Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:19:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: CDFW Conducts Successful Abalone Checkpoint on the Sonoma County Coast  (Read 1010 times)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
May 20, 2014

California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) officers contacted more than 650 abalone divers at a wildlife checkpoint operation north of Jenner on Sunday, May 18. Checkpoints are an effective tool for wardens, who seek to promote safety, education and compliance with law and regulations through education, preventative patrol and enforcement.

All vehicles traveling south on Highway 1 in Sonoma County were screened at the checkpoint. Screening consisted of an introduction and brief questions. Approximately 260 vehicles were directed into the inspection area. Wildlife officers issued 31 citations and several dozen warnings. Violations included overlimits of abalone, undersize abalone, report card violations and alterations, abalone not tagged, abalone meat out of the shell, undersized fish and several other Fish and Game Code violations.

One diver attempted to throw a tagged but undersized abalone into nearby bushes, but instead threw it into a warden's truck bed. The loud clanking alerted officers to the attempt.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

One diver attempted to throw a tagged but undersized abalone into nearby bushes, but instead threw it into a warden's truck bed. The loud clanking alerted officers to the attempt.

Hahahahahaha

Looooooooool

That's awesome
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007

Hahahahahaha

Looooooooool

That's awesome

The stupidity of some people never fails to amaze me...
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Yep I got corralled in also.I dont know maybe its just me but it seemed like the warden that was conducting my search was disappointed that I was all legal.the last question he ask me was"what you do with the abs from yesterday".so I calmly replied I ate one gave the other two away.I mean I could understand them asking that but with the 800 rule in place they should realize that cuts off alot of rock pickers.alot people that I know dont even pick for abs anymore so they ask me for it.I one of the few people that rarely fill up my tags anymore. Its usually no more than three trips.as we were leaving moat creek I told my buddy to leave his abs up top of his tote so if there's a check point well get out quickly. Yep 5minutes and we was on our way.two things that got my attention was I found a cluster of baby abs.never thought id be glad to see a bunch of 4-5" abs its a sight I havnt seen in many years.but at the same time as we were hiking back we saw an empty shell of an undersize with the meat fresh picked out of it.so im glad there out to keep everyone honest but id wish they keep in mind that not everyone is out to break the laws
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:49:32 PM by dune12 »
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Approximately 260 vehicles were directed into the inspection area. Wildlife officers issued 31 citations and several dozen warnings.

12% violation rate on vehicles stopped.  WTF!

-Allen

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Approximately 260 vehicles were directed into the inspection area. Wildlife officers issued 31 citations and several dozen warnings.

-Allen
Maybe, or maybe some vehicles got two or more citations!  I don't know if I would call this a "Success" - I think it would have been a greater success if they had absolutely zero violations and found everyone was fine and dandy.  Did they have abalone sniffing dogs?

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I hid mine on the bottom of a reef when I left Shelter Cove.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen
Maybe, or maybe some vehicles got two or more citations!  I don't know if I would call this a "Success" - I think it would have been a greater success if they had absolutely zero violations and found everyone was fine and dandy.  Did they have abalone sniffing dogs?

Still, it's 4.7% of the 650 divers checked.   And even more if you consider "several dozen warnings".

-Allen

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Sonoma county courts are not lenient when it comes to abalone infractions. 31 cites is too much. If like to see a list of the names and where they live.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Sonoma county courts are not lenient when it comes to abalone infractions. 31 cites is too much. If like to see a list of the names and where they live.

+1!

Way too many not in compliance!
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
In these types of operations, they are usually trying to find reasons to cite people...more so than during a regular encounter at the beach. I'm not making excuses for people who are not in compliance with the regs, but sometimes it ticky-tacky BS that they feel compelled to enforce (to justify the expense & effort of their roadside checkpoint). For example, about 20yrs ago...someone I know...got cited for "transporting abalone outside the shell" because he prepared the abs in the campground (Paul Dimmick on the Navarro) and didn't end up cooking it all...so he put the remaining few slices in a ziplock in the freezer of the RV. In my opinion, his mistake was being honest with the warden at the checkpoint. Lesson learned...either cook it all in camp or throw it away before driving home :-(   
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
In these types of operations, they are usually trying to find reasons to cite people...more so than during a regular encounter at the beach. I'm not making excuses for people who are not in compliance with the regs, but sometimes it ticky-tacky BS that they feel compelled to enforce (to justify the expense & effort of their roadside checkpoint). For example, about 20yrs ago...someone I know...got cited for "transporting abalone outside the shell" because he prepared the abs in the campground (Paul Dimmick on the Navarro) and didn't end up cooking it all...so he put the remaining few slices in a ziplock in the freezer of the RV. In my opinion, his mistake was being honest with the warden at the checkpoint. Lesson learned...either cook it all in camp or throw it away before driving home :-(   

Throwing it away is waste of a game animal, a violation. It was prepared for immediate consumption. That's the rule. It could be consumed immediately. The reg doesn't say that it has to be immediately consumed if it is out of the shell, just prepared for immediate consumption. I'm fighting that one all day long.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Mienboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
+1
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Mienboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Throwing it away is waste of a game animal, a violation. It was prepared for immediate consumption. That's the rule. It could be consumed immediately. The reg doesn't say that it has to be immediately consumed if it is out of the shell, just prepared for immediate consumption. I'm fighting that one all day long.
good luck fighting anything from cal wild.my friend got a littering ticket cause his emptys wasn't in a container of some sorts.he fought it 2000$ still lost tge case it was a 1200$ ticket.I ask him why he said it was the principle.he wasn't littering

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

good luck fighting anything from cal wild.my friend got a littering ticket cause his emptys wasn't in a container of some sorts.he fought it 2000$ still lost tge case it was a 1200$ ticket.I ask him why he said it was the principle.he wasn't littering

Luck has nothing to do with it. I have mad skills.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

anything