Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: A sticky for ocean newbie questions?  (Read 106796 times)

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
How do people generally approach using the bathroom on the kayak? Do you bring a container, go in the ocean, or head back to land?

A lot depends on how you are dressed, your business at hand, what kind of kayak you have and where you are.
You can just piss in the scupperhole or the Mirage drive hole.
You used to be able to take a piece of Bull kelp, cut the ends and use it as a hose to direct your business.
If you are in a crowded family friendly area you can use a Little John like pictured below.
I can slide this into my drysuit, TCOB and no one knows.
The other order of business calls for a bit more creativity.
Just remember not to put yourself in a dangerous situation should you fall off the kayak.
<=>

killbipp

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
The list is already long, and I’ve been doing this all of two weeks, but a neck gaiter seems like a top ten item for anyone who spends time on the water.

adamhelm67

• General Manager/Instructor/Fishing Guide Monterey Bay Kayaks
  • Salmon
  • View Profile Monterey Bay Kayaks
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
The list is already long, and I’ve been doing this all of two weeks, but a neck gaiter seems like a top ten item for anyone who spends time on the water.

I wear them all of the time and found out the cheap ones simply are not that great. I don't need a skull face or anything like that. I finally found the best one at Simms. Has a great breathing hole so won't for up glasses. Synthetic fabric etc.... It is great and usually wear it for 4-7 hrs straight with no issues
Get out there and Fish!

IG:adam.helm
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKthF1LaYo43WZur6EI_6mg
Monterey Bay Kayaks
Topwater PDL 106/120
Prowler 13
Trident 13

Waywardmanini

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
From an OG that can't swim,  new to kayaking. Thank you for all the great safety tips.  :smt006

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
How do people generally approach using the bathroom on the kayak? Do you bring a container, go in the ocean, or head back to land?

A lot depends on how you are dressed, your business at hand, what kind of kayak you have and where you are.
You used to be able to take a piece of Bull kelp, cut the ends and use it as a hose to direct your business.
If you are in a crowded family friendly area you can use a Little John like pictured below.
Just remember not to put yourself in a dangerous situation should you fall off the kayak.

It’s a well known fact that peeing in the mirage drive hole attracts the fish. Google it.  :smt044
IG: @sakana_seeker

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020

It’s a well known fact that peeing in the mirage drive hole attracts the fish. Google it.  :smt044

I was wondering why I've been doing so well lately. 
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

Waywardmanini

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
Haaa another great tip :smt003

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Depends on whether 1 or 2 . . . .

AirtoyzDrew

• Sardine
  • A new twist on fly fishing
  • View Profile Airtoyz Ultralight Aviation
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
A big THANK YOU!!! to all who contributed!
Learn to fly an ultralight today...
Spot your next fishing hole tomorrow!

HGEric

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Found a lot of great info here. Thank you for sharing guys.

• View Profile transitionsfromwar.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
Great info here. One question: when you guys are saying farmer John’s, you’re just talking about the bottoms, right? My free dive suit has a farmer John bottoms and a hooded top. I tried wearing both my first time out and sweated my balls off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘22 Hobie Mirage Compass- Papaya
Marine Corps Veteran

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Great info here. One question: when you guys are saying farmer John’s, you’re just talking about the bottoms, right? My free dive suit has a farmer John bottoms and a hooded top. I tried wearing both my first time out and sweated my balls off.

Farmer Johns are sleeveless wetsuits.

Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

• View Profile transitionsfromwar.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021

Farmer Johns are sleeveless wetsuits.

Okay cool. That's what I was thinking. Thanks.
‘22 Hobie Mirage Compass- Papaya
Marine Corps Veteran

pbb

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2019
Regarding the "Dramamine"

Take the "less drowsy" generic name Meclizine, aka Bonine (tm).

Apparently it can still cause drowsiness in some people, so you might want to test it out before your first trip and when you don't need to drive or operate heavy equipment.

For your actual fishing trip, take a dose the night before and then another when you get up in the AM.

And as far as keeping busy to avoid getting sicker, tying knots is a terrible idea because you are looking a something with a frame of reference which is moving with the swells (i.e., your eyes are telling your brain you aren't moving). Looking at a fixed point on the horizon is the best move when starting to get green around the gills. And if you have Gatorade, drink some, that can help, too.

Also I notice some people have a compass affixed to their yaks, which is fine, but I've got a small keychain sized one attached to a zipper pull on my PFD. If I go in and lose my yak, I want to be damn sure I am swimming in the right direction.

Someone mentioned a weather radio, every Marine VHF ever has weather radio channels, so just get a good submersible handheld VHF (and tie to your PFD, again you want it with you if you get separated from your yak).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 10:47:43 AM by pbb »

Seagrass

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2022
Thanks for starting this post. Some really great recommendations I hadn't even thought of before.

anything