Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 10:09:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:27:50 AM]

[Today at 09:03:30 AM]

[Today at 08:36:32 AM]

[Today at 06:36:24 AM]

[Today at 06:24:37 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 09:45:01 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 01:14:38 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 10:18:45 AM]

by Clb
[May 15, 2024, 08:47:12 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:16:45 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:06:54 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 07:51:28 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 06:29:49 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 04:58:26 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:06:14 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:16:35 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Things to look for in a used AI ??????  (Read 3342 times)

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I want to make the leap to an AI for this next season.  I'm starting my looking NOW so that I can make an informed decision when looking for a used model.  Are there significant changes over the years that I should be aware of or cautious about?  Certain quirks to look for?  My goal is an AI, sail kit, riggers, tramps, etc...  Go big or go home!  I've seen some listed with version 1 rigger mounts, version 2 rigger mounts, etc...   Thoughts, constructive comments, etc...??????

Thanks!

~Bill :smt006

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Remove the Aka bars and look for corrosion of the bottom of the aka bars and cracking of the hull underneath the aka bars. In 2011 the hull was strengthened and the aka bars were changed. Also, check the hull # to confirm the manufacture date. Check the sail and stitching. Make sure the blocks roll smoothly. if you search the Hobie site there are some posts with pics of some of the problems.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I am sure ChuckE will chime in. I think half way into 2010 they went from the twist and stow to the big a$$ shark fin rudder. I haven't used the twist and stow on an AI but I had one on my Revo and I did find over time the lines got loose and on occasion I would have to deploy and retract it a few times to get it to engage. Not sure if that will be the same with the shark fin...Only time will tell.

I haven't see any threads on the Hobie forum about any major or old vs new design issues. It's an Adventure hull and that hull has been vetted pretty well. I can say I have been happy with the "amish tramps" (you can find them on ebay). They are about 1/2 the cost of the hobie ones but they are constructed a bit differently. You also should invest in some of Pat R's rod holders and FF mount. They are incredible and worth 2X the price. Beyond the cost I'd say the weight of the boat is a factor. Loading and unloading can be a two man job (depending on your car).

Again, others will chime in that may be better educated.
-Eric Berg

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
2011 Hull strengthened and V2 aka bars.
2012 shark fin rudder.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
If you find one with an upgraded shark rudder fin, open the rear hatch and check out the how the rudder lines were installed.  Make sure its a clean job.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Thanks for the info.  Found an '09 for sale w/ freshwater use only.  Trying to research what "resale" value is vs. options on one of these.  Like everything, it's worth what someone will pay ... I know!  I appreciate any/all feedback regarding what to look for & stay away from.

Thanks!

~Bill :smt006

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
...I'm keeping my eyes out for a used/demo/display model in case anyone happens to see one out there!  Willing to drive a few hours if needed.  If anyone is thinking about upgrading or switching their AI and considering selling, please drop me a line!

Thanks!

~Bill

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
...I'm keeping my eyes out for a used/demo/display model in case anyone happens to see one out there!  Willing to drive a few hours if needed.  If anyone is thinking about upgrading or switching their AI and considering selling, please drop me a line!

Thanks!

~Bill

Bill,

When I did my search a few months back Kayak Connection SC (actually) it was the Moss location. Had one. I can look for my notes at home. The 2013 just came out (are are soon) so the 2012 are limited but I am guessing the shops will be looking to deal. PM me if you want more of the info/deals I found.
-Eric Berg

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Eric,

Might drop by the Kayak Connection in Moss Landing tonight on my way home.  I'm only a short drive from there.  Bought both my Wilderness Systems in Moss Landing.

Thanks!

Bill

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Just talked with Kayak Connection.  They have a 2011 on clearance for around the $3200 mark w/o riggers & sail kit.  Doesn't quite add up in my mind .... :smt012

Dumb questions but I will ask anyways.  When one orders an AI, it includes the outriggers & sail kit, correct?  I have a feeling the person who helped me wasn't familiar with what is included or I am lost in regards to this kayak.  Maybe both :smt005
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:17:07 PM by FishingForTheCure »

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Just talked with Kayak Connection.  They have a 2011 on clearance for around the $3200 mark w/o riggers & sail kit.  Doesn't quite add up in my mind .... :smt012

That doesnt make any sense. A new AI is 3900 so 3200 is almost 20% off so I am thinking it includes the sail kit. That is a good buy since the 2011 has the V2 aka bars and strengthened hull. I would ask for the full 20% which is 3100. Ask for the shark fin upgrade which hobie sent to all 2011 owners for free I believe. If you can get a 2011 for 3100 or less, I would take it.

Used 2010 or older AI's run 2400-2900
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:23:55 PM by Great Bass 2 »

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Scott,

Thanks for the input.  Was hoping to have found a good, used model in the 2k ballpark.  May have to see how my sales go this holiday season before I plop out 3k for a 2 year old yak (granted it is still new).  My guess is the same, should be with all the access for that kind of money.  They were asking $1800 for an Adventure which she said all the "extras" [outriggers, sail, etc...] would bolt onto it.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Dumb questions but I will ask anyways.  When one orders an AI, it includes the outriggers & sail kit, correct?  I have a feeling the person who helped me wasn't familiar with what is included or I am lost in regards to this kayak.  Maybe both :smt005

yeah that doesn't make sense. When I called they didn't seem to be that "on top" of the AI/Hobie details. I would do a drive by (as you suggested). The lack of riggers and sail makes NO sense. That makes its an Adventure.....
-Eric Berg

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I'm fairly certain that the AI (which she read to me as Island Adventure according to their sales sheet) includes all the goodies for $3200'ish.  The Adventure for $1800 makes sence w/o any goodies.  The one they have left is in Santa Cruz so I might be better off going there to check it out.  May have to keep cruising C.L. for one in the meantime.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm fairly certain that the AI (which she read to me as Island Adventure according to their sales sheet) includes all the goodies for $3200'ish.  The Adventure for $1800 makes sence w/o any goodies.  The one they have left is in Santa Cruz so I might be better off going there to check it out.  May have to keep cruising C.L. for one in the meantime.

makes sense. as scott said press them for the upgraded rudder (assuming its compatible) and see if you can get it out the door for 3200. I don't think you are going to find one in the $2K in a shop (maybe on CL but that still may be a long shot. You may find a cheap Adv and then get the island accessories but that's another kettle of fish
-Eric Berg

anything