Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Paddling in backwards  (Read 3136 times)

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I have read a few posts where paddling in backwards in big surf has been mentioned. I have never seen it done and actually never even considered it myself. Could someone please explain the technique and pros and cons as opposed to just heading in straight towards the beach?
<=>

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I used to land bow first in Linda Mar - and I hated it cause you could never see the incoming waves and hated the feeling of getting "pushed"and end up sideways. I then met some of the local guys who fished this area (like cpyak) and I watched them come in stearn first and I was amazed with how easy it looked. I tried it once and never went back to landing bow first.

Based on my experiences at Linda Mar: I wait for the last wave of the set and then I start paddling in backwards as fast as I can - yet keeping my bow pointing forward....once I see a breaker coming my way, I start paddling forward and punch through the incoming. The wave then sucks you in backwards - this is the critical moment to where you want to make sure your bow keeps pointed towards the next swell by paddling forward some more because your yak will tend to turn sideways. Just keep repeating these steps till your paddle hits the sand and then quickly jump out and get in front of the yak and grab on to the carrying handle to keep your yak top side with more of the incoming shore breaks. Simply slowly guide your yak into the shoreline and your golden  :smt002 NEVER STAND IN BETWEEN YOUR YAK AND THE SHORELINE OR YOU WILL TURN INTO A BOWLING PIN.

Practice ,practice,practice. It's not a perfect system (I have flipped a few times landing this way - simple because I timed it wrong) but I still feel more comfortable doing this type of landing. Just remember that not all beaches break the same way. I have only used this type of landing at Linda Mar. Also remember to stow your rods,FF,GPS,sunglasses below the deck (easier done with a pal - if you don't have easy access to a hatch) and remove your paddle leash cause you don't want it wrapping around you if and when you fall off or tumble on the surf.

pros: you see what your getting into - no surprises
cons: your yak WILL take on water and it gets heavy (this is when you need to muscle your foward stroke to gain control of the yak by keeping your bow pointed forward)

Cpyak and the others may do it differently - but this works for me  :smt002

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Most fishing kayaks have tankwells with smaller scuppers.  Coming in face-first, a crashing wave will fill your tankwell and add 50-100lbs of water-weight to your craft.  This immediately compromises your bouyancy, stability and agility.    The front generally rides up and over the waves better than the back as well.  

Coming in backwards is an effective strategy in places with smallish surf that breaks for a long distance.  It's inappropriate for spots with a short, large break like bean hollow where the name of the game is to get in between the waves and you need the speed of paddling forewards.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Thanks for the feedback!!! it is greatly appreciated. One more question. Would it help to make your bowline a 'stern line' for ease of grabbing the yak and hauling it to shore once you hopped off?
<=>

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Quote from: Tote
Thanks for the feedback!!! it is greatly appreciated. One more question. Would it help to make your bowline a 'stern line' for ease of grabbing the yak and hauling it to shore once you hopped off?

absolutely! My bowline and stearn line are connected midway by a quickrelease clip. (the red bunjee cord loop is where I attach my quick release anchor - for sturgeon fishing in the bay)

anything