Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Moss 4.19 PB skunk  (Read 1104 times)

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Long story short - no fish.  We trolled from 6:30 to 11:30 non stop on my buddies 23 Seaswirl Striper ("20 Gauge").  All up and down the water column (mostly down deep).  We marked huge bait balls just outside the jaws about 2 miles out very early and lost a few hookups.  Could not get anything to stick.

Dragged pink & purple haze hoochies, purple apex, and straight bait, all behind a dodger.  Most hookups came on frozen herring on FBRs at about 150 ft on the wire.  The fleet out of moss was hit or miss (going by the radio chatter).  Few boats had limits (mostly early bites) but many got blanked.  It was not nearly as hot as the last two days.  I think trollers did better than moochers.

Furbags are a problem.  They were following boats, just biding their time to steal a king.  I repeatedly saw one furbag tail us for a good 10 minutes.

Water was flat clam but breezy in the morning and the wind laid down very nicely for about 3 hours.  By about 11:30 it was busting whitecaps.  We didn't cover a whole lot of water only 7 gallons of boat fuel.  Should have just worked the bait balls we found in close in the early morning, I think that would have been the ticket for early limits.

Go get em gang!!

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
thanks for the report :smt023

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Blue,
Thanks for the report.
A buddy just emailed me that his boat limited today, early, in bait close to Moss.  No mention on depth, but he was trolling.
He's going out again on Friday, so I'll be at work, getting a phone call, telling me how great it was.

Sealions are always bad early season.  By June, it will thin out considerably and the fish will run bigger. (Though not as big as the Sept/Oct dux fish).

Stuart

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Looks like Party boat scores are picking up quite well, especially considering the furbag factor.

http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/landingdetail.php?landing_id=31
http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/landingdetail.php?landing_id=39
http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/landingdetail.php?landing_id=26

Sounds like its about time to head out and give it a try.

BTW, most trollers look for another big boat and cross over just in front of him.  Try to pass it off to other fellow fishing friends.

Also, those seal bombs are a joke.  They don't work, so save your money.

Stuart

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

Stuart, thanks for posting the party boat score links. 
john m. airey

jselli

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I am not sure if this is accurate information but there seem to be some bright people on this thread.  I read somewhere that on Bright sunny days using a flasher could spook the salmon off the bite.  I would assume this would pertain more to shallow water fishing.   

I trolled with a buddy before and I got two keepers and eleven shakers using a watermelon apex (no flash) while he used the same set up with a flahser.  All other variable being equal he hooked and landed 1 fish.

Jason
...The sea, once it casts its spell
holds one in its net of wonders forever.
                          Jacques Cousteau

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
I don't use flashers with WMA, I think it makes them not swim correctly, at least in my experience. Straight WMA is way easier to troll as well.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I've used the flasher and WMA combo at Linda Mar  - 2004. And it worked really good - I was broken off twice by a big sea monster - never knew what it was (I blamed the drag of my abu reel). BUT it does create a lot of drag - so I got rid of the flashers and used an 8ounce banana weight - more streamline  :smt023 I think a dodger and a WMA would be a bad idea - the apex has enough action on it already. IMO: A dodger works well with a lure that has no action at all.

...just my 2 cents  :smt002

anything