Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:20:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:04:19 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shark attack on surfer at Marina State Beach 8/28/07  (Read 8078 times)

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
  The Salinas news station KSBW (they have a website,KSBW.com, but I didn't see it on there)  had a report from Marina State Beach today, showing the blue shortboard of a surfer who was 70 yds off of Marina State Beach, near where the hang gliders hang (I think that's the Resevation Road (Walmart) exit).  He'd been hit by what they thought was a pretty big shark, taken to the hospital with wounds to thigh and torso, fellow surfers said he paddled in, but that "it didn't look good", that they had spotted some dolphins just before the attack. 

aka-kimo

• Salmon
  • 46 lb WSB 9/12
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
JUST HEARD A REPORT TODAY AROUND 12:30 OF A SHARK ATTACK ON A SURFER AT MARINA STATE BEACH, SURFER IN CRITICAL CONDITION.......MORE NEWS ON IT TONIGHT IM SURE.

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
that sux big time.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and thinking good thoughts. I'm sure the guy could use all the positive mojo he can get.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:17:33 PM by ScottThornley »

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Damm.... Thoughts are with ya Buddy..........
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Dude, why the hell med-evac him all the way to VMC?!   :smt013

Better not have been for some insurance restriction...

bajareefer

• Salmon
  • big sur ling 07/29/09
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Guys,
 I was cruising a spearfishing forum and unfortunately..........this just in;

Shark attacks surfer in Monterey Bay
From the Associated Press

2:17 PM PDT, August 28, 2007

A surfer was attacked by a shark in Monterey Bay early today and airlifted to a hospital with bite wounds to his torso and thigh, according to hospital and state park officials.

The 24-year-old victim, whose name was not released, was surfing with a half dozen other people at Marina State Beach when the shark attacked him from behind around 11 a.m., according to Loren Rex, a California State Parks spokesman.

The victim screamed and started punching the shark while trying to flee, Rex said.

"Then the shark took him down under the water," he said. "Witnesses saw a lot of thrashing and some blood coming up. Other witnesses saw the shark let him up before biting him one more time."

One witness said the shark was a great white shark measuring at least 20 feet long, which rescuers weren't able to immediately confirm, Rex said.

Surfers pulled the victim to shore and administered first aid, using a surf leash and a blanket as tourniquets to stop the bleeding until rescuers could arrive, Rex said.

The victim was conscious and breathing when he was taken away by ambulance. He was then airlifted to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, where he was in fair and stable condition Tuesday afternoon with lacerations to his torso and thigh, according to hospital spokeswoman Joy Alexiou.

The victim was going into surgery and was expected to survive, Alexiou said.

The Monterey County beach, located about 35 miles south of Santa Cruz, is well known for its sand dunes, hang gliding and rugged surf with very strong rip currents. The area where the surfer was attacked is considered an advanced surfing spot suitable only for skilled surfers.

Because of the attack, state officials closed all the beaches from Monterey State Beach to Moss Landing, a 15-mile stretch where people were forbidden from entering the water Tuesday.

Rex said this was the first recorded shark attack at Marina State Beach, but added that some divers have been attacked in Monterey Bay.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:45:04 AM by bajareefer »
Cortez Marine....
Marinelife consultant

bajareefer

• Salmon
  • big sur ling 07/29/09
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Another report from the local press;
It'll be all over the place tomorrow....
Steve

Shark Attack!
Posted by Jon Shafer at 8/28/2007 9:59 PM and is filed under uncategorized 
Great White shark attacks surfer in Monterey Bay As Reported in the San Jose Mercury News

By Laith Agha,
Larry Parsons and Sandra Gonzales
MediaNews
Article Launched: 08/28/2007 12:45:53 PM PDT

The damaged surfboard lays on the sand after a shark attack on a surfer at Marina State Beach in Marina on Tuesday. (DAVID ROYAL/The Herald)

Joe Jansen first heard a scream and immediately saw a pod of dolphins swim by and a huge splash. Then he saw the great white shark on top of Todd Endris, pulling him under water at the Marina State Beach in Monterey Bay.

Endris resurfaced seconds later, blood "gushing" from gashes in his back. Jansen then pulled the 24-year-old San Jose native back onto Endris' surf board and towed him toward the shore.

"He must have been in shock because he said he didn't feel any pain," Jansen said. "He was talking to us, answering questions."

Endris' Tuesday dramatic encounter with the shark was only the 10th recorded attack on a human being in Monterey County waters since 1952. Two of those attacks were fatal.

Endris suffered bite wounds to his torso and right thigh and underwent surgery at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. He was in fair condition at the hospital, where his parents held vigil for him that evening.

