Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:08:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:08:24 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Not alot of Fly fishers here?  (Read 6559 times)

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I hate FlyFishing. It sucks.....:smt002

Can somebody please tell me why I've got more money invested in fly gear than on my brand new motorcycle? Crazy sh.t!
~MarcosM~

9erfan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
I hate FlyFishing. It sucks.....:smt002

Can somebody please tell me why I've got more money invested in fly gear than on my brand new motorcycle? Crazy sh.t!
The BMW?
1st place 2011 Red Barn Classic
2019 Hobie Outback

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Well maybe not a brand new motorcycle, :smt044  but I definitely spent a few $$$ on everything FlyFishing.
We probably shouldn't talk about that right? :smt003
Come on steelhead!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:52:06 PM by Rockroach »
~MarcosM~

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
With a boat I can actually catch some fish!

I'd say you catch more than "some", everytime I've fished with you, you do very well. I still talk about the time you and Flyaker were killing them outside the kelp at SWS. My goal was to catch a 40" ling on the kayak before I brought my fly rod out there but screw it, 2" short,  I'm gonna start bringing a beater out on the ocean. Looks like a hoot!

Come on steelhead!

I used to play to a 5 handicap in golf, I used to fly fish trout and kayak alot more...I always fly fished steelhead but about 5 years ago when I discovered spey rods and met some guys from the Golden Gate Angling Club on the Gualala, everything else has taken a back seat to steelheading with the 2 hander...haven't touched my clubs in 3 years and could fill a golf bag full of spey rods now.

Marcos, have you cast the new Meiz yet? I cast my new 5116 and it's going go to be a perfect norcal stick. let me know what your days off look like the next few months and we can go hit the T and K...then coastals in the winter for some hardcore shyte!

Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

charms2833

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I just joined this forum and love fly fishing for Shad, Steelhead and Bass. Haven't done it since I had a shoulder surgery thou. I think it's probably the most relaxing fishing method!
charms2833

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Why would anyone want to fish for flies? :smt003

My dad took my twirling baton away from me when I was 5, so I would hate to disappoint him by waving a wand around as a grown man. 

You must please forgive me.  I was told by a flyfisherman this week that fly fishing is a much more intellectual sport than other fishing methods :smt011 (which I think is total hogwash).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:30:31 PM by ATD »
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You must please forgive me.  I was told by a flyfisherman this week that fly fishing is a much more intellectual sport than other fishing methods :smt011 (which I think is total hogwash).

I don't hate too many things in life, but I really hate, with a passion, snob fly fisherman.  As a director of a fly club, I see a lot of pompus old farts that just piss me off.  I have told plenty of them off and have no problem doing it.  Intellectual?  Freaking moron, I would have loved to been there when he told you that.

Now back to my crumpet and tea as I pick which part of the feather from my prized winning champion fowls to use for the silver king that I will catch tomorrow morning.  Anyone seen my tweed jacket?
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Ok, first of all, I do fly fish a bit, not a lot  but enough to call my self a fly fisherman. I enjoy it enormously. And as with everything there are always those who's ego gets the best of them. But I gotta say I new from the first time I went fly fishing that it was a whole other reality. I paid $400 bucks to fly fish the Yuba and we fished with nymph "flys" something any other fisherman would call a lure. And to top it off (literally) an "indicator" aka a BOBBER!

Just sayin'

ruben
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I am not a fan of nymphs or bobbers, indcators or whatever they want to call them.  But I will say that the nymph does imitate the larva form of insects, so technically it can be called a fly.

Who was your guide Ruben?
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

charms2833

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
charms2833

charms2833

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I know some old timers are purist and can be rude about other forums of fishing, but I look at it as a tool be it baitcasting, spinning or fly fishing. Whatever gets me the more hook ups and enjoying the outdoors!!
charms2833

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I am not a fan of nymphs or bobbers, indcators or whatever they want to call them.  But I will say that the nymph does imitate the larva form of insects, so technically it can be called a fly.

Who was your guide Ruben?

It was a long time ago Scott. I'm lucky if I can remember who I fished with last week ;)
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Yuba Egg Bite coming! Screw the guide, take your kayak/pontoon and use as transportation. I'll probably be going soon if you're interested...but there will be alot of down and dirty nymphing with indo-bobbers, beads and rubber legs that barely resembles fly fishing. The dude that lives by the bridge does shuttles too. Yuba bows are the hardest fighting trout in the valley IMO, maybe even hook into a some steel. Don't forget a tweed jacket so we can pose later and drink 16 yo Lagavulin.

Ok, first of all, I do fly fish a bit, not a lot  but enough to call my self a fly fisherman. I enjoy it enormously. And as with everything there are always those who's ego gets the best of them. But I gotta say I new from the first time I went fly fishing that it was a whole other reality. I paid $400 bucks to fly fish the Yuba and we fished with nymph "flys" something any other fisherman would call a lure. And to top it off (literally) an "indicator" aka a BOBBER!

Just sayin'

ruben
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
Shhhhh.... It's our dirty little secret :smt003 Wading along streams, cussing at trees and bushes in pursuit of 8 to 10" trout is something none of us like to admit :smt011 Squealing and patting ourselves on the back for catching something we would usually consider bait :smt045 Living where I live and crossing trout water everyday. I just can't resist the call of those little Beauties... :smt007 So while we don't talk about it much... many of us have this problem to which there seems to be no cure.  :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

anything