Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:48:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Test paddled the "Santa Cruz Kayak"  (Read 3748 times)

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
The family and I went to Paddle Fest today. My son and I talked with Jim, from Santa Cruz Kayak, and he showed us his yak and how its set-up, as well as a stripped down model. They are a little on the pricey side, but I'm going to try and get one. I will give it one more try in big blue first though. I was short on time, but paddled it out, leaned over in it and tried to compare it to my P15. I think my top speed is a little faster in the P15, but just normal paddling is very comparable; effort to speed of travel. It is very stable, I never felt that "point of no return." Overall I really liked it and would recomend people give them a try if they are looking into getting a fishing yak.
Also ran into Chuk-e(?). Sorry bro I ran out of time and wasn't able to get over and talk and chill with you at the Hobie tent. BTW, I won't be selling my Revo!
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

JurassicFish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I just got a chance to take the Raptor out rock fishing on the central coast.. I used to fish from a ocean kayak where I was sitting in cold water all day an would find myself drifting off faster than I could catch a fish! this Santa Cruz kayak Raptor however, I have to admit is perfect for launching off the surf on the rocky shores lines of so-cal..It's easy to load up, launch and I was impressed the how stable it was in the water, not to mention I was practically dry and comfortable all day awesome kayak for anyone looking to get into the water with out worry of flipping over out in the ocean!
Santa Cruz Kayaks pro staff

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I will have to agree with you about the Raptor, very stable and paddles very nice.
I do have a question though ... You stated
"I just got a chance to take the Raptor out rock fishing on the central coast." 
Just curious, Where are you calling the central coast? Many concider it from Monterey to Bodega Bay, if thats the case you might want to check the regs .... The only area open at this time is what many would concider So Cal. 
Either way I'm glad you enjoyed the Raptor, Jim is good people and that is a nice yak. 

See Ya Soon,
Eric / Yakhopper

P.S.
Welcome to the maddness, It all starts NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hobie Outback (dune)

Christian

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I have had one for about 6 months. I love it! I throw a 6+ft cast net all the time, standing, no worries. Ive had it in muddy fast moving rivers, choppy lakes with 40+ mph gusts, and calm glassy lakes. What a great yak. Ive portaged it about a half mile without a cart with no complaints. When I do get it to the saltwater...look out sharks. One cool thing to point out is it paddles well backwards. The rudder mount holds a light perfictly for gigging fish. I cant say enough great things about the raptor.i love it!
santa cruz raptor!!!

Christian

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Here, this is a pic from sat. Windy and some chop. Im in the raptor, the pic is my buddy getting wet reeling in a snag in his john boat.
santa cruz raptor!!!

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I will have to agree with you about the Raptor, very stable and paddles very nice.
I do have a question though ... You stated
"I just got a chance to take the Raptor out rock fishing on the central coast." 
Just curious, Where are you calling the central coast? Many concider it from Monterey to Bodega Bay, if thats the case you might want to check the regs .... The only area open at this time is what many would concider So Cal. 
Either way I'm glad you enjoyed the Raptor, Jim is good people and that is a nice yak. 
See Ya Soon,
Eric / Yakhopper
    Thanks Eric,    :smt006     CCKA   ( Central Coast Kayak Anglers)   They're a distinct species from the SoCal kayak fishermen. ( AKA "BigWatersEdge".  )   Their rockfish season opened March 1st.    It's not too far of a drive from Fresno,,, is it?      I'll meet ya down there.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

anything