Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:01:58 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Landlord tried to collect the rent this morning!  (Read 6126 times)

Pozo FlyChucker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
Leffingwell launch at 0700 12-24-13.
  Myself and my brother in law paddle out, he is having a little trouble adjusting to sea kayaking with a little swell. He tells me they don't have any swell in Puget Sound.  He showed off his reentry skills twice, he has it down. I tell him we'll hang close (50') until/if he gets comfortable.
We fish a little bit, nothing but gophers. He tells me he is good to go and we can move out.
  We begin heading to deeper water and have passed through the paddies and are in 74' of water looking for some deeper kelp or structure.
I hear him ask me if I have a destination in mind. I am about 20' ahead of him so I turned around to answer him. When I looked back I hear a loud thump and see my kayak, my brother in law, and various items on the deck flying up into the air. All being pushed upward by about 3 1/2' of shark head. It was not a huge shark by any means, but when it launches a 6'4" guy 4-5' into the air with his kayak, its big enough.
  The reentry lessons have paid off, because he was back on top of the kayak before I finished turning around. He is shaken up but otherwise fine. I told him numerous times that morning, if he wasn't comfortable, let me know and we'll head in. While I am doing an inventory on limbs, I see the holes that are now in the bottom of my buddy kayak. This is the point he tells me.  I'm not comfortable anymore, I'd like to head back in. He wants me to gather up his tackle box and water bottle then rethinks his position (belly down on an upside down kayak in open water).
He transfers over onto my kayak, we flip the other over, pull up the tethered items and start for the beach. Fortunately we were more or less 1 mile out and just north of the landing. It was about a forty-five minute paddle back in. I was glad for once to be in the beast(a Fish and Dive). Quite a work out for sure, we had the beast maxxed out. Has any one ever tried to land an overloaded kayak in the surf with two big guys on board? It was low tide and the swell had dropped to 4' or less so the last reentry of the day was clean and except for the rubber legs and fatigue all went smooth. My kayak may be up for sale to cover my hospital bills since my sister in laws, three his sisters and one his wife may beat me violently about the head and face at dinner tonight. I was already looking for another kayak, now I have another reason. I don't have to look for another brother in law though so it is of course all good. I would trade a kayak, paddle, and some assorted tackle any day for a positive outcome to a scary situation like this. PS Ryan, you can take a dump on your kayak without making a mess of your kayak. Your shorts...another story indeed!

scubaluis

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
Glad you guys can joke about it now,
Merry X-Mas.
"If you can not laugh at yourself, make fun of other people"

Stealth Fisha 500
Jackson Kraken
Ocean Kayak
Hobie Adventure
Wilderness System Tandem

bwodun

Whoa, glad you guys are ok, talk about a Christmas miracle,  Cameron

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
And yet another name to add to the list, glad it worked out and kudos for keeping cool while somethings trying to eat you!
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Damn, scary shit!  Glad you and the bro-in-law came out of it okay.  We all accept the risk of running across the Landlord every time we choose to paddle on the big blue.
aMayesing Bros.

True

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Seems like the Landlord's been making all too frequent visits this year.

Much TOO frequent... Glad everyone was safe!

Fred "True" Trujillo

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
that's it I am buying a shark shields. I'll figure out how to get that electronic   whip wrapped around me without it getting tangled in the kelp.

Pozo FlyChucker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I was thinking two things initially. One " Did that really just happen?". Two "Get back there and figure out how to make the best of this".
I'm really glad I did not have to put my sweatshirt on a nasty wound and use my belt to keep it on there with pressure or worse add in my Boga grip for a tourniquet. The recent attack over in Maui got me thinking about what could be done on the water.
We got an early Christmas present indeed!

Big Buoy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Glad everyone is o.k. :smt009

WingShooter

• Sea Lion
  • I fish not to escape life but to live it.
  • View Profile Branson Baits
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Holy sheeeets meng! :smt104 Glad you guys are OK. You now know what to be thankful for at Christmas dinner.

~Mike
www.bransonbaits.com 

US Hobie Fishing Team Member
Lowrance Pro-Staff
EGO Pro-Staff
Lew's Pro-Staff
Diawa Pro-Staff

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
HOLEY CRAP!! Glad your brouther in law is OK, seems like the landlord wands a christmas present!
Glad you guys have good reentry skills for sure!!!
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Thanks for the report and glad you guys are OK.  What kind of yak is it that got munched?
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

MANBEARPIG

• Half Man, Half Bear, Half Pig: Im super cereal!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Glad you guys made it out!  Scary sheeeeet :smt009  :smt009
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison

Pozo FlyChucker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
My other kayak was a grey Cobra XL. It split along the transition to the flats and the scupper was half way turned inside out. Not including the bite hole.
Still hoping to see you on the water,
Scott

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Glad everyone is ok! 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

anything