Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:08:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wrapping new guides for Ugly Stick Tiger Rod  (Read 3122 times)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
My Ugly Stick Tiger has a busted guide and a few that are old and corroded. I want to replace them myself to save $$$. Where can I order some quality guides (that won't break on first use) plus threads, epoxy, etc?
Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks,
Andrew
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

bwodun

ive heard good things about mudhole.com, they primarily do rod building, necer used them myself, so dont really know, cameron

tallpaul

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
I have use the Ugly Sticks, and liked em just fine, but...

You can often find them on sale for 50 bucks or so, which means repairing them won't save you much money. So if you want to repair your rod for the experience of it, or to learn a new skill, or to figure out how to build your own rods, then go for it. It is fun.

Otherwise just pony up the fifty. you won't save much.
Always willing to join others in the Monterey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon Bay area for a bit of fishing...feel free to contact me.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Time for a new stick! You wanna borrow one of my Trevalas?
 You won't go back to 'the Ugly' afterwards.  :smt005

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yeah, it just seems so stupid to throw away a perfectly good rod. Thanks, I'll look over my options.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I wrap rods a few times a year and I would guess that by the time you buy 3 or 4 guides, rod finish, and thread, and pay for shipping you're going to spend at least $30. And, that's with cheap-ass guides.

$30 is still cheaper than $50-$60 though, so if you're tight on cash it's probably your best bet. However, if you have the cash I'd recommend buying a new rod and also re-wrapping the entire Ugly Stik just for fun/practice. You can buy quality guide sets for around $30-$40, finish for ~$7, and a few different threads for $3-$4 each. After you've wrapped your first rod you'll have the confodence to repair any fishing rod and maybe build an entire custom rod for yourself someday. Through Mudhole you could buy all the stuff to build your own custom jigging rod for about $100. Not only would it be just as good as a Trevala, you would also get that extra bit of satisfaction from catching fish on a rod you built.
Good luck!

BTW, I use Mudhole, JannsNetCraft and Cabelas for most of my rod building supplies. I definitely would recommend Mudhole as the better of the three places.
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Why spend $30 on parts when someone will do it for $10. Don't know anyone in SF but these guys were recommended to me and I was very happy with the results @ $10 per guide

Contact - Castro Valley Sportsmen's Center for rod and reel repairs.
3794 Castro Valley Blvd
Castro Valley, CA 94546

(510) 537-8191
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I wrap rods a few times a year and I would guess that by the time you buy 3 or 4 guides, rod finish, and thread, and pay for shipping you're going to spend at least $30. And, that's with cheap-ass guides.

Any recommendations on good guides to buy? I really have a problem with just throwing out a perfectly good rod. Being able to repair and build things that are broken is an important skill.

Shicken

• HAC
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
Come over (you live down the street?) I can show you how to choose a guide.  I also have all the rod wrapping stuff - wrapper, thread, epoxy, tip adhesive, etc.

-marvin

Any recommendations on good guides to buy? I really have a problem with just throwing out a perfectly good rod. Being able to repair and build things that are broken is an important skill.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'd take shicken up on this offer. 
Without knowing the rod you're using and what you're using it for it would be tough to recommend a guide set. But generally I find you can't go wrong with any of the Fuji guides in terms of quality. Of course they range from super light high quality SiC titanium guides at $50 per guide, to their bottom rung hardloy guides at less than $1 each, which are still well built. The Fuji Hardloy's are what most UglyStik's are made with, if you have a version that uses guides with inserts. PacBay's higher end guides have been good for me, but their cheap stuff rusts quickly in my experience. REC is good stuff too, but probably nicer than I would put on an UglyStik.

-Jay

Come over (you live down the street?) I can show you how to choose a guide.  I also have all the rod wrapping stuff - wrapper, thread, epoxy, tip adhesive, etc.

-marvin

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:35:06 PM by Fishin-Jay »
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Bigfoot

• Sea Lion
  • moochariffic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Too show my ignorence I'll ask the ?. Is there any reason he could not spiral wrap the stik? I?ve never fished one but understand it's suppsed to be a better way to fight a fish. Sorry for a semi- threadjack!
Bigfoot
Randall Ray Nelums
Cell (510) 305 0471

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Not sure what you mean by that.
Anyway, Marv set me up today. Thanks Marv!
I'll order that stuff tomorrow.
Andrew

Shicken

• HAC
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
make sure you measure and record the position of the old guides before you remove them.  distance from tip to guide.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Too show my ignorence I'll ask the ?. Is there any reason he could not spiral wrap the stik? I?ve never fished one but understand it's suppsed to be a better way to fight a fish. Sorry for a semi- threadjack!

Since Malibu_Two got taken care of I'll go ahead and answer Bigfoot's threadjack  :smt044

You could spiral wrap it, but you would have to remove the tip and reposition it, which isn't hard to do. The only thing spiral wrapping does is prevent the blank from twisting when loaded. A casting rod under load will actually twist until the tip is turned all the way around. Most of us don't notice it, especially kayak fishing where we aren't putting huge amounts of drag on our reels. In stiffer rods, with higher drag settings, you can run into a large amount of torque making it harder to hold onto the rod as it tries to twist out of your hands. IMHO, spiral wrapping is really cool and does make it so you have no rod torque under load, but it probably isn't necessary for most kayak fishing applications.

Bigfoot

• Sea Lion
  • moochariffic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Bigfoot
Randall Ray Nelums
Cell (510) 305 0471

anything