Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 03:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:21:31 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:00:47 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:50:56 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:21:59 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 09:10:35 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:03:37 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:34:21 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 02:42:39 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Preparing to die at Bean Hollow  (Read 23146 times)

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Please ask yourself this before you go out. Then make the wise choice.
I was there for my first Real_ yakfish&jig when Dan got hit.(see pic 1)
I was there when it came up to Ben.
I was there when it circled and followed Sean.
I have heard of 6 other sightings/what the fuck was thats!?!

crunch the numbers......in 12 months of "opened season" there + 9 encounters that I know of = Shark Infestation

.........so if you plan to go there this season, please ask yourself one question.
Are You Prepared To Die?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:45:37 AM by FisHunter »
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Thanks for posting, Adam. I won't go out there anymore unless I'm with a group of 3 or 4 at least.
I can't believe I've fished there alone - never again!
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
No thanks, I'll stick to bass fishing!

bwodun

good reality check adam, its alot different when you see the numbers like that, but it is a part of what we do, no matter the place, so it always should be asked when hitting the salt, whether it be sharks, wx, or any other factor that we can not concieve or plan for, lets be safe out there, there are people who want to see us at the end of the day, cameron

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I poured out a beer before I launched there the last time.

I would not fish there alone. I might not fish there even with a group. Kinda on the fence still, but I would certainly go if a certain someone was gonna go....

With a few new spots to try out elsewhere, BH just doesn't hold the allure for me that it once did. We'll see...standby...
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
good reality check adam, its alot different when you see the numbers like that, but it is a part of what we do, no matter the place, so it always should be asked when hitting the salt, whether it be sharks, wx, or any other factor that we can not concieve or plan for, lets be safe out there, there are people who want to see us at the end of the day, cameron

I agree cam....I've only fished BH once, and may or may not ever go again in a group, but recognize the different dangers that face me everytime I go out in the ocean and they flash through my mind when I kiss my wife and daughter goodbye on my way out in the morning...

Thanks for sharing Adam.

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Thanks for posting this and reminding people of the increased risks of Bean. Fishing was great there for a newb like me last year, but I'm not sure I'd ever fish there again on a yak (even with the added protection of 2 big outriggers and sharkshield).  There was talk of a resident patrolling the area and Freddie reminded me of this yesterday.

Maybe if I were single with no responsibilities?!  I wouldn't want to put my wife through the pain of an encounter so it's party boat or bust if I want to fish anywhere close to there.
hobie24 hobie08 rip

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
No thanks, I'll stick to bass fishing!

Man I don't know what worse getting bit by a shark or bass fishing?   :smt044

I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
The ocean and it's denizens don't care whether you fish from a kayak or an Alaskan crab boat. When you leave the beach/landing you are moving into a place where you are no longer on the top of the food chain or in full control. I don't want to sound philosophical, but this is something that people have been dealing with since the first boat was pushed into the water.

When you go out you are at risk. Not just from the creatures, but from the very environment itself. We are not at home on the water, and that should give anyone pause. Like everything else in life there is a risk involved in what we do, if you can't accept it don't go out.

That being said, I'm not fishing alone there!

Santa Cruz Raptor SoT - sold
Hobie Outback - sold
Native Watercraft Slayer 13

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006

I poured out a beer before I launched there the last time.

I would not fish there alone. I might not fish there even with a group. Kinda on the fence still, but I would certainly go if a certain someone was gonna go....

With a few new spots to try out elsewhere, BH just doesn't hold the allure for me that it once did. We'll see...standby...
i HAVE TO go at least once,,,but it aint gonna be no faulking party hook up. I may get out there and have a complete panic attack and never fish again. I WILL be scared and I WILL cry like a baby. 

Thanks for posting, Adam. I won't go out there anymore unless I'm with a group of 3 or 4 at least.
I can't believe I've fished there alone - never again!
me either,,,,,and when I do get out there, it will be a tight group in a Star formation.

I agree cam....I've only fished BH once, and may or may not ever go again in a group, but recognize the different dangers that face me everytime I go out in the ocean and they flash through my mind when I kiss my wife and daughter goodbye on my way out in the morning...

Thanks for sharing Adam.

Sincerely,

Jim
Fishing the Ocean or anywhere we do, we put our safety on the line, jumping into a piece of thin plastic and thinking we are safe.
 Fishing Bean? you gotta factor all that and the 18ft, 4,000lb BeanOversee'er!!!  and there aint no preparing for that, other than TOTAL AVOIDENCE.

a wiseman once said:
Thanks for posting this and reminding people of the increased risks of Bean. Fishing was great there for a newb like me last year, but I'm not sure I'd ever fish there again on a yak (even with the added protection of 2 big outriggers and sharkshield).  There was talk of a resident patrolling the area and Freddie reminded me of this yesterday.

Maybe if I were single with no responsibilities?!  I wouldn't want to put my wife through the pain of an encounter so it's party boat or bust if I want to fish anywhere close to there.

Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Let me know if you wanna use my ai - not sure if you'd feel the same, but I'm more comfortable with tramps by my side.  :smt003
hobie24 hobie08 rip

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Thanks for posting this Adam, Just makes us realize the danger we face everytime we go out there, I love BH this is where I learned pretty much everything, I never go out by myself anywhere in the Ocean, I have a simple philosophy in life, if its your its your time, whether your inside or outside your house, I saw my Father passed away in front of me while having lunch, I've witness an accident that no one could have survived but all passengers came out unscratched, I've heard of people die in asleep, so I realized everyday could be our time, why not live it to its fullest with no regrets, Like BigJim said, I kissed my family Goodbye and tell them I love them all the time, I even say it before I go to sleep...just in case I wont wake up, we all have responsibilities all we got to do is prepare them if anything happen. knock on woods...
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

J-Brew-Dog

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
So no Hobie pedal love out there? 

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Thanks Fishunter...

Your doing the right thing by posting the small but significant scientific study that ncka members have done here...

The statistics are off the chart that this place is The Landlords Home and were very lucky that we have not lost anyone...

Bean Hollow is Officially off my list, had my fun there, but the odds are just to great for the reward of fish tacos...

and Adam if you must go, which I understand, you are welcome to my Shark Shield...
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

J-Brew-Dog

• Sand Dab