Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:01:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: The life of a newb and the growth of a kayak angler.  (Read 7640 times)

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Using the paddle as a rudder. I like! I did that this past week while on the pick during windy conditions, didnt think about using it while landing. Thanks!

I wish Capitola or Santa Cruz would build a harbor.  :smt003

FishFarmer

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Santa Cruz would build a harbor.

Santa Cruz has a nice harbor with a great low dock for yakkers. I've been there twice, but couldn't tell you how to find it.
I know that I know nothing - Socrates

Kayote

• Sea Lion
  • Monkey Faced Sarcastic Fringehead
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
I'm not the best example, either, but you want to paddle in on the top/back of a wave ideally...   If your nose is pointing down towards sand the water is already receding faster than you can paddle, and a wave is behind you rearing up to inflict a lesson.

That top of the wave technique is ideal and is beautiful when done right. For me however, things often go to chit fast on big surf landings. The most important 'save my ass from disaster' surf landing moves I have learned for AFTER I lose control are first, bracing into the wave with my paddle while leaning into the wave when you get sideways, and second, when all else fails and you are about to swim, drop your legs and lay back. This works amazingly well. Trust me, I am the self proclaimed king of kayak surf munch. I have been crash landing for years (more balls than skill  :smt003).
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go...........

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
You must be kidding about Wheeleez carts.  I don't even use a strap if I'm going over level sand or pavement/gravel, and I've used my cart, with straps, to roll down the stepped ramp at Stillwater South, and, at times, back up (slow, requiring big jerks at the steps, but it works to save this big jerk's back).  Put the cart under where your butt would be if sitting in the yak, loop the straps around the legs of the cart on one side (180 deg loop, not 360), throw both ends of each strap over the top of the yak, put the buckles at the gunwale, the bitter ends around the other side's legs and cinch up tight, with nothing, like life jackets, under the straps.  Make sure you don't have too much pressure in the tires, they are only supposed to have 4 (four!) PSI ( I got a free low-pressure guage when I picked up my cart in the Benecia factory, but if you don't have one, think of a soft basketball when checking them), but maybe you have those smaller tires, I suppose they'd dig in more than the larger ones.
   Capitola hardly ever has a big swell coming into the beach at the right of the wharf, but out of maybe 30 times I've launched there, I've had to go elsewhere once.  Of course, it helps that I can drive by the night before a launch and check conditions, and I look at the surf websites. 
   The reason the dock at the wharf seems to be moving up and down so far is because the wharf is moving too!  Take your visitors from Kansas to the restaurant there to dine and tell them that the shaking (on a good surfing day) is an earthquake!

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Great thread Adman...yes the cap dock...after BigJim tells me to walk right down and launch south of there...and a life guard says "you can't put in here" with me saying "are ya sure BigJ does't all the time"  "U seen him?" "big guy with a yak?"  guys says yeah before 10am maybe...  :smt005 so off we go to cap and do the deed...coming in i did the beach landing north of the pier...and had a rooting team...it was fun...Slideways... :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

There's a lot to learn...main thing is have fun doing it!!! And "Get Some" when u are...thanks for keeping it real!!! Cya OTW!!!
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Great thread - and I love the title.  Keep on doing what you're doing!   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I havent enjoyed the wheelz at all. I've had them laced up, double strapped, tight as a Dan Marino spiral and they still find a way to get loose. Putting a couple wheels underneath a kayak shouldnt take this much skill.  :smt003 imo. I cant imagine trying to use them up steps. I'll try your suggestion on putting the wheels under the seat. I"m pretty far up but not that far.

Checked the swell, wind, weather and tides before heading out that day. It wasnt that so much as it was the kayak part of things. I've gotten in skiffs there with swells that kept most boats in. Trying to get my butt in a kayak was a whole different story. :smt044 Even with just a moderate swell.

Launch locations and the degree of difficulty of those locations has become HUGE in my personal kayak pursuits. It's become the #1 thing I think about ahead of fishing potential. Is this a newb thing or consistent for everyone?

Speaking of the Santa Cruz harbor - how far is that from kelp?

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
The side brace is a good technique for small slow mushy waves, anything other than that...my personal opinion is that you expose yourself to too much risk.  I've been rolled, drilled into the sand and crushed under my kayak twice before I gave up on using it at all.  You're gonna get wet anyway, if I ain't gonna land smooth I bail prior to hitting the sand  and swim it in.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I'm seeing a common thread here.

If you have not taken a basic kayak class, PLEASE do so. SIK or SOT, it doesn't matter. Then you can move up to taking a surf class, etc. This does not denigrate you, it elevates you. You'll learn all about secondary stability, rocker, bracing, ruddering, draw strokes...

kayak fishing is 95% kayaking and about 5% actual fishing.

