General > CA Regulations

Can’t an Officer “Radio in” My License Info?

(1/9) > >>

Hojoman:
February 15, 2018

Question: I often fish off the dock where my boat is in a slip. My fishing license is in a folder on my boat with all the other required legal documents. I also have a photo of my license in my cell phone that clearly shows the license number on a valid license. If I am contacted by a CDFW officer, will I receive a citation for not having the piece of paper in my possession? He could certainly check the number via his radio and see that it’s valid, or walk over to my boat and view the license. (Dave M.)

Answer: As explained above, FGC, section 7145 (a) specifies that you must have your license with you while fishing. There are a few exceptions – you don’t need a license if you’re fishing from a public pier (FGC, section 7153), and if you’re diving, it’s fine to keep your license in the boat or within 500 yards of the shore, as applicable (FGC, section 7145(a)).

Except for the diving exemption, when required, you must have your valid fishing license in your immediate possession when fishing, not just a photograph of the license. It’s an urban legend that “wardens can look it up on the radio.”

NowhereMan:
Idiocy.

PISCEAN:
I can't really defend it, but I've come around to the retention of this policy. It's one thing that hasn't changed, ever.

I know, I know, advancements in tech comms, etc, but even I, who only fished a double handful of days last season, still went to a couple places where there is absolutely no cell reception. So I get the old school approach.
At least they do make some allowances for diving.

NowhereMan:
As if on cue, I had a few minutes today and was in Santa Cruz and had my fishing pole. So, I stopped by to make a few casts, and just as I was walking across the beach realized that I'd forgotten my fishing license. Very annoying...

sandshred:
 I have personally been stopped by a warden while on my kayak in the far back of Ice House.
 He was in a small aluminum boat, blue jeans and a t shirt.
 I didn't have my license on me.
 He was able to use his cell phone to look up my info.
 He sent me on my way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version