Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 54KAYAKERS RESCUED FROM TOMALES  (Read 1457 times)

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
just saw on the news that they had to be rescued last night due to crazy winds. My neighbor Mark is one of the Marin county firefighters who works a rescue jet ski there. He and I are fishing gerstle cove on thursday if anyone wants to come fish and get all the gory details…..p.s. this is his first time kayak fishing so it should be a good cherry popping.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Can't make it but please give us the gory details now.  Really 54? 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Wow.  Night time kayaking doesn't seem very safe even in a guided tour.  Unless you are BBQing in the bay outside a baseball game. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Um, was it this group?
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=67815.msg764226#msg764226

I sure hope not, since it seemed like a really bad idea, and was discussed by folks as a bad idea.

Glad everyone ended up safe. Could have been much worse.

Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Um, was it this group?

I sure hope not, since it seemed like a really bad idea, and was discussed by folks as a bad idea.

I was wondering the same thing. But the news report said it was a "professionally guided tour," and Mondo's post seem like it was an informal tour.   :smt102.

Either way, glad everyone is ok.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Um, was it this group?

I was wondering the same thing. But the news report said it was a "professionally guided tour," and Mondo's post seem like it was an informal tour.   :smt102.

Either way, glad everyone is ok.

The press gets the details wrong a lot.  Everything else matches up.

Glad everyone was ok
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

• "Being on the water...it replenishes my soul"
  • View Profile Urban Chicken Consulting
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
As it turns out, I was out there last night but was NOT part of the group that needed to be rescued, haha.
The groups that were rescued were tours led by the commercial outfitters in the area.

I am a student in this year's BASK skills clinic, and we paddled out to Marshall Beach on Saturday morning, set-up camp, and then did various on the-water activities (there were about 25 in our group). All day the winds were stopping and starting from different directions.
We headed out to see the bio- luminescence at about 8:30 pm. Paddling in the dark isn't difficult as long as you only use red lights and pay attention....and if conditions are right.

Most of our pods were back in about 10pm, because the conditions were building and we figured out it was NOT a good idea to continue. Some of us saw the tour groups who were headed out to Hogs Island, which is exactly where the conditions were the worst! Really bad judgment on the side of the outfitters who were leading those tours. We saw the helicopters and search lights from our camp site.

Just another good reminder why checking conditions before you go out is a good thing. And yes, conditions can change - that is why if you get out there and things aren't looking good, you go back!

-Cherie

:smt117
A.K.A. "Pikachu" (according to Rockfish)
2012 Eddyline Caribbean 14

Pompano120

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

Just another good reminder why checking conditions before you go out is a good thing. And yes, conditions can change - that is why if you get out there and things aren't looking good, you go back!

-Cherie

it's easier said than done. I think it's part judgment and part leaving disappointed. there are numerous times when we go fishing that the launch site conditions is not what it says on the report. when you have a long drive to get there, sometimes we don't use good judgement and take the risk because it's disappointing to turn back. i'm sure that is what these tour guys were thinking. they may be experienced but the group may not be.

• "Being on the water...it replenishes my soul"
  • View Profile Urban Chicken Consulting
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
That and maybe how much money they would loose....

But that is me being cynical. When it comes to being safe, we can never take weather changes for granted. And you have to be willing to say "yeah, Im not going out in that" and have it be ok.
Our group was well trained and had about 20....we didn't have any incidents and knew when to go back :-)

And to me, the guides know better, or at least they should. Tamales can be unpredictable and if you have 54 people counting on your expertise you've got to be prepared.

:smt117
A.K.A. "Pikachu" (according to Rockfish)
2012 Eddyline Caribbean 14

Need2hav

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Hi all :) Just to reconfirm, that was not me nor my group. We were there on that same launch but on Friday inght. It wasn't safe. I called the shot to not go out further than a  hundred feet from shore and stayed out only for 1/2 hr that Friday night. We tried it again on Saturday night Forgot where we launched but it was further South hoping the weather was calmer and it was but no bioluminescence was seen. It was all good. A little common sense goes a long way.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Hi all :) Just to reconfirm, that was not me nor my group. We were there on that same launch but on Friday inght. It wasn't safe. I called the shot to not go out further than a  hundred feet from shore and stayed out only for 1/2 hr that Friday night. We tried it again on Saturday night Forgot where we launched but it was further South hoping the weather was calmer and it was but no bioluminescence was seen. It was all good. A little common sense goes a long way.
Phew. That was my first thought. Glad that your group had the common sense to not push it.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

it's easier said than done. I think it's part judgment and part leaving disappointed. there are numerous times when we go fishing that the launch site conditions is not what it says on the report. when you have a long drive to get there, sometimes we don't use good judgement and take the risk because it's disappointing to turn back. i'm sure that is what these tour guys were thinking. they may be experienced but the group may not be.

this is indeed exactly the reason bad things happen on the water.
Much like "ditching your weightbelt" you need to be prepared for the disappointment before you ever make a plan to go out. It is not a question of if but when. I've bagged many trips, some with overnight drives, some on Tomales or the surrounding Esteros, and I consider "knowing when to say no-go" a sign of true experience.
there will always be another day to go out.

pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Glad it wasn't you guys and that you exercised good judgment.

my next thought is - holy hell how may people kayak tomales at night?  Thats damn near 150 people between the 54 rescued, your 60 and the other group of ~30. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

HumMichael

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Definitely a good ending to a dangerous situation.

anything