Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:53 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 PM]

[Today at 10:28:01 PM]

[Today at 09:35:28 PM]

[Today at 09:34:00 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rigging the Stealth Pro Fisha  (Read 8731 times)

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
This is what kinda gets me about these boats.  This seems like a like of MacGyver-ing around to have to do on an expensive boat.  I've been screwing around with old make-do kayaks for years, and this is what I don't want to have to do on a new, expensive boat.

I loved paddling the boat, so I guess it's a trade-off.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
 Every kayak takes a little customization. Don't let my macgiverin fool you. The boat comes ready to roll.  The four rod holders aft are plenty and work well. Get the ff lid and you don't need to drill anything. In fact, mounting everything on the lid made everything really easy. The bigger rod holders were only because the types of rods I use. 
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
This is what kinda gets me about these boats.  This seems like a like of MacGyver-ing around to have to do on an expensive boat.  I've been screwing around with old make-do kayaks for years, and this is what I don't want to have to do on a new, expensive boat.
You guys get me thinking about mods but after a year w the 575 I'm convinced the only thing to macgyver is one's personal habits For me the main thing is just getting used to having a trolling rod behind me, but a kayak actually tracks straighter w 2 1/2 lbs hanging behind than off the side

Other than a couple of minor details my 575 will probably remain original

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
You guys get me thinking about mods but after a year w the 575 I'm convinced the only thing to macgyver is one's personal habits For me the main thing is just getting used to having a trolling rod behind me, but a kayak actually tracks straighter w 2 1/2 lbs hanging behind than off the side

Other than a couple of minor details my 575 will probably remain original

Yeah, man. These things are sweet right out of the box. FF install would be anyboat, and that ff lid is sweet.

I like trolling with the rod in front but most guys catching marlin on these things have the rods behind. Also, the rudder works so well that you can't really tell the weight is hanging off the side rather than the back. The only necessary mod for me was the foot well guides. It was a tight fit with booties, but that was about as easy a fix as there is.

Really, Dave, don't overthink it. I do tinker too much on my motorcycle and kayak for my own good. The stealth's fish as well stock as any boat out there, with the bonus that all your gear can be stowed below deck= no yard sale.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:04:45 PM by wizz »
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Jeez Wizz I thought I had big feet, you must be sporting some boats

It is nice having the rod in front of you when a salmon hits but I haven't missed any of the fish that hit w it behind me so far

I don't even own a fishfinder and I bought one of those lids just in case down the road

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
These are the hard attachments I'm thinking about doing

Wondering if you did reinforcement there or what

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I used a stainless d ring attachment using the existing mounting bolts.
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I did not reinforce, but make sure the pilot hole is small and the screws have plenty of grab, the deck is pretty thick. but I like Rubens method as you can use existing holes to mount.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
but I like Rubens method as you can use existing holes to mount.
Agree that is a good approach

Might sound like it but I'm not against modifying, just reluctant as hell to get a drill bit next to one of my all time favorite material possessions

I had it out for a short jaunt Friday and was dying to take it in the surf but had to run home to prep for dinner guests

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I did not reinforce, but make sure the pilot hole is small and the screws have plenty of grab, the deck is pretty thick. but I like Rubens method as you can use existing holes to mount.

Are you opposed to using a folding river there for the seat straps? Still reluctant also to drill holes but the grab handle approximation to the seat straps on the Evo wont allow Rubens method without a large portion of strap from the backrest possibly interfering for re-entry.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

I've never used a ff but had them ship one w mine in case I go over to the dark side

Must agree........ but let me know when you join the "dark side".

I may need to buy a new toy that doesn't take up to much space, and they are getting cheaper and smaller.....also if you transgress then I will feel better about it  :smt001.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:53:29 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Anyone w any brains would use a ff, big advantage to know every time you're over bait

I may transgress soon, just need to shake my Luddite mindset

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
I may transgress soon, just need to shake my Luddite mindset

Paul, I resisted for years and then got one.  I was so mesmerized by it on the first day, watching the bottom, that I paddled right into a rock.  Don't do that with your fiberglass boat.  :smt003

I was a wrench throwing Luddite, but I got to say when mine's not working now I'm bummed.

When you think about it, Kayaks are a technological step up over paddling on a log with your hands, so you're already on the dark road.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Are you opposed to using a folding river there for the seat straps? Still reluctant also to drill holes but the grab handle approximation to the seat straps on the Evo wont allow Rubens method without a large portion of strap from the backrest possibly interfering for re-entry.

Don't see why that wouldn't work. I just did what I know.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
but I like Rubens method as you can use existing holes to mount.

Might sound like it but I'm not against modifying, just reluctant as hell to get a drill bit next to one of my all time favorite material possessions

Absofreakinlutely one of my all time favorite possessions. Just went 6 miles off shore chasing flatties today, will post a report tomorrow, but this boat makes it enjoyable rather than work to cover those kinds of miles. And the more I fish it, the more I abaoluty love the design. It fishes extremely well, and off lost probably 1/16 of the gear I lose in a normal year.