Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Albion Open 2011 results and thread  (Read 25992 times)

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Oh hell yes! The event was again a huge success. 120 registered anglers.

Scott Gee/ Great Bass 2 1st place     15lbs 3 ozs Ling, cab , rock

Ryan Huston/ Team Chancho 2nd place 13lbs. 4 ozs. ling, cab, rock and a 20lb king salmon. 1st time fishingon the ocean WTG Ryan!

Roger Shu/ RSHU 3rd place12lbs. 8 ozs. ling, rock   If Roger would have caught the 3rd specie?????????????????? Who knows!

The womens division ended up with

1st Brandi Easter 11lbs 13.5ozs. ling ,cab,rock Brandi also took 4th overall in the whole tourney! WTG Chica! Watch out next year.

2nd Shilo Camp 5 lbs. 2.5 ozs. ling , rock

3rd Theresa Kirchner 1lb. 4oz rock

Lets start here everyone and thanks again for making it the best!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:24:35 PM by ravensblack »
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Oh heel yes it was a GREAT time!!! Thanks again for all your efforts in putting such a great event for us all! I caught 1 shaker ling and 1 small R/F. lilsnapperhead caught 1 shaker ling and 2 keepers and 5 blacks. I'll try and post a link to photobucket later.
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Heres the women all together from  left to right in order.  1st,3rd and 2nd. You ladies rocked the house!

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Everyone did an awesome job and it was great to see all of you out there. I can't wait for Albion 2012 ... I'm fishing that one!.
Kat
2nd Place Albion 2011

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
The prizes and the brew. Thanks again Marcos and especially Melissa! Bear Republic Brewery in Healdsburg. Please support all the sponsors if you can.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Everyone getting readyy to go out in the beautiful Pacific Ocean :smt003 :smt006

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
The raffle pulled in $2,800.00 for Marv and Joel :smt008 :smt008 :smt007

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Congrats to the winners! I'm sure I missed a good one, I'll be there for sure next year! I'm looking forward to the rest of this thread!
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Some fish and THE MAN.

zingthing

• hammerhead
  • Sand Dab
  • new picts 002
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Great event!!!! All u guys rock can't wait 4 next year!!!
Caples lake 1st place August 21,2011

ocean kayak trident 13
ocean kayak 4.3 ultra

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
It was alot of fun i will definatly be back there!!

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
First I would like to thank Craig and Linelle for hosting such a wonderful event and all of the sponsors. What a turnout and it is only a matter of time before Albion and GS have more participants than the Steve Moyer.  Yeah the Moyer has giant yellow tail but Albion and GS are better venues and the brotherhood/sisterhood of NCKA is second to none.

My journey began on Friday with a pleasant drive from the east bay and was followed by the Shu brothers and entourage for the last few miles. I was following a white pickup with 2 kayaks on 128 when a large doughnut shaped float flew out of the back of the truck and I had to swerve to avoid it. Finally made it to the campground and unloaded. Turns out I was camping right next to the Shu brothers and they broke out their tackle. OMG, looked like they were going on a 10 day long range trip on the Royal Polaris. What a quiver of production Calstar rods and people call me a tackle junkie. :smt044 They didn’t have a 700 XLH which I think is the best all around Calstar rod for NCAL kayak fishing so I lent it to Roger and gave both of them some of my custom lures. I knew they had some serious fishing skills because I watched them clean some impressive stringers at GS5. Dennis also has a great sense of humor, even when he is not ragging on Roger. Cooked dinner for Craig and Linelle and Adam and Freddie came by to clean up the leftovers. Ran into Abman and decided to launch at grey light then hit the sack early.

Met Abman and Dr Habanero around 530 AM and launched in darkness with headlamps. The Staufeners launched before us so I knew the competition was serious. Paddled out of the cove with Abman in the lead and made it to about 90 FOW just inside of the buoy. It was gnarly with a mixed swell, 5-10 knot wind out of the south and a fast north drift. Abman turned around and I followed him back into the cove. On our way in Jimbo passed us followed by the Shu brothers. I didn’t have any lures heavier than 4 oz so for me the drift was too fast for me to fish even with a drift chute. I have never fished Albion before so the next 5 hours was basically staring at my sonar and looking for visual structure. Worked the north side of the cove first and bagged black, China and kelp rockies. Headed to the south side of the cove and found a pinnacle in 75-80 FOW which came up to 30 FOW with a small flat top. Worked the lee side of the pinnacle and bagged a 29.5” ling. By this time it was around 930AM and it was time to find a cabbie. Unfortunately it turned out to be the fish of a thousand casts. Worked the edges of the bull kelp with custom twin tails and big hammers both casting and jigging. Ended up way inside the cove on the south side near the big rock with the light on top. Got a hard takedown on the twin tail but it didn’t stick so I casted up drift 50’ and slowly retrieved it along the bottom and wham, a 20” cabbie on the clip. Rockfish are really stupid.  :smt005 No trout would hit the same lure twice. Paddled in around 11 AM and was the first to weigh in with a total weight of 15# 3 oz. All fish were caught on a custom green twin tail on a 3 oz glow orange jig head with a mylar and glow skirt. Was pretty sure I was in the running but the Shu brothers and Team Chancho had yet to weigh in and of course the Staufeners. Since they stayed on the outside, I figured they were catching fish. Luckily I had enough to hold off Roger who came in 3rd with only 2 fish to weigh. If he had caught a legal cabbie, he would have won. Team Chancho had the most amazing stringer of fish which included a 20# salmon. Luckily salmon don’t count.  :smt005

Got up at 5 AM on Sunday and was going to go after salmon with Chuck but since I had more fish than I could eat in the next 4 days, I decided to head home early and beat the traffic. I decided to not freeze any fish 2 years ago because I think fresh fish taste much better and it keeps me from taking too much from the sea which has been so good to me.

I attend these events to hang out with guys I don’t see very often like Joel, Marv, Craig, Chuck, Adam, Freddie, Howard and many others.  Winning is secondary to the camaraderie of being part of NCKA.  I have learned so much from all of you over the last 5 years. Thank you and God bless you all.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:03:57 PM by Great Bass 2 »
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

anything