Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Dummies Guide to Crabbing  (Read 76959 times)

PandaMan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017

So if your line is leaded, is there still need of tying it down or using leaded weights?
I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt.
If the line sinks and is not a boat hazard you donÂ’t need to add weights.

Got it! Yeah I’m using leaded line and it’s under the water. Besides zip tying it I was trying to see how others lay their pots.

Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edlovestofish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
That was great I was taken away by how many traps where in the  Boating Lane in HMB just last week

Fishigan

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I know this is EXTREMELY late in posting; had issues with compressing the file enough to post. :smt013

This was shared at the Crabbing Seminar we held a feeewww years ago at CCK-Oakland. :smt009

Sorry Frank & Bunny! I know that I REALLY lagged on getting you a copy!!! :smt010

Glen
Great tips!

I recently saw a video of a chef preparing a whole crab. He indicated you can humanly kill the crab quickly by piercing the belly of the crab just under the tip of the tail. This supposedly hits the central nervous system, killing the crab. Of course you would then want to immediately put it in the pot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

iamjusjus

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Thanks to the OP for the guide. Always a great refresher to read through that stuff. Especially as my collection expands and I can take more crab at once.

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
This subject drew my attention because I'm a dummy and went crabbing for the first time, today.  My son and I fished Baker Beach in SF and also threw out one of those crab snares one can get from Ebay.  We caught at least 10 crabs, most legal size, and all female - no keepers today. So, is it expected the catch will be a very low percentage male or is this unusual? :smt001   

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
This subject drew my attention because I'm a dummy and went crabbing for the first time, today.  My son and I fished Baker Beach in SF and also threw out one of those crab snares one can get from Ebay.  We caught at least 10 crabs, most legal size, and all female - no keepers today. So, is it expected the catch will be a very low percentage male or is this unusual? :smt001

The SF Bay is a dungie nursery (thats why you can't crab for them inside the GG Bridge) and alot of females pass through through that area.

Also since its late in the season; alot of the legal size have been picked clean by the Commies; so its slow everywhere this time of year...

The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

As a recreational fisherman, you can keep the females... just saying.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
G whiz and eelkarm, thanks for the reply.  Dang commies - the election, now this! Argh. And for some reason I thought females were off limits, not. 

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
As a recreational fisherman, you can keep the females... just saying.

But I would recommend against it; the meat is bitter and they produce the next generation....

If its the roe you desire, drop one pot close to the rocks and target Reds; the meat in the claws are sweeter and they are over-abundant....

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
This tutorial, for those of you who are just getting in to crabbing from a kayak like myself, is pretty helpful.  Thanks Yoda.

PURE ICE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
What's the furthest south you'd all soak traps with the intent on bringing home enough for a meal and not just by catch?
J. Ice

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
What's the furthest south you'd all soak traps with the intent on bringing home enough for a meal and not just by catch?
J. Ice

I've caught some from Pigeon Point.  You really need to have the flat sandy bottoms. 
Otherwise HMB is your best bet.

PURE ICE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
What's the furthest south you'd all soak your traps if you were planning to bring home dinner and not just hope for by catch?

J. Ice

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
What's the furthest south you'd all soak your traps if you were planning to bring home dinner and not just hope for by catch?

J. Ice

If you are staying inside the cove, go to the opposite end; past the last Green Bouy....

Billy Harville

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
That was a great tutorial. 
Thanks
Billy BigRig