Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shark attack on surfer at Marina State Beach 8/28/07  (Read 8069 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Because of the attack, state officials closed all the beaches from Monterey State Beach to Moss Landing, a 15-mile stretch where people were forbidden from entering the water Tuesday.

Why didn't they do this when Dan got whacked?

The ranger said the attack on Dan was off shore and that no one in shore would be in danger....at least that's what I heard on the day of the attack.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
San Jose Medical center used to have a top notch Trauma Center, people used to get airlifted in from all over the state.  When it closed I think they relocated the center to Valley Med.  Don't quote me on that though, its been a while and I'm not sure if thats still the case.   
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
One of those reports says a 12' shark, another I read said a 20' shark!

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

bajareefer

• Salmon
  • big sur ling 07/29/09
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
"One witness said the shark was a great white shark measuring at least 20 feet long, and the rangr says 12?"

The bite radius measurement should tell...already. Today they may announce it..
 Steve
Cortez Marine....
Marinelife consultant

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
"It's very rare, when you think of all the people in the water, diving, kayaking, surfing," he said. "More people die from bee strings or from being hit by lightning."

I hear this a lot....and I'm no expert on this subject by any means BUT....is there an actual study on how many more people are getting in the water these days? How about all the sea lions - that are also protected and that are breeding more and that are ever so present - especialy in the MBK area?

I remember Josh (P-Spark) mentioning something about the baby boom effect on GW's....ever since they have been protected, I'm fairly sure that we will see a rise on shark attacks / encounters...unless there's something else out there that are preying on GW's  :smt102

IMO: It's all adding up - The Land Lord will be collecting more and more. Becareful out there my friends!! Remember the "buddy system"  :smt052
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:53:55 AM by Mooch »

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I think it is really cool that I heard about this first through the NCKA grapevine.  I am glad to hear the guy is on the mend.
Etienne

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
That surfer was clearly mistaken for a hobie kayak.
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
"It's very rare, when you think of all the people in the water, diving, kayaking, surfing," he said. "More people die from bee strings or from being hit by lightning."

I hear this a lot....and I'm no expert on this subject by any means BUT....is there an actual study on how many more people are getting in the water these days?

I hear that all the time also.  I think the average person is much more likely to survive an encounter with a freakin bee than a run in with a white shark.  I've been stung by bees and despite the temporary discomfort I was able to go on with the rest of my life unaffected.....that is not the case with a shark attack.  I'd like to see realistic stats also!
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
i saw this morning on the news that the guy is in fair condition at the hospital. well thats good news.

i saw the bite on the blue surfboard as well. i wonder hiw big it was. maybe it was a giant mutant lingcod?

: )

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
did anyone ever hear back from Dan after the kayak incident? where did he go?

i know i would have quickly found myself some religion after something like that.

john

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Bee sting survivors aren't often left missing an arm or a butt cheek either...

I think we should have a C&R white shark 'hazing' season to teach them to fear humans.  We especially don't want them learning to follow boats for food like they do at Guadalupe...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
did anyone ever hear back from Dan after the kayak incident? where did he go?

i know i would have quickly found myself some religion after something like that.

john

Dan is out and about...he was at the Elk Derby up North and answered MANY questions regarding his encounter. It's good to see that he got back on the saddle right away. I remember clearly on the day he was attacked...that he was pretty bumed because he did not have a kayak to used for the following weekend  :smt003 A true sign of a waterman  :smt045

bajareefer

• Salmon
  • big sur ling 07/29/09
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Mooch writes;
 "I hear this a lot....and I'm no expert on this subject by any means BUT....is there an actual study on how many more people are getting in the water these days?"

Hey Mooch....
Whats an expert?
 With shifting baselines of data all the time and year after year....yesterdays experts on shark attack may be like yesterdays experts on computers.
          The ever changing...er...rising population of sea mammals in the water due to absolute protection ..."threatens" to return things nearer to normal...a condition no one has ever seen on our coast cept some 100 year old Portugese fisherman maybe.
Nearer to normal is a condition of equilibrium with predators, their predators and apex predators all being nearby all the time.
Add to it the rising numbers of players in the water now and it would be surprising if all bets were not off in the years to come.
        Lion experts may point out that people are not their natural prey and other such disclaimers, but tell it to the dozens of victims each year in Africa.
Could we be approaching an era of normalcy here?
 My big, wide Cobra fish n dive suddenly looks a lot smaller.
Steve

Imagine if sea lions had on line forums to report their attacks and near misses .....what would their on-line chatter look like?

Cortez Marine....
Marinelife consultant

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Imagine if sea lions had on line forums to report their attacks and near misses .....what would their on-line chatter look like?

THAT would be a best seller - if those sea lions were smart enough to make a book out of it :smt045
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 11:30:07 AM by Mooch »

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I can see it now, the sea lion's blog:
8/27-stole a black rockfish from another kayaker, heh heh. Sucka! Snaked a spot on the rock and pooped on the losers under me.
8/28-tried to hit on a female under the SC wharf but her boyfriend showed up, and his forehead protrusion was bigger than mine. Made out with an otter to quell my urge but hated myself afterward.
8/29-Hassled the surfers at Marina but got scoped by a pod of dolphins. Lousy dolphin! Then all the surfers left the water for some reason. They are such scardey catsAAAGH somethings biting me!!!!!!!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.