would be the way to go! The revo is all day comfortable and very efficient. I've still fished, drift fished, trolled, and crabbed from it.

At any rate, test them both and see what you like 
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I had the same problem.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
The Outback gets around just fine and has room to put bigger fish.  I have no problem keeping up with Revos in 11 and 13.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
The Outback gets around just fine and has room to put bigger fish.  I have no problem keeping up with Revos in 11 and 13.

But the real question is whether you could keep pace with yourself in a Revo ...

-Allen

Ghan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
I went from an Outback to a Revo 13.

Outback: very stable, I have to TRY to flip it.  Bow shape causes every wave you hit to cause a slapping sound.  Nice to have the rails on the sides, I used 'em a lot on the fly to temporarily hold small things.  I hated the bungee on the front hatch. 
I fished the Simply Fishing tournament last year in the Outback and it was really hard to paddle that fat tub around in 20mph wind.
I can maintain a steady 3mph with turbo fins, tops at 5mph.

Revo 13: A lighter boat for loading and hauling around on the beach.
Not as stable, much less primary stability.
I can paddle the Revo at 2.5mph - 3mph, can maintain 4mph with turbo fins and tops out at 6mph for short bursts.
Much narrower sides, but still wide enough to mount gear tracks to attach most anything you might need.
The narrowness with much sleaker nose allows the boat to track better, cuts waves and maintains speed better especially in the wind.

I wish they made a Revoback - sleek nose, but wider in the middle.
Gary - Hobie Revo 13, AI
Never right side up or upside down.  Is this real or am I dreaming.

pridyuk

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015

thats exactly how i feel, i own both and love both but a hybrid between the two would be the best.

speed - i cant really tell the difference.
stability-- maybe little more for the outback
space--definately outback, thats a big thing for me i like to keep stuff on the side trays of the outback.
slap--thats where the revo rules over the outback--when in ocean and in the chop outback just slams the waves and revo just cuts through them

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

slap--thats where the revo rules over the outback--when in ocean and in the chop outback just slams the waves and revo just cuts through them

The Outbook "slaps" some water on your face when cutting through those choppy waves.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red