Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Halibut fishing Bolinas bay?  (Read 3807 times)

• Better lucky than good.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
has anyone here gone out of Bolinas for halibut? I have seen reports go up about people catching halibut in SF bay but Bolinas is very close to the bay so i was wondering if that would be a decent place to go for them as well. has anyone launched out of Bolinas or had any luck in that area? just kind of exploring my options. I have been to Bolinas many times but just not in my yak yet so i am just trying to feel it out as far as the information that is out there by all you knowledgeable folk. if you have any input please send it my way i would appreciate it. thanks guys...
-Wet Behind The Ears-

Wilderness Systems Ride 135

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

"It’s not whether you get knocked down; It’s whether you get back up.” - Vince Lombardi

• View Profile
in the same breath i am also asking about Duxbury Reef and if anyone has fished that to any notable success (rockfish, ling...)
-Wet Behind The Ears-

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

"It’s not whether you get knocked down; It’s whether you get back up.” - Vince Lombardi

Kmilz

• Salmon
  • Miles- WS Tarpon 140
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Ive heard people talk about the dux on here. But i never knew what they were talking about. I would like to know some more info about the dux too.

• View Profile
you can see it on google maps it is pretty prominent and noticeable. my step-dad surfs there regularly and i have fished from the beach but never had the opportunity to fish that. i think i might try it this week. the forecast out there until Friday looks really nice... anyone interested? i am quick to throw a vacation day on my schedule and take off if anyone wants to head out there with me... just have to figure out a day...
not to mention i am about to take my "baby bonding time" allotted to me by the state lol i already told the wife that i will be fishing a majority of the time since the baby is 3 months old and she doesn't really even need my help. taken during the peak time of salmon season here in Sacramento.... that must have been a coincidence ...  :smt003
-Wet Behind The Ears-

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
A bunch of years ago a friend and I caught a halibut from a canoe after launching from Seadrift @ Stinson.  Also caught them while trolling for Salmon near the reef I think you are talking about (off the point?), but I think that reef is an MPA now.  Halibut in the bay, i.e. off Stinson is a definite possibility!

• View Profile
so you cannot fish that reef to the north west of bolinas bay? just verifying...
-Wet Behind The Ears-

• View Profile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duxbury_Reef_State_Marine_Conservation_Area

Wikipedia is NOT CA DFG (or whatever they call themselves these days), but I would assume this is accurate, and informative.

• View Profile
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/images/mpamaps/duxburyreef.jpg

This is a little more helpful without the political undertones  :smt003  Looks like there would still be lots of good area to fish.  Anyone have more detail/advice on fishing this area, as I'd be interested also.  I launched from Bolinas and went to the buoy with Gabe last year and it kicked my ass, especially getting back.  I'd like to fish a little closer to shore from this spot.

• View Profile
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/images/mpamaps/duxburyreef.jpg

This is a little more helpful without the political undertones  :smt003  Looks like there would still be lots of good area to fish.  Anyone have more detail/advice on fishing this area, as I'd be interested also.  I launched from Bolinas and went to the buoy with Gabe last year and it kicked my ass, especially getting back.  I'd like to fish a little closer to shore from this spot.
the part/area that i am looking at is shown on that topo map as well it isnt highlighted so i assume it would be ok to try it out. it is that section that you see jutting off to the south east (from the orientation of the map) it looks like a string of rocks that may be fishable. it is also easily seen on google Earth. i attached a PDF it is the rocking features jutting off the coast (bviously) that is the area in which i am concerned about.
-Wet Behind The Ears-

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
There's Hallie just outside the breakers along the flats at bolinas. If you have chart you can see the little rock piles, we tend to drift around that area

• View Profile
Thanks Steve.  Also, you don't need to go all the way to the buoy to get Salmon, do you?  Are they caught in closer, say 1/2 way to the Dux buoy? 

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Not usually, sometimes they push bait in against stinson, but not that often. Wandering back and firth across the reef works, so that's short of the buoy

• View Profile
There's Hallie just outside the breakers along the flats at bolinas. If you have chart you can see the little rock piles, we tend to drift around that area
that's what im talking about right there. that is some info that i needed...
-Wet Behind The Ears-

anything