In regards to the SC harbor, they have two human-powered vessel launches. One is right below Aldos, near the crane. The other & more user friendly launch is farther down the harbor parking lot toward the bridge, opposite from the CG building. It has signage & metered parking.
there's kelp at Blacks if you paddle toward Capitola, and up near Steamer lane if you paddle upcoast past the wharf.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Love this thread,
I always figured kayaking was a water sport and if I eat some sand it was just part of the game - laugh and go for it again.
Even though the idea of yak-fishing has been around for quite a while it is still in the growing phase and we all will have our ups and downs - nobody is a total expert at this and we will continue to improve as we grow.

Adman,
If you really don't like the wheelz please let me know what you want for them as I'm in the market for a new set.

See Ya Soon,
Eric / Yakhopper
Hobie Outback (dune)

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Love this thread,
I always figured kayaking was a water sport and if I eat some sand it was just part of the game - laugh and go for it again.
Even though the idea of yak-fishing has been around for quite a while it is still in the growing phase and we all will have our ups and downs - nobody is a total expert at this and we will continue to improve as we grow.

Adman,
If you really don't like the wheelz please let me know what you want for them as I'm in the market for a new set.

See Ya Soon,
Eric / Yakhopper

I really wouldnt feel good selling you these things. Although they are difficult to use in my mind they are also all I have for the time being. Working on that though so I'll hit ya up when I'm ready to part ways.  :smt002

MyAfroDZYak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Hi Adman and all,

Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't had much time to surf the site except trying to keep up to date on the wsb. I too am new to the sport and have fished Capitola exclusively except for the last 3 times out targeting wsb out of Monterey.

When I started in May, I too purchased a Tarpon 120 (Ultralight) planning on paddling down the river, pulling over a little sand and launching on the south side of the beach. This was fine for a while until the beach season picked up and I was told by the lifeguards that as long as I went out prior to 10:00 am and back in after 6:00pm I was fine, otherwise I needed to use the area north of the pier. In most cases this would be fine, except when the sets are close together and breaking late. I've eaten enough sand and lost/broken enough gear to always worry about surf launches and as said more so surf landings.

I have both sets of Wheeleez and the large ones work much better in my opinion. The smaller set tend to dig into the sand and are the reason for purchasing the larger set. I strap mine like the method Fuzzy Tom described and try to get under the seat being that I think this is the designed center balance point and that is why we sit there. It also helps if you have a bait tank or something in the back area to brace against. I use the larger set at MBK and have not had any problems.

Launching and landing off the pier is the way I do it now. The downside is they pull the ramp in early October (gone now) and will bring it back in May. So if you want to fish out there now, you'll be doing it from the surf.

I purchased a Hobie Revolution in August along with their cart that fits into the scupper holes and because it's narrower than the yak can pull up or let down the ramp unassisted. Everything must be leashed down or taken out of the yak when tipping the yak on it's side to insert the cart on the ramp coming in to avoid loss overboard. I have my Tarpon in storage, but will try to remember to check to see if the Hobie cart fits into the Tarpon scupper holes and advise.

As far as cutting down on equipment taken out, the night before I use to lay out all my stuff and it would cover a 5'x10' area, now 3 rods (bait holder has 3 rod holders built in), tackle fits into Hobie Tupperware box (stores in mid hatch), net, gaff, game clip and batteries for ff and bait tank. I didn't list safety equipment because I think that stuff is mandatory when going in the ocean. I am the ultimate tackle whore and have learned to keep separate tackle boxes, Tupperware and rods/reels for surf, lings/halibut/stripers, and now wsb to avoid over packing.

Sorry for being so long winded.
Dean

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
I have to personally thank all those who have shared their personal experiences as the newb :D Although I looked, and still continue, to all for advice and opinions, the ones that were very helpful to me as a newb were from the newbs themselves.

We were all once newbs, and I actually consider myself as one still, and part of being a newb is going through trial-and-error. I guess it's part of the "initiation" process of being a kayak fisherman :D

One thing I greatly appreciate is the growth and maturity that we each all go through together!! Thanks for sharing your experience with us all, and I look forward to fishing together :D

aka-kimo

• Salmon
  • 46 lb WSB 9/12
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I have to personally thank all those who have shared their personal experiences as the newb :D Although I looked, and still continue, to all for advice and opinions, the ones that were very helpful to me as a newb were from the newbs themselves.

We were all once newbs, and I actually consider myself as one still, and part of being a newb is going through trial-and-error. I guess it's part of the "initiation" process of being a kayak fisherman :D

One thing I greatly appreciate is the growth and maturity that we each all go through together!! Thanks for sharing your experience with us all, and I look forward to fishing together :D
<<<WHAT HE SAID.......I like launching from New Brighton beach V's the Capitola wharf. Its a little more protected from a swell unless its an extremely South swell then you can get some nasty beach slapper waves there. Something to consider next time your down that way.
I cannot comment on the wheeleze carts, IM still using my $15 dollar PVC cart I made and I don't think it will ever break. Its kind of ghetto compared to a nice factory one, but I was on a tight budget going into this sport.
I think the less you bring on board your Yak, the better. Two main rods and one sabiki rod if Im going for live bait.

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thank you for the well thought out responses. I appreciate guys taking the time to help with pointers or just let us know their not alone.

Thanks again guys!