Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Methods of hold down for Plano box in T13  (Read 8856 times)

MikeinFresno

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
Trying to figure out how to securely hold the box in so it wont come off in a roll over. Ive seen a pic here for using hooks on the box and the stock bungee, seems I saw putting eyes on the ends and using a clip of some sort too, but cant find that pic again. What do you do?

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
a pad eye on each side of the plano box about 2/3 of the way up and use clips (carabiner or similar) to attach it the the bungee pad eye. 
-Eric Berg

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
a pad eye on each side of the plano box about 2/3 of the way up and use clips (carabiner or similar) to attach it the the bungee pad eye.

I'll add my experience. I put 4 PVC tubes on the back of the plano as rod/net holders. In bouncy conditions, the weight of the rods would cause the box to flip over, rotating on the two side clips. I had to add two padeyes to the back deck of my T140 to stabilize it. It is rock solid now though, even with 4 seabass rods on it. I used brass clips.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I'll add my experience. I put 4 PVC tubes on the back of the plano as rod/net holders. In bouncy conditions, the weight of the rods would cause the box to flip over, rotating on the two side clips. I had to add two padeyes to the back deck of my T140 to stabilize it. It is rock solid now though, even with 4 seabass rods on it. I used brass clips.

the T13 has a plano designed spot for the box. not sure tipping will be an issue. but for sure with other boats. I had some similar issues when i used it on the revo
-Eric Berg

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
A bungee won't hold it in place in a surf rollover. Use double brass clips one on each side.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
I'll post a picture of mine when I get home from work tonight.
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile

the T13 has a plano designed spot for the box. not sure tipping will be an issue. but for sure with other boats. I had some similar issues when i used it on the revo

Yeah, the tarpon i have is totally flat in the tankwell. If there was a recess for the box then it wouldn't flip. yet another way my yak is showing its age :smt003
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Yeah, the tarpon i have is totally flat in the tankwell. If there was a recess for the box then it wouldn't flip. yet another way my yak is showing its age :smt003

but its got STYLE and MOJO!
-Eric Berg

MikeinFresno

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thx guys, i used the clip method to pad eyes, wiggles a little but wont come out in a roll over.

Fishbucket

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I used these in each corner of the box with a bungee threaded thru.

Utilized the clips I had gotten from somewhere else...

Works pretty good. A little bit of trouble getting the clip off the pad eye on my T-15.... But it will not come out ina roll-over,  full of gear and 3 rods in the holders  :smt003
- Joe

CrawFish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
When I first started this madness I read on here from someone that you should be able to lift your boat by your box/crate/bucket and not have it  move much. After learning first hand that sagging gear in a surf yard sale is a huge PITA (and dangerous)I took that advice and ditched my bungies.  I use the Plano with the one handed clips and crabbing I use a crate with a five gallon bucket inside all tightly clipped. Bucket has tight lid with tether for the trips back in thru the surf. Don't laugh, it has saved my dinner a few times, OK, maybe I suck at surf landings but shit happens to us all.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
When I first started this madness I read on here from someone that you should be able to lift your boat by your box/crate/bucket and not have it  move much.

that's awesome, I love it.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"

MikeinFresno

• Salmon
  • View Profile
now Im on to figure out my crate or other way to carry the other stuff

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I think we need pix on this thread.  I'd add some of my own, but admit I don't secure my plano.

I think I better start doing it though, so mas pix appreciado!

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
I think we need pix on this thread. 

Here are a couple pictures of my plano box setups-

Two setups
1st - Without space behind the seat
2nd- Space behind the seat for anchor rope

Last picture is the type of clip I used- (Lowes carries them for about $2.50 ea.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:20:09 PM by Abdiver »
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

anything