Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:49:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: a tld handle upgrade  (Read 6709 times)

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
just finished working on a pair of tld 15's. i installed a greased cabon fiber drag, re-shimmed the belleville's to get 16#'s of drag at strike, and sat back to admire my work. you see two stock handles that were cut off, then one of pete kolekar's original grip, and two of pete's new tapered grips. this new handle really improves the performance of the reel. how do you guys like it?

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
looks like a red x.  could you put a carbon fiber drag on a real equiped with a chesey metal drag.  its A Pinicle 9 bering. I like the reel but hate the drag.  I understand if you cant cause its an off brand.  it looks kinda like a calcuta.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
I fixed the picture for ya Alan!  :smt003

Anonymous

bill, thank you!

golden arrow, typically what i do is hand cut a carbon fiber drag to fit.  i have a seminar on the 20th of january in san jose, but it's a long drive for you.  if you want to ship it up to me, send me an e-mail.  alan

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Alan, I like it!  I'm a big fan of the larger reel handles.  Have you done anything to improve the castability of the TLD15.  I never did like that real much for casting, at least compared to the other reels that I reach for first.

Did I see somewhere that you had an drag upgrade for an Ambassadeur 6500?

I also have a ProGear 255 that need new drags.  I had you do a 251 for me once, that is now a sweet reel ... greased carbon fiber drags and a penn power handle.  I'd like the same thing done to the 255.

How are Penn 209's.  I got 3 sitting here in my garage up in Seattle.  The reels of my youth ... I caught many salmon on those things growing up.  They are in need of major love.  I figure they'd make some nice kayak reels as I don't mind abusing/losing them.

I'll be back in down there next week, hoping to hit your reel seminar  with a bag of reels.

-Allen

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
here's a good example of someone asking what time it is, and someone else answering by explaining how to make a clock!

allen, the tld 15 casts ok for its size.  that's actually the key.  lots of reel companies will say that their reel casts easier than someone else's, and it BS.  first, you need decent bearings.  abec 5's work the best overall.  the lower quality abec 3's work ok in larger reels because no one can cast those worth beans anyway.  abec 7's are too much of a good think because they have tolerances that are too tight.  

so let's say that everyone uses properly lubed abec 5 bearings.  what's next?????  it's total spool mass.  that is the main determining factor.  ok, everyone repeat this.....   total spool mass is the main factor that determins how far you can cast.    

what about spool dimensions?  well, too wide or too tall are obviously bad.  i'm sure there is a "bell curve" that someone could make to describe casting distance as a function of width versus height.  personally, i'll just stick with spools that are more squared off, same width and height.  

the answers to all the rest of your questions is "yes!"  see you on thursday.  alan

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
I went to Alan's last seminar and we fixed up my 5500AB real nice. We removed the AB crap and put in new drag washers. The ABU's generally have crappy drag that is very jerky. Now it is as smooth as silk, night and day. I am bringing my brand new 6600 Thursday to do the same.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Ey Alan - do we have to reserve a spot or pay for the reel seminar?

Do we bring tools?

and more importantly...is Lunch on you  :smt003  or do we bring our own?

jdyak

• Salmon
  • Joel fishing Linda Mar Creek 06
  • View Profile
Alan..

I have a Shimano TLD 15 and also a Calcutta 400 that  I want to give a tune up.  What should I bring to the seminar on thursday.

Also where can I buy one of pete's new tapered grips? (are they for sale?)

Thanks,

John
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.  - Herculites -
2006 NCKA BAM 1st place Catfish Winner

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
all you have to do is just show up with your reels and money to cover the cost of parts.  i have lots of tools and all the parts you might need.  there's a chinese place next door, a mcdonald's just past that and a couple of more restaurants across the street.  i usually don't have time to eat.  that's ok, though.  i still need to shed a few christmas pounds.

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: jdyak
Alan..

I have a Shimano TLD 15 and also a Calcutta 400 that  I want to give a tune up.  What should I bring to the seminar on thursday.

Also where can I buy one of pete's new tapered grips? (are they for sale?)

Thanks,

John

oh, sorry, john.  the only handles left are pete's full-sized handle.  i have lot's of those.