Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:29:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by &
[Today at 05:25:18 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 04:39:50 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Centerpin  (Read 1552 times)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I have been following "Fishing with Rod" a little while on YT. They are B.C. Canada based. In his video, he uses centerpin reel for salmon. Anyone experienced centerpin on kayak trolling for salmon over here? I read somewhere long time ago about the surface drag is better with those reel, but not really sure if I truly understand the difference.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

dangalang

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
More fun/sporting, but only 1:1 gear ratio so not ideal if a salmon runs at you with a barbless hook in its mouth.

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
More fun/sporting, but only 1:1 gear ratio so not ideal if a salmon runs at you with a barbless hook in its mouth.

That is true. Will it be more difficult to net the fish with this type of reel?
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

dangalang

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013

That is true. Will it be more difficult to net the fish with this type of reel?

Way harder than it already is :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 I don't think they have drags normally so you'd have to palm the reel with one hand and net with the other.

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Way harder than it already is :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 I don't think they have drags normally so you'd have to palm the reel with one hand and net with the other.

thanks for this! that is my biggest concern. The netting part is already very difficult. will hold off buying one for now. Thanks bud!
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
James, those are mooching reels, not centerpin reels. Centerpins have no drag and are free spinning. The ones the BC guys use up there are for salmon mostly Islander mooching reels. Those have drags.

ernest

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I've caught a lot of salmon on those mooching reels.  It's not just about the reel, mate it up with a long mooching rod, like a 10-11' one specially made for this style of fishing.  Some may say it is too long on a kayak, but they are noodle rods and double over quite a bit.  You can high stick 'em without worrying about busting your rod.

-Allen

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
James, those are mooching reels, not centerpin reels. Centerpins have no drag and are free spinning. The ones the BC guys use up there are for salmon mostly Islander mooching reels. Those have drags.

ernest

Thank you for that note! That is exactly what I'm looking at. Do you think that will add difficulty for salmon trolling?
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've caught a lot of salmon on those mooching reels.  It's not just about the reel, mate it up with a long mooching rod, like a 10-11' one specially made for this style of fishing.  Some may say it is too long on a kayak, but they are noodle rods and double over quite a bit.  You can high stick 'em without worrying about busting your rod.

-Allen

Thanks Allen! Yes, I'm looking at the whole set on the islander MR3 with their trolling rod, I believe the rod is 10ft ish. Now I m using a 8'6" noodle rod, 10-11ft could work just as well. How do you like the mooching reel vs. a regular conventional or bait cast for trolling salmon on kayak?
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Thanks Allen! Yes, I'm looking at the whole set on the islander MR3 with their trolling rod, I believe the rod is 10ft ish. Now I m using a 8'6" noodle rod, 10-11ft could work just as well. How do you like the mooching reel vs. a regular conventional or bait cast for trolling salmon on kayak?

Hmm, I wasn't thinking trolling, but see now your original post was asking about that.  It depends on your trolling setup.  And your kayak.  Keep in mind the long rod can add extra leverage since it sticks out further.  But using a downrigger minimizes that, and trolling with a rudder helps too.  Me, I see a definite advantage while mooching as I can control the presentation better, but not so much of an advantage for trolling.

-Allen

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hmm, I wasn't thinking trolling, but see now your original post was asking about that.  It depends on your trolling setup.  And your kayak.  Keep in mind the long rod can add extra leverage since it sticks out further.  But using a downrigger minimizes that, and trolling with a rudder helps too.  Me, I see a definite advantage while mooching as I can control the presentation better, but not so much of an advantage for trolling.

-Allen

Thanks a lot for sharing your perspective. All my salmon are caught on my Hobie outback through trolling. I have yet unlock salmon mooching, maybe this is a sign.  :smt005
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I’ve also been interested in trying a mooching reel for salmon. Not because I think it will put more fish in the boat, but because it looks fun.

True, they are 1:1 gear ratio, but they also have a much bigger spook diameter that (to some degree...) makes up for it.

Give it a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything