Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:12:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:57:00 AM]

[Today at 07:27:17 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:09:25 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crab hawk modification question  (Read 9274 times)

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
GB2 I got an old Okuma Rod hooked up to a Jigmaster that would do the trick fine.

Thanks for the PVC tip, I will have to pick one up on the way home tonight.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I would put the rings on opposite corners so when the trap closes, the rings are offset from each other.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

PescaDONo

• Salmon
  • View Profile Timber Cove 3 day weather forecast - trihourly
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
My understanding is that DFG regs define a trap as something that surrounds the crab so it can't escape. That's why hoops and snares are treated differently.

I don't see why they can't define exceptions.

Crab hawks really work. I've put two pots down, used the Crab Hawk while I've waited and had the Hawk out crab my two pots. They can crawl out so you've got to get em up and in the yak fast. Then all hell breaks loose. One always runs for the bow while the other goes for my crotch.
 :smt107

One nice thing about the Hawk is that you can tell as soon as you lift it if you've got a crab or not.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
 ~Roderick Haig-Brown, about modern fishing, A River Never Sleeps, 1946

Link to Timber Cove 3 day, tri-hourly weather
Lawson's Landing Fishing Report- Tomales Bay

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Why use a Crabhawk instead of a trap or a ring?  Easy!  It would be totally cool to head out rockfishing and drop a cople 'hawks over board to check every once in a while, vs having to carry the trap/hoop/ring out there too.   :smt002  If they ever do get the regulation worked out, i'm pretty sure i'll buy a couple of them for fun  :smt004
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

PescaDONo

• Salmon
  • View Profile Timber Cove 3 day weather forecast - trihourly
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
I'd love to have a couple on a buoy system where the line could pass through the buoy. Paddle up, connect to line, reel in a little, no crab = put it back down, disconnect, go to next one.

Hawks are great for scouting around for a better place to drop pots too.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
 ~Roderick Haig-Brown, about modern fishing, A River Never Sleeps, 1946

Link to Timber Cove 3 day, tri-hourly weather
Lawson's Landing Fishing Report- Tomales Bay

Dan V

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I've got a couple that I bought in Oregon and have used in both OR and CA and I'm not believing they are illegal to use without a escape ring (2) as they are not a fixed trap . I need to see an official announcement from F&G , not some biologist's or outdoor writer's opinion !

As far as usage , I can't catch a thing with a snare but the crab hawk comes up so loaded a 4/0 Penn is needed to winch them in , works real well on large jetties where rings continually snag .

Wanna b NCKA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Question: Is the Crab Hawk legal for use in California during open crabbing season? The ads say it is not a trap, and because it opens, crabs would not be damaged should they need to be released. Please clarify this for me and cite the appropriate section in the event you determine it is illegal. (Dennis J.)

Answer: The Crab Hawk traps are indeed traps and are not legal as sold because California state law requires traps to possess escape rings.

According to Department of Fish and Game Lt. Dennis McKiver, crab traps are required to have at least two rigid circular openings of not less than four and one-quarter inches inside diameter so constructed that the lowest portion of each opening is no lower than five inches from the top of the trap (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 29.80(c)).

Traps that are not specifically provided for in this section may not be used for crabs or other invertebrates. The Crab Hawk trap is not specifically provided for, nor does it meet standards for crab traps in California, so it is not legal to use in the state.

This didn't come out of the DFG regulation book ,but i don't think i will try to use them.

Dan V

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
According to crabhawks web site , it is a catcher , not a trap or snare ! What's the skinny on taking crabs by hand while diving or otherwise ? Also , star traps have been in use for at least 60 years and never were an issue ,  having spring loaded hinges to lay the trap open when not being retrieved and also no escape rings . Lot of gray areas here , DFG needs to clarify .

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
DFG needs to clarify .

http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2012/03/22/crab-hawk-traps-2/

DFG official Q&A blog by Carrie Wilson

No further clarification needed.  They are not legal to use stock.  As for whether you could modify it, I'm not sure if I would try.

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Crab hawks are a blast!  I used to drop my pots - then the crab hawks.  The crab hawks had a little bouy on them - as you pulled up you could see little ripples around the buoy and you knew there was a crab-on  :smt044

Frustrating DFG considers them illegal.  Rings are so the little guys can escape an enclosure.  Crab hawks are not an enclosure.  Despite what trap you're using - we pull them up, measure and toss the little ones back.  DFG rationale is wrong; albeit I can appreciate they must adhere to what's written.  Until there are guidelines for the crab hawk their position won't change.

That said, I say put some rings on the hawks.  If you get cited - go to court - tell them DFG said they were illegal since they didn't have rings - so you put in rings. 
Kenny

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006

That said, I say put some rings on the hawks.  If you get cited - go to court - tell them DFG said they were illegal since they didn't have rings - so you put in rings.

+1 on that. Just bought one so I can add some rings and test the political waters. When you take a step back and look at the impact on the ecosystem, seriously, a bunch of dudes on a jetty with crab hawks are insignificant.  :smt005 I think we should have a crab hawk tourney.  :smt006
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I second the Crab Hawk Tourney!  I have drill this weekend, so no mods for me till next week.  GB2 if you get it done please post a pic so Ican see how you laid it out.  The 5 inch thing has me slightly confused.  I would like to see how you interpet that.  Is that 5 inches from the top of the trap?
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Went one step farther and called The # on Crab hawks web site.... He (owner) picked up the phone and we had a discussion about the hawk. The problem is NOT with the design or lack of rings on it. It is the lack of VERBIAGE IN THE REGS that makes it not legal! :smt013 !!!! Anyone in the group know anyone that could help in that area..... I like the product and it is better than the snares that tear legs off the crabs.He may post here with more info shortly.... (they have a coool clamming tool too!!!) Would be great to see it legal to use it for crab fest while soaking pots...
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
The problem is NOT with the design or lack of rings on it. It is the lack of VERBIAGE IN THE REGS that makes it not legal! :smt013 !!!!
The product is a trap once it is closed.  therefore it needs rings. if he wants CA to change their regulations to fit his product, that's his responsibility as the owner of the business. 

I always lean towards skepticism when you're talking to the guy who the regulations effect.  He might say his product is only not legal because its not covered in the regs, but that's his personal opinion as the business owner, not as an attorney versed in F&G law. 

I am not at all implying that the CA law is correct here, but its the law.  If its not a "trap", then the business owner needs to find a way to get it defined as something other than a trap. 

If he wanted his product to be CA legal, he could probably design a version that is CA legal. 

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
sorry..have to do this