General > CA Regulations

Crab pot from Kayak

(1/3) > >>

JamesM:
I have a tandem kayak. What is the number of crab pot/net allowed when 2 people paddle? And 1 person paddle? Assuming 2 people scenario allows more pot/net vs. a single person, is it legal to have all floating device with same person's GO ID? Is more than one GO ID allowed on a floating device/crab float? Thanks!

crash:
There is no limit on the number of pots or traps a boat based recreational fisherman can use in California.  Knock yourself out.

As far as multiple GO IDs on one buoy, I don't know if that question has been answered yet. 

chopper:
I ran five solo one day and ran through three or four checks on each trap -- it was a lot of work. If I'm just going to drop and let soak I might do that again, but if I plan to actively work the traps and move around looking for crab I wouldn't do more than three again.

The type of trap you have and the amount of storage you have might be the limiting factor. I have the folding ProMars and the traps aren't bad when collapsed, but the coils of line, floats, etc eat up space as well.

Good luck,
Brad

JamesM:
Thanks guys! Space is a big issue with Hobie Outfitter. The most I have done was 3 nets + 2 traps with my wife onboard. I didn't bring my rods and that was best decision. We works back to back none stop. It was a good workout.

Da Bruddah:
Hi James,
I use my Hobie Tandem Oasis whenever I go crabbing, whether solo or with someone else. I like the extra space and stability . I use 2 Danielson cages and 2 Promar hoops and load it up with a homemade PVS holder that I stick in the rear scupper holes and 4 seems to be the max for me, then it becomes a storage and weight issue. If I am only crabbing and checking my traps every 30-40 minutes, that's a lot of pulls and paddling. I also put extra weights on my traps to make it more stable on the bottom, which adds weight to the kayak when loading up to go out or come in. After flipping my tandem in HMB Harbor a couple of years ago after having to come in quickly because the wind was picking up and wanted to sort out 2 traps before I landed, I now use outrigger AMA pontoons whenever I go crabbing. It is almost impossible to flip the kayak. It was not easy righting a fully loaded kayak with 4 traps. I also have 2 Rescue Ladders, one in the front and one in the back. I found out the hard way that the hull on the Hobie Tandem Oasis is very wide hull and I had a hard time reaching across the hull to pull the kayak upright. After that, I bought the Rescue Ladders which allow me to have more leverage, as it is draped over the hull the bottom of the hull and I can pull the kayak upright and also use it to get back in the kayak.
I just took a friend out HMB crabbing who had never been on a kayak before and we came up with a good system. We figured out that it worked better if he pulled up the traps in the front seat and handed it to me in the back, where I opened and sorted out the crab. I then handed him the crab and we had a wet burlap bag in the forward storage compartment.
This last trip I lost one of my Promar Hoops because I could not find my buoy. I move my traps around a lot if I am not getting any crabs and location can be very deceiving once you are out in the ocean, even if I am marking the drop spot with landmarks and buoys.
After this last time, spending so much extra time and energy finding my buoys, I am now motivated to learn how to set GPS waypoints on my Hook 5 Fish finder to locate my traps.
By the way, what kind of tandem do you have?
Aloha,
Da Bruddah
Michael Y.
Oakland, CA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version