Since the attack on the Marina surfer, beachgoers on the southern side of Monterey Bay have been warned to stay out of the water and Marina State Beach will remain closed until state park officials and the Department of Fish and Game determine otherwise, said Loren Rex, spokesman for State Parks.

Warnings of the shark attack also have been posted from Monterey State Beach to Moss Landing Harbor.
The attack on Endris - an aquarium designer and a graduate of California State University-Monterey Bay - happened about 10:30 a.m. He was sitting on his board between waves when the 12-foot-long shark emerged from the water and bit him and his surfboard, dragging him beneath the surface.

The shark "was right on top of him and took him under," Jansen said.

Ultimately, Endris managed to ride a wave to land on his own, said Brian Simpson, 37, of Prunedale, who was also in the water at the time of the attack. "You could tell he was injured because the white water behind him was all red," Simpson said.

Jansen, Simpson and Wes Williams, who was also in the water, tended to Endris and talked to him while waiting for medical help. Endris was taken by ambulance to the Marina Municipal Airport, where he was airlifted to the San Jose hospital. The initial 911 call came from the Marina Coast Water District office, which is adjacent to the state beach's parking lot.

"A passerby ran up to the window and motioned to me that something was going on in the water," said Marc Lucca, the water district's general manager. "At first I couldn't understand him because I couldn't hear him through the water. Then he wrote 911 in the window and pointed to the water. Then I realized someone was hurt in the water."

Endris, who lives in Marina, was described as an avid surfer and a regular in the waters off Marina.
"Surfing is his passion," said his father, Michael Endris. "He knows what he's doing. He surfs everyday." His father said his son teaches surfing classes at the university and graduated in May 2006. He is also a graduate of Archbishop Mitty High School in San Jose.

"We were scared, of course," said his mother, Kathi Endris, on hearing the initial news of the attack from her son's friend.

Endris also worked at Picture Perfect Marine Systems shop in Marina. "He tries to surf every day it is surfable," said Pat Watson, a 58-year-old surfer and lecturer at CSU-Monterey Bay.

Watson surfed Wednesday morning further up the coast, but rushed to Marina beach when word of the shark attack spread through the surf community. "It's very unnerving," he said, his voice cracking.

Watson said a couple of kids reported seeing a shark in the water near the beach last month. "It's not really something you talk about when you're out in the water," Watson said.

Lee Morrow, who works with Endris at the aquarium shop, said he learned about the attack when he was heading to work. He ran out to the beach and took Endris' dog, a boxer-Labrador mix named Cosmo, back to the store with him.

His friends say Endris is a certified diver and has a degree in sports medicine.

Endris' friend, Chris Illig, rushed to the beach from work immediately after hearing about the attack. "It could have been anyone," said Illig. "I've been surfing with him for years. I was surfing last night, this morning, I surfed here the last four, five days straight out here. For it to happen to one of your close buddies . . ."

Marine biologist Robert Lea said it was clear the attack was by a great white shark, but not one of the biggest great whites. They can grow to more than 20 feet long, but this one was probably 12 to 13 feet, Lea said. Lea said posting the beach would be a precautionary move by state park officials.

But as to whether the shark that attacked Endris is still in the area is uncertain. "If you asked five different people, you'd probably get five different answers," he said.

Lea said August and September are the two months with the greatest number of shark attacks. But they are still a very rare occurrence.

Along the California, Oregon and Washington coasts, there's an average of 2.5 shark attacks annually, he said. "It's very rare, when you think of all the people in the water, diving, kayaking, surfing," he said. "More people die from bee strings or from being hit by lightning."

Cortez Marine....
Marinelife consultant

Sail Fisk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
thanks for the report.  It's time to follow Eric B and stuff my kayak hull with swimming oodles....  if one of those whitey put a hole in my kayak, surely my yak will sink and i'd a sitting duck.

-Ron
Ron del Mundo
So. San Francisco
"If you never get wet, cold, exhausted, or scared, you never appreciate being dry, warm, well rested, or safe."  (M. McCrea, Canoe & Kayak magazine)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Because of the attack, state officials closed all the beaches from Monterey State Beach to Moss Landing, a 15-mile stretch where people were forbidden from entering the water Tuesday.

Why didn't they do this when Dan got whacked?

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
 From reading/watching media reports around Monterey Bay, it seems to me that if you have any kind of serious injury you're going to be airlifted "over the hill" - and if your not airlifted, you either have nothing at all to worry about or the opposite.  Last night, two mountain bikers fell off a cliff in Nisene Marks SP and were airlifted to care for injuries.
 You have heard of the health care issues in this country and the effects on emergency care, haven't you? 

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Good news.  He is now reported in fair condition.  And if there are truly 2.5 attacks a year in CA, we are good for the balance of 2007!!.... :smt003

http://www.montereyherald.com/ci_6747239?nclick_check=1
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.