Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Finished Pimping my Trident 13  (Read 17044 times)

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I have finally finished pimping out my Trident 13. I cannot take all the credit because I took a lot of the ideas from the masters SBD, GreatBass2 and KzReelRods so thanks guy for paving the road for me. From bow to stern, I utilized the battery bag in the bow.  I will be using the 10AAs battery system. I used small electrical stick-up to hide the wires from the FF to the battery bag also neatly wrapped up the transducer wire keeping it up and out of the way from incoming rods. Moving down to the cockpit area, I installed a Humminbird 565 with the thru the hull transducer and two small Scotty flush mounts next to the rod-pod.  I decided to go with the Ram Rod pole holder up front, you can fine tune it to any where you want. I had to buy a ram ball adapter for the Scotty mounts.  You are probable wondering why I did not just go for the ram rod mounts? The reason is I have Scotty rod holders for my fly rod and another one I use for sturgeon fishing.

To the back of the yac.
For my tackle box I mounted three rod tubes onto a piece of 3/16 ABS plastic had to custom fit it to fit into the Tridents storage area, looks clean and gave me three more places to store rods for on the go paddling. 

For the flush mounts rod holders that came with the kayak, I was going to replace them with the large Scotty flush mounts but thought they would come in handy for Halibut and rock fishing, so decided to go with gimble mounts which I got from GreatBass2.  I had to do some modifications;  I replaced the heavy steel 1” shafts with 1” aluminum and made them as short as possible, then I added some O-rings to take up some of the slop, also leashed them just in case. I will be using the gimble mounts with the Scotty rodmaster II mainly for trolling. My next problem, where to mount the downrigger, which I use for trout trolling.  I tried to put it in the gimble mounts, but did not like the way they stuck up.  I  kept hitting my elbow on it when I paddled, so that was no good. Ocean Kayak provided two flat spots in the back which I installed two Scotty flush mounts #244 w/sealed bottoms. The downrigger fit real nice and I still can reach it with no problem. Well that’s about it I am very happy with the way she came together :smt007

1. Transducer wire
2. Front Flush Mounts
3. Fish Finder Humminbird 565 w/thru the hull transducer
4. Fish Finder
5. Tackle Box Rod Tubes
6. Gimbal Mounts Rod Holders
7. Rear Flush Mounts
8. Downrigger

Pat R 

• made in USA
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
love it pat, have a couple of questions though who did you get your transducer from, and where did you get the scotty down rigger. i order some of the mini flush mount to, and a fish finder, i ended up with a HUMMINBIRD PIRANHAMAX 240 got it for a good price.
like a one legged duck always going in circles
stormtrooper-i was there and survived
paradise butt hunt- 1st place
2nd place yakhopper's delta striper event
storm trooper 2-11 H.O.W.
2nd place yakhoppers new hogan striper event
2ND anual mooch invitational

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Nice job Pat, looks sweet.  What type of set-up did you use for running the power and trans lines thru the hull into the sonar shield area?  Thanks - John

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Great job on the kayak Pat. Very clean too. Thanks for sharing your t13 set up.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

Slammer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
Strong work my friend.

Lots of options to use.

Very clean.

S.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Looks really nice Pat.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Very clean Pat,
The pic's gave me some new ideas.
Thanks,
Eric
Hobie Outback (dune)

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I love your set up Pat! :smt007 So many options for fishing lots of different ways. The Plano box also came out great. You got all the rod holders in there nicely. Also got to love the Gorilla Pod!

I cannot take all the credit because I took a lot of the ideas from the masters SBD, GreatBass2 and KzReelRods so thanks guy for paving the road for me.

I know how you feel. Nuff respect to the OG's. :notworthy:

and where did you get the scotty down rigger?
The best price I've found by far is at a marine store in my neck of the woods LFS Marine @ $54.50. I think with shipping it still may be cheaper than other stores in the bay. It is a small store so probably won't get anywhere with lightning speed but if you want about $20 off retail it's not a bad deal.
http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=119

Z
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:49:44 AM by Zee »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Nice work!  What did you use to fasten the rear scotty holders, the one that the downrigger is in?

-Allen

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
...and how do you put it out???  I am sure you thought it through, I just can't get it.  Having it that far back with a rudder would make salmon trolling (remember those days?) a whole new experience.

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks guys for the positive feed back.

stormscramble this is where I perched the transducer a bit pricey http://store.humminbird.com/humminbird-products/transducers/piranhamax/xth-9-20-p-plastic-thru-hull-transducer/prod710167-1.html  as for the downrigger goes looks like ZEE has found the best deal.

Allen I used rivets I perched from Hook 1 and goop.

SBD I did play around with it in the garage for a couple of days be for drilling the holes for the mounts and got to test it on the water last Sunday at Del valle and it worked just great. It looks like its way back there but I can reach it just fine. How I let it out, I put the rod in the holder and free spool my reel for the distance you want, stop the reel then take the rod out grab the line and put the rod back in the holder then grab the downrigger clip hook it up and let her down I can get about seven turn on the downrigger before I have to pull out more line to go deeper. It sounds like a big ordeal but its not. It definitely not as user-friendly as what I had on my 160i but Ocean Kayaks have less space behind the seats then the wilderness systems but I am sure I will get use to it.

Pat R   

• made in USA
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
wow those are expensive :smt013 and of course the one for the max240 i bought is 120$ :smt009 i am going to do some thing else.
like a one legged duck always going in circles
stormtrooper-i was there and survived
paradise butt hunt- 1st place
2nd place yakhopper's delta striper event
storm trooper 2-11 H.O.W.
2nd place yakhoppers new hogan striper event
2ND anual mooch invitational

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Allen I used rivets I perched from Hook 1 and goop.

Regular rivets or the ones that flair out.  I thought about putting my DR there and even thought it was pretty do-able from a reach point of view.  But didn't know how much I trusted those rivets, so I'm looking forward to hearing how it holds up for you.

-Allen

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Allen they where the ones that flair out also gooped then up pretty good will let you know if I have any problem with them.  I only run a two pound ball on my downrigger and the boom is facing forword not strait out I thought this would be a bet stronger.

Pat R

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Pat-does your Abu have a clicker?  If you had one it sounds like you could just leave it in free spool and pay it out with the downrigger just like on a real boat.

anything