Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:27:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shark attack on surfer at Marina State Beach 8/28/07  (Read 8076 times)

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
We aren't going to get to a previous equlibrium when some species are arbitrarially protected while others aren't.  There may also not be an equlibrium, boom-bust cycles are very common in nature.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I can see it now, the sea lion's blog:
8/27-stole a black rockfish from another kayaker, heh heh. Sucka! Snaked a spot on the rock and pooped on the losers under me.
8/28-tried to hit on a female under the SC wharf but her boyfriend showed up, and his forehead protrusion was bigger than mine. Made out with an otter to quell my urge but hated myself afterward.
8/29-Hassled the surfers at Marina but got scoped by a pod of dolphins. Lousy dolphin! Then all the surfers left the water for some reason. They are such scardey catsAAAGH somethings biting me!!!!!!!

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
We aren't going to get to a previous equlibrium when some species are arbitrarially protected while others aren't.  There may also not be an equlibrium, boom-bust cycles are very common in nature.

I've already met my quota of being argumentative for this month, so I'm glad you posted what I was thinking :)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I've already met my quota of being argumentative for this month, so I'm glad you posted what I was thinking :)

So we get to take shots at your posts with no return fire????? 

:smt064

The reason we don't have equilibrium is because of global warming! 

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

bajareefer

• Salmon
  • big sur ling 07/29/09
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
It won't be equilibrium as in the garden of Eden but the normal checks and balances of whatever eco-system evolves.
Boom and bust occurs in lots of predator-prey relationships but with the anchor prey of the GWS being federally protected marine mammals in this case ...there is nothing left to take their numbers down but some epidemic disease now.

Equilibrium wasn't a good choice of words...I mean to say a new story evolving all the time without reference to past routines and notions of what should be.
         Uneven management yes but absolute in many areas insuring something edible is going to be feeding the chain.
We have lots of marine mammals and tons of new resource users and tourists like never before.
          I still see a rising bio-mass in the water and the requisite GWS in proportion to it to keep it in check.
Both he and his prey are protected by law. What are the chances that something in our relevant life span as kayakers is going to alter that anytime soon?
Steve
My kayaks white...I wonder if I should I paint black stripes under it?

Cortez Marine....
Marinelife consultant

• Big Sur glass
  • View Profile
and to imagine that we were in the same general area. you would think that he (the shark) would have tried for a nice fat hobie or xtreme.
-Slowmo
We are all worms but I do believe that I am a glow worm. Slowmo- qoute by Winston Churchill.

bajareefer

• Salmon
  • big sur ling 07/29/09
  • View Profile
As a crow flies...I was halibut-less diving just a few miles downstream off MBK.

I remember googling up all I could on Marina State Beach as a great spot to go spearing for halibut and thinking..."Theres probable little in that water to interest sharks, being sand and all w/ little structure."
 Wrong, wrong, wrong.
I think we all build little constructs in our own minds to keep us safe.

Steve

Cortez Marine....
Marinelife consultant

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
and to imagine that we were in the same general area. you would think that he (the shark) would have tried for a nice fat hobie or xtreme.
-Slowmo

Slowmo,

I'm no local...but how close exactly were we from the attack? Some of us were fishing right in front of the "Hotel" and there was a lot of bait in that area....

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Marina State Beach as a great spot to go spearing for halibut and thinking..."Theres probable little in that water to interest sharks, being sand and all w/ little structure."

Ya, thats the thing I don't understand. Marina isn't a place where you see many seals or sea lions. It is an absolutely flat, straight, sandy beach with zero structure. Nowhere for seals/lions to haul out or hide.
I speculate the shark confused the surfer with a dolphin. Because I see dolphins cruising in pods there all the time. I've been treated to dolphin shows that last for over 30 minutes, while they go back and forth playing.

Glad to hear the guy is OK. And not just because I've met him at the pet store he works at. At least I think it was that dude.
This is a big eye-opener for me because I have played around in the surf there a lot. More than anywhere else. Mainly because its right down the street. I probably won't drag my kayak down the dunes there for a long time. Screw that!

The beach hotel in Seaside (that many people paddled to during the MBK Tourney) is approx 6 miles from Marina beach, as the crow flies...er...paddles.

PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
what I want to know is how many attacks before the OFFICIAL  :smt002 GWS thread is moved from banishment in fish talk to the general talk forum?

And Bill, thanks for that lunch. I guess its time for a new bet.. hmm...

Also, it's clear that when a GWS or two are whacked, like in 1997 and 2000 at the farralons, they all leave for a while.

So personally I think it's fine to have them be protected but at the same time whack two or three a year to keep them out at the farallons and away from the heavily populated shore.

and then shoot the same number of sealions to match the GWS deaths. all in the name of equilibrium.

John
john m. airey

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Ha take that!  :smt044

I did get off light on lunch and I still owe Mooch lunch so let's do it again soon.

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

So we get to take shots at your posts with no return fire????? 

:smt064

The reason we don't have equilibrium is because of global warming! 

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Hitler

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
The Hotel is a good 7-8  miles south of Marina Beach.
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Holy Mackerel!!!!that's we're we hang out with my family last weekend on the MBK tournament, we stayed in Best Western Dunes Beach Resort.....yeah !!! I saw a lot of sea lion on that area..and it was fun watching those hang gliders flying above us.....hope that guy is okey..

Kiel
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 05:51:07 AM by ReelKnots »
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
That surfer was clearly mistaken for a hobie kayak.

:neutral:

:smt005 I am thinking more and more about getting one of those black & "white killer whale stripes" decal for the bottom of my Hobie.  But then I'd be worried about an amorous killer whale taking a liking to my yak...
